Will there be a movement to deny Ryan communion? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:10:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Will there be a movement to deny Ryan communion? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will there be a movement to deny Ryan communion?  (Read 4772 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: August 11, 2012, 11:18:54 PM »

Phil and realisticidealist, I'm kind of curious what you think of communion denial under any circumstances. My church is fine with communion to anyone who's a professing Christian. I really don't like the idea of cutting anyone off for some action as being "unworthy" or whatnot. I'm aware this rarely happens in the Catholic Church today but there are plenty that make a fuss about it, and then you have incidents like that priest in DC who denied it to a woman at her lesbian lover's funeral.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 02:16:58 AM »

I should note that Catholics don't really take the communion rules seriously anyway, like how many decline communion in Protestant churches? When I got baptized and my aunt was in attendance, I saw her take communion. So a double whammy, she was already attending and filming my baptism, which many Catholics would probably consider blasphemous (and admittedly many Lutherans as well), and taking communion in a church that's not only non-Catholic but memorialist. I also saw the Catholics on that side of the family taking communion at my cousin's Lutheran confirmation (attendance at the confirmation itself being not problematic and far less so than of my baptism, but taking communion at it still a huge no-no.)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 12:47:50 PM »

You are seriously misinformed by what Catholics believe. There's nothing wrong with her attending your baptism, and likewise, for funerals, etc. My father's funeral was in the Episcopalian church - and I was heavily involved in the arrangements.

From what I understand the issue isn't so much that I was being baptized in a non-Catholic church but being baptized as an adult after I was as an infant, making it an "invalid sacrament". The Catholic church would be OK with attending the non-Catholic baptism of an adult that was never baptized as a baby.

There should be no denial of Communion, even to Protestants and non-Christians.

I would never take communion at a Catholic church anyway no matter what the rules were. No not because of gays or women's status or whatever but because I am simply not comfortable with the premise of transubstantiation and taking part in it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 10:54:04 PM »

The Catholic views on transubstantiation aren't in the Bible either and are basically just contrived by the church, especially it's excuse as to why other churches can't do it (something not claimed by other churches with some type of Real Presence theology), which is the biggest issue with it and why I can't accept it and why I would not take communion in any Catholic church regardless of it was "allowed". I'd have no problem taking communion in any church with open communion or open to all Christians.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 11:05:34 PM »

The Catholic views on transubstantiation aren't in the Bible either and are basically just contrived by the church, especially it's excuse as to why other churches can't do it (something not claimed by other churches with some type of Real Presence theology), which is the biggest issue with it and why I can't accept it and why I would not take communion in any Catholic church regardless of it was "allowed". I'd have no problem taking communion in any church with open communion or open to all Christians.

Whether or not transubstantiation is in the Bible depends on what the meaning of 'is' is.

You have to take biblical literalism to the extreme to say it is, which is somewhat ironic because biblical literalists reject it. But jmfcst said something that I totally agree, if it wasn't the actual body and blood at the Last Supper, it certainly isn't later.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies