Biden vs Ryan (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:08:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Biden vs Ryan (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Biden vs Ryan  (Read 4541 times)
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« on: August 11, 2012, 12:33:03 PM »

I'm still gonna go out on a limb and still say edge Biden. But a Ryan debate legit scares me now. Can the old man pull it out? What does it look like? And no trolling saying " Ryan will out-statistic Biden, and he'll just gaffe the entire time". (Winfield and Politico)
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 12:48:18 PM »

I'm still gonna go out on a limb and still say edge Biden. But a Ryan debate legit scares me now. Can the old man pull it out? What does it look like? And no trolling saying " Ryan will out-statistic Biden, and he'll just gaffe the entire time". (Winfield and Politico)

Biden only just scraped by against Palin. He'll be crushed.
Palin just beat expectations. Everyone thought Biden won.
"According to a poll of uncommitted voters conducted immediately after the debate by CBS News and the former Knowledge Network, 46% thought Senator Biden won the debate, 21% thought Governor Palin had won, and 33% thought it was a tie. Fox News Channel held a poll regarding the performance of each candidate, with 51% of the votes in favor of Biden, and 39% in favor of Palin. The Opinion Research Corporation's poll on the debate revealed that 51% of viewers felt Biden had won, while 36% were in favor of Palin. In the same poll, 87% said Biden was capable of fulfilling the duties of the vice presidency, while 42% said Palin is. Palin was considered more likable however, scoring 54% to Biden's 36%.Mark Halperin of Time graded both candidates' performances a B."
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 02:00:49 PM »

Objectively, Biden is boned. The man legitimately did just scrape by Palin, proving that either she had one night out of character or that his specialty seriously isn't debating, and now he gets to match someone who has spent most of his recent years in Congress debating.

Ryan might have all the charisma of a toaster, but strictly speaking, I find him far more intelligent than both his opponent and his predecessor.
The thing is, the campaign didn't want Biden to pummel Palin and seem like he was talking down to her, like Bush seemed in 1984 against Ferraro. Now with Ryan, Biden can go all out against Ryan and Romney like he did back in the Senate. Don't forget, Biden comes from a time where there was actually spirited floor fights and debate in the US Senate. Everything wasn't done beforehand by party leaders in committee back then. Ryan is also gifted at argument. What's certain, this will be the most interesting VP debate in decades.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 03:06:38 PM »

The trick is to make Biden look very old and out of touch.  Biden has the energy of a man ten years younger, but he's still a relatively old guy; and the age will catch up to him at some point.  Make Biden look senile and stupid with all his gaffes.  I would advise Biden to get a lot of rest for the next month, just try to do nothing stressful.  
Biden has only made like one gaffe all year, and that was his endorsement of marriage equality. And even that one wasn't considered a huge gaffe.
Ryan may look too young and nerdy compared to Biden.  Ryan has to connect to voters empathetically and not with numbers.  He needs to be the compassionate next generation of Catholic politicians, taking the baton from Biden. Ryan has to make voters love him more than Joe.  
That's easier said than done. Biden's very popular among working class whites. He's got that crazy lovable grandpa, or favorite drunk uncle thing going for him. Romney strikes you as your smug neighbor or boss and Ryan is tour brother in law who the family never quite likes.
And I think Brian Schweitzer is next in line as "the compassionate next generation of Catholic politicians." That title been in the Democratic Family since the 1960s. JFK, RFK, EMK, JRB, and now BDS.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 01:25:45 PM »

I think this will be evenly matched like 2000 was. Two serious, down-to-earth wonks who know their stuff and each other. Biden could gaffe or appear condescending, Ryan could come off too green-eyeshady if he's badly coached. Both should just be themselves.

On Biden-Palin: What sirnick said. Anyone who thinks Palin "beat" Biden either didn't watch it or is trolling.
I think you're right. 2000s debate, information and preparedness wise was a draw. BUT, Cheney came off as funny and like able (weird huh?) and so people gave it to him. That's probably what's gonna happene here. They'll both come off as knowledgeable, but Biden will seem funnier and more down to earth, while Ryan will seem eager and to matter-of-factly.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 09:37:43 PM »

In rsponse to Mondale84

You obviously did not see the exchange between Ryan and Obama on CNN footage where Obama backed down in an exchange with Ryan on budgetary matters by stating that is a matter that requires further discussion.
You obviously didn't see the exchange between Ryan and Obama and pretty much every other House Republican back in 2010. He answered Ryan's question and then went on to explain everything soma caveman could get it. He smacked down each and everyone of them.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies