What US city should host the Olympics next? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:27:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What US city should host the Olympics next? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What American city deserves the Olympics?
New Orleans

San Francisco

Austin

Washington DC

Dallas

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: What US city should host the Olympics next?  (Read 4624 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: August 11, 2012, 01:02:29 AM »

Zero chance it'll be New Orleans. Scheduling the Olympics in New Orleans during hurricane season?  It's not going to happen.  At best New Orleans would get to host the yachting events if St, Louis or some other Mississippi River city gets to hold the Olympics again.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 01:18:19 AM »

Zero chance it'll be New Orleans. Scheduling the Olympics in New Orleans during hurricane season?  It's not going to happen.

A May 15 - June 2 time frame would work to solve that problem.

Holding the Summer Olympics earlier than July messes up the schedules of too many sports federations.  It won't happen.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 01:55:29 AM »

Zero chance it'll be New Orleans. Scheduling the Olympics in New Orleans during hurricane season?  It's not going to happen.

A May 15 - June 2 time frame would work to solve that problem.

Holding the Summer Olympics earlier than July messes up the schedules of too many sports federations.  It won't happen.

They managed to host the Olympics in Sydney in September 15 - October 1 because of the Southern Hemispheres seasonal differences, I think that would more of a hectic schedule than a May one.

Adding more time is far less stressful than taking it away.

Since 1932, when the Olympics were compressed to being held in a brief two week period, the Summer Olympics opening ceremony has been held 9 times in July, 5 times in August, 2 times in September, 2 times in October, and once in November (1956 Melbourne).

Maybe the IOC would go for an October New Orleans Olympics, tho that would play havoc with our election politics, but definitely not May.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 06:30:44 PM »

Global warming will ensure that Santiago will never host the winter games, especially not in 2030.

The scheduling difficulties alone ensure Santiago and all other Southern hemisphere venues will never host the winter games, even if we had global cooling.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 06:31:59 PM »

Yeah, I opposed the Frankfurt bid on those grounds. Of course, I then was still offended when the NOK decided to go with Leipzig. Hamburg had the obvious best bid among the Germans, Frankfurt the only other non-total-joke one. The IOC's not even allowing Leipzig into the vote was not so much a disaster waiting to happen, it was inevitable. It was, in fact, known to the NOK beforehand that of the five German bids only Hamburg and Frankfurt met the IOC's minimum requirements.

Perhaps they purposely did that to avoid having to host the games.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 05:35:46 PM »

To be honest I think I should've added Denver, for the Winter Games.

After what happened in 1976, Denver has zero chance of ever getting the Olympic Games.  Being awarded the games and then telling the IOC, "Nevermind, we're not gonna do it," with no war or natural disaster as an excuse has permanently tanked Denver's chances.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 01:16:08 AM »

I think there is going to be a move towards holding the games in cities that already have the infrastructure in place (unless the games go to somewhere in the developing world) So I wouldn't rule out a Los Angeles bid again.

I doubt that will LA will host it again. It's probably going to be one of the cities I listed in this poll.

I think LA has an excellent shot at the 2028, 2032, or 2036 games, most likely 2028 since that'll probably be the next Summer Olympics held in the Americas.

Looks like the only two possible candidates for a Winter Games are Seattle and Denver.

Neither has a bobsled track, tho they could add one.  Lake Tahoe is an option, probably making use of Squaw Valley as the ski area. Reno would likely host the skating events, and it would likely be easier to build a bobsled run on the Nevada side of the border.  The USOC won't be bidding for 2022, so there's time to plan.  With no North American bid in the works for 2022, it's practically a guarantee that North America gets the 2026 games.

Bozeman is said to be interested, but there's no chance it would get the games.

Lake Placid might be able to get a third games, but 2034 or 2038 are more likely years for a successful Olympic bid.

Salt Lake is unlikely to get the games for several more decades, not because of the bribery, but because the Olympics don't like going to the same place too often.  The only way Salt Lake gets 2026 is if none of the other US proposals are sound enough to submit to the IOC and Canada doesn't make a bid.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies