Paul Ryan: the elephant in the room
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:36:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Paul Ryan: the elephant in the room
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Will Republicans vote for a mormon and a catholic?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 78

Author Topic: Paul Ryan: the elephant in the room  (Read 3727 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2012, 01:17:23 PM »

If the Dems are anti rich bigots, just why do so many rich people vote for them?  Self loathing I guess is the answer. There seems to be a lot of that on the Fruited Plain - if one believed that everything pounded out on a keyboard and put up on the internets were true.

This is a quite a nasty little thread isn't it?
Rhodie
Rookie
South Africa

« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2012, 01:20:20 PM »

If the Dems are anti rich bigots, just why do so many rich people vote for them?  Self loathing I guess is the answer. There seems to be a lot of that on the Fruited Plain - if one believed that everything pounded out on a keyboard and put up on the internets were true.

Because many are put off by the social conservatism of the Republicans. I was more talking about the rank and file of the Democratic Party.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2012, 01:22:04 PM »

And quit trying to paint the Republican base as some kind of intolerant group of voters.

Oh they do a good enough job of that themselves. There's no need to paint! Smiley

Though to be fair, the Democratic base does just as good a job of intolerance by spewing up anti-rich progressive economically disastrous, anti-religious tolerant offensive, anti-military peaceful appeasement views.

Not forcing your beliefs on others via the state is "anti-religious" and "offensive"?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2012, 01:23:46 PM »

Because many are put off by the social conservatism of the Republicans. I was more talking about the rank and file of the Democratic Party.

Oh so close to half the rich people vote for Dems even though the "rank and file" of that party hates them?  Their level of self abnegation is most admirable isn't it? Given their most estimable character, it is hard to imagine why they would be so hated. They seem almost saintly actually.
Rhodie
Rookie
South Africa

« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2012, 01:25:02 PM »

And quit trying to paint the Republican base as some kind of intolerant group of voters.

Oh they do a good enough job of that themselves. There's no need to paint! Smiley

Though to be fair, the Democratic base does just as good a job of intolerance by spewing up anti-rich progressive economically disastrous, anti-religious tolerant offensive, anti-military peaceful appeasement views.

Not forcing your beliefs on others via the state is "anti-religious" and "offensive"?

Not necessarily, but the smug, patronising, superior way in which much of the Democratic base expresses its views on religion is very offensive, and makes me want to put a fist through the screen of what ever monitor I am looking at.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2012, 01:26:08 PM »

Not necessarily, but the smug, patronising, superior way in which much of the Democratic base expresses its views on religion is very offensive, and makes me want to put a fist through the screen of what ever monitor I am looking at.

Not half as offensive as the bigoted crap much of the Republican base spews.
Rhodie
Rookie
South Africa

« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2012, 01:30:36 PM »

I'd say about 50-50.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2012, 01:38:54 PM »

I'd say about 50-50.

I respectfully disagree, as a victim of European anti-GOP propaganda, of course.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2012, 02:23:07 PM »

And there's your answer.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2012, 03:30:00 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Because they want to be the only rich ones.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2012, 03:54:46 PM »

Do you seriously believe all the bullsh**t you spew?

You really are a piece of work Jones.  Truly a piece of work.  Crude as well. 
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2012, 10:53:02 PM »

To bear no grudge against the wealthy is actually a highly virtuous stance.

To claim, as you did, that so-called 'anti-rich' 'bigotry' is a 'problem' is a despicable, craven and cretinous stance, you cretin.

As hard as it may be to believe, not everyone admires the rich as much as you do. 
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2012, 10:58:59 PM »

I would submit that there is a distinction between bearing no 'grudge' against the wealthy, which can be argued to indeed be virtuous on a personal level, and having no desire or seeing no need to account for the fact that they are wealthy and hence can by definition afford more when constructing public policy.
milhouse24
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2012, 11:27:19 PM »

Bill Clinton was a classic cultural southerner and he was a member of the DLC; and many liberals didn't think Clinton was progressive enough, yet he won both his elections. 

The McCain-Palin ticket was flawed, primarily because McCain was 70 years old. 

The NYC liberal media may hate southerners, but in reality, southern voters still impact Presidential elections.  They helped GW Bush win 2 close elections against "northern liberal tickets" 

If Romney chose Pawlenty, his strategy would be to try to flip the northern-midwest blue states.  Paul Ryan is now the standin for the Pawlenty strategy - which is trying to flip Michigan, Wisconsin, and Iowa.  This strategy is probably Mitt's best chance. 

But it does ignore the Southern strategy, and leave Ohio, Virginia, and Florida in question. 

But now it depends on the economy, and the country's satisfaction with Obama.  If the economy slightly improves, then Obama will win re-election.  If not, then Obama will lose. 

Most southerners are tired of Obama's liberal policies, but will they decide that "northern" Romney is the better alternative??? 

Its more or less now up to Paul Ryan to convince Southerners that Romney is a trustworthy alternative to Obama's liberalism. 

Frankly, I though Portman or Thune would have been better to secure Southern swing states, and "common man" voters.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2012, 12:16:09 PM »

Paul Ryan is certainly not the type of Catholic that a Christian would vote against.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2012, 12:18:02 PM »

Paul Ryan is certainly not the type of Catholic that a Christian would vote against.

A Randian is supposed to appeal to Christians?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2012, 12:31:55 PM »

A Randian is supposed to appeal to Christians?

If Ryan is a "Randian" (he apparently has moved on anyway), just why does he spend so much time saying he is trying to save from fiscal collapse programs Rand would hate, such as SS and Medical subsidies? That doesn't sound "Randian" at all.  You may not agree with his way out of the fiscal box, but we are hardly on Rand's planet here.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2012, 03:39:19 PM »

Let's put it this way:  Who on this board would be the most anti-Mormon and anti-Catholic poster?  What's his avatar?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2012, 03:45:04 PM »

Let's put it this way:  Who on this board would be the most anti-Mormon and anti-Catholic poster?  What's his avatar?

Biden 2024
wolfentoad66
Norfolk Island

« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2012, 08:57:06 PM »

Do you seriously believe all the bullsh**t you spew?

Winfield is a troll/satire poster. Everyone knows it.
milhouse24
« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2012, 09:53:12 PM »

Will Democrats ever vote for a Mormon president?  Probably not because they are bigots, lol. 

MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2012, 10:34:10 PM »

Will Democrats ever vote for a Mormon president?  Probably not because they are bigots, lol.  

If he's a Mormon Democrat, then they might vote for the guy.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies