NE 2: Job Creation and Infrastructure Renewal Act - Passed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:59:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE 2: Job Creation and Infrastructure Renewal Act - Passed
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NE 2: Job Creation and Infrastructure Renewal Act - Passed  (Read 1364 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 11, 2012, 01:26:19 PM »
« edited: August 15, 2012, 11:07:11 PM by OBAMA = NIXON II »

Job Creation and Infrastructure Renewal Act

1. Half of the surplus funds from the Northeast Region's budget will go into a fund created by the regional government to support immediate and direct job creation through public works and infrastructure building.

2. The fund will be administered by a Committee for Public Works, the members of which will be selected by the Governor of the Northeast Region.

3. This act will not take effect unless there is a surplus in the regional budget.

4. This act will be automatically repealed once the regional unemployment rate is below 6% for three consecutive months.

Sponsor:  Alfred F. Jones

Debate time:  72 hours
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 03:31:34 PM »

I thought we were going to use the surplus for the capital relocation project.  Would this bill conflict with that plan?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 03:34:54 PM »

I thought we were going to use the surplus for the capital relocation project.  Would this bill conflict with that plan?

Simfan's proposal called for us to issue bonds, IIRC.

The two arent mutually exclusive.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 03:36:03 PM »

AFAIK, the relocation will use half (if everything goes according to plan) of the funds, and this is the other half. That's why I stipulated half in the bill.

Simfan, Winfield, Cincy, Mondale: Thoughts?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 04:21:47 PM »

Actually, this bill would conflict with the latest capital relocation proposal (which never passed):

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Generally, I prefer to use bonds to finance capital improvement projects (no pun intended), so I would not object to changing the source of funding when we reconsider this act. Admittedly, this is a more expensive solution, and if the fiscal conservatives among us insist, I'd prefer that the surplus go toward relocating the capital, which will be a job-creating move anyway.

(Alternatively, relocating the capital could be treated as just one out of many capital improvement projects to be pursued in accordance with this bill.)

I introduced a similar bill to Simfan's proposal with some changes to it that has yet to be taken up by the Assembly, and I think that the capital project as well as the business tax cut that the bill includes would do plenty for the region's economy.  However, if there's a need to pass Alfred's bill as well, I can modify it so that the funds come from elsewhere such as his bill, like you mentioned.

What do you think, Alfred?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 05:45:43 PM »

I actually like the proposal from Representative Jones.

Putting funds into infrastructure and public works construction can have a positive effect on a lagging economy by providing jobs, and putting money into infrasctucture and public works has positive spin off effects for the economy as those earning an income again will themselves put money back into the economy, paying rent or a mortgage, buying groceries, other family spending, etc.

Public funds going into infrasctucture and public works projects in which private sector companies are hired to do the work allows these private sector companies and industries  to hire more workers, and expand their businesses.

This is actually a good use for surplus public funds, but only to be used when there is in fact a surplus, as stated in the bill.

We should find a way of incorporating this bill into the capital relocation issue.  The two need not be mutually exclusive.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 05:57:10 PM »

Maybe we could also add a provision that requires the roofs of all future government office buildings to have white rooftops?  I have a bill pending in the Senate that would subsidize 25% of the cost for projects like that, and the government would benefit by saving 20% in energy costs.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 06:11:43 PM »

Maybe we could also add a provision that requires the roofs of all future government office buildings to have white rooftops?  I have a bill pending in the Senate that would subsidize 25% of the cost for projects like that, and the government would benefit by saving 20% in energy costs.

Why stop there? Why not put solar panels on the roofs?

I don't really care how we divvy up the money, as long as we can find enough to pay for both of the bills. Do we have any figures on how much the relocation will cost?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 06:20:58 PM »

Why stop there? Why not put solar panels on the roofs?

I don't really care how we divvy up the money, as long as we can find enough to pay for both of the bills. Do we have any figures on how much the relocation will cost?

The bill in the Senate covers white rooftops only.  I like solar panels, but I want to balance efficiency with cost, so I think white rooftops are a step in the right direction.

Unfortunately, I don't believe we have those figures.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 06:54:39 PM »

To the Shuamobile!
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 07:03:13 PM »

By the way, I should note that it would be most responsible for the Northeast government- or any government, for that matter- to subsidize renewable energy alternatives if it's done in tiny amounts, since Germany has seen less than stellar success with its overly generous solar program.  If the sponsor or any other Representative would like to focus on this issue more, we should allocate more funding toward scientific research and less on solar power subsidies.  Just an FYI. Smiley
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 09:09:41 PM »

I'm down with that.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 11:03:14 PM »

We should find a way of incorporating this bill into the capital relocation issue.  The two need not be mutually exclusive.

While it may be difficult to accomplish with less than a week remaining in this legislative session, this is a worthwhile proposal. Rep. Winfield, do you have any idea as to how this might be accomplished?

Thank you Governor.  We would have to prioritize the expenditure of excess public funds as they become available.  The construction of a new capital would be a major infastructure and public works project in and of itself, clearly the major project for some time.  If infrastructure or public works elsewhere are essential, then these essential projects should be completed, as not to build or fix when necessary would cause greater costs in the future.
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 11:36:46 PM »

While it may be difficult to accomplish with less than a week remaining in this legislative session, this is a worthwhile proposal. Rep. Winfield, do you have any idea as to how this might be accomplished?

Thank you Governor.  We would have to prioritize the expenditure of excess public funds as they become available.  The construction of a new capital would be a major infastructure and public works project in and of itself, clearly the major project for some time.  If infrastructure or public works elsewhere are essential, then these essential projects should be completed, as not to build or fix when necessary would cause greater costs in the future.

This sounds good, though I would still like to see bonds issued for the Capital Relocation Project.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2012, 06:17:59 AM »

It had been my impression that half would go to the capital and half would go to the payment of debts. If it is stimulus you desire, then I find the construction of a new capital area to be an excellent source of stimulus.

The bonds were meant to supplement construction funds if the budget surplus was ever to be reduced.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2012, 12:56:14 PM »

I'm OK with the capital-as-stimulus plan.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 07:26:51 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2012, 07:29:02 PM by OBAMA = NIXON II »

Debate has now ended.

Voting is now open on this bill.

Voting will be for the next 24 hours or until all members have voted.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2012, 07:30:26 PM »

Aye
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 07:36:40 PM »