Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 16, 2014, 10:36:50 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Questions and Answers
| |-+  The Atlas
| | |-+  Stating facts is not allowed now?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Stating facts is not allowed now?  (Read 2062 times)
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2012, 05:13:57 pm »
Ignore

So earlier today Snowstalker made an astute observation in irc chat, and I decided to take the idea and expand on it in 2012 board. Apparently mods do not allow true negative things to be said about Republican hacks get to make hyperbolas all day about Obama.
Apparently there are only 3 black people in the crowd, according to snowie. Certainly there were more Jews present in Hitler's speeches.

Post Deleted for Excessive Hyperbole with 2 (out of 10) infraction points
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 06:03:53 pm by Senator Seatown »Logged
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 05:47:12 pm »
Ignore

What about this implied comparison is edifying?

SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 05:48:25 pm »
Ignore

Please find a source as to how many Jews were present at Nazi rallies in the 30s. Then it can be considered a fact. Till then, it isn't, unless you were there, which for some reason I doubt.

Sheriff Buford TX Justice
AndrewCT
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 05:49:50 pm »
Ignore

It was me. Show me the facts on that and we'll talk.

My parents are pretty good about smelling a rat. 
Let me put this as clear as I can (saying this to myself, as well, so I can see it): I WILL get a job with CADD and I WILL keep the job.
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 05:56:31 pm »
Ignore

I hope that you're not implying that this post is only unacceptable because Seatown isn't citing his sources.

GM Napoleon
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 05:58:04 pm »
Ignore

That is a disgusting post that deserved to be infracted. Taking posting advice from Snowstalker is not a good idea.

When I was in the third grade, I thought that I was Jewish
Because I could count, my nose was big, and I kept my bank account fullish
I told my mom, tears blurring my vision
He said, "Mort, you've loved God since before circumcision"
AndrewCT
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 06:00:03 pm »
Ignore

I hope that you're not implying that this post is only unacceptable because Seatown isn't citing his sources.

No, not at all. But you can't get all upset about a post being deleted because you're "stating facts" when you're not.

Let me put this as clear as I can (saying this to myself, as well, so I can see it): I WILL get a job with CADD and I WILL keep the job.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 06:02:10 pm »
Ignore

Please find a source as to how many Jews were present at Nazi rallies in the 30s. Then it can be considered a fact. Till then, it isn't, unless you were there, which for some reason I doubt.
I don't have direct answer for that, but here is what a google search found.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Did_some_Jews_vote_for_Hitler
GM Napoleon
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 06:03:11 pm »
Ignore

That is, unfortunately, standard moderation policy. When I called Snowstalker a racist, I had to show Inks the proof that Snowstalker was indeed a racist to get the points removed.

A.G. Snowstalker
Snowstalker
YaBB God
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -8.45, S: -4.26

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 06:03:23 pm »
Ignore

Wow, Napoleon being a dick? I'm shocked!

LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 06:06:12 pm »
Ignore

Fact:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0312421532?p=S00M&checkSum=FLOZxRgpgL7QvZMQDdUn762e6tg1sMhCa5%2FKQZ9elh8%3D
GM Napoleon
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 06:09:59 pm »
Ignore

Finding Holocaust jokes disgusting does not qualify as "being a dick" for normal people. Please continue with your intelligent contributions.

A.G. Snowstalker
Snowstalker
YaBB God
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -8.45, S: -4.26

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 06:15:13 pm »
Ignore

I was referring to:

That is a disgusting post that deserved to be infracted. Taking posting advice from Snowstalker is not a good idea.

I also made a similar comment which was similarly censored.

GM Napoleon
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 06:18:09 pm »
Ignore

I was referring to:

I also made a similar comment which was similarly censored.

Considering your past statements on racial matters, I do not see what is so wrong with what I said in the context given. Posts like the ones we are discussing are objectively bad and are bound to offend. There is no humor in the Holocaust, or racial epithets, to most people on this forum.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 06:23:03 pm by President Napoleon »Logged

AndrewCT
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2012, 06:25:15 pm »
Ignore

Still not removing the points.

shua
YaBB God
Russian Federation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2012, 06:28:17 pm »
Ignore

Some Italian Jews were fascists, and Italian fascism was not inherently anti-Semitic. I'm not sure what you think this proves.

LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2012, 06:32:56 pm »
Ignore

Some Italian Jews were fascists, and Italian fascism was not inherently anti-Semitic. I'm not sure what you think this proves.
Presence of Jews at fascist rallies?
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2012, 06:36:07 pm »
Ignore

Drop this.

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2012, 06:53:53 pm »
Ignore

One little problem is that it kind of implies Mittens thinks of black people what Hitler thought of Jews. Anyhoo, it is the kind of thing that tends to cause silly flame wars. I would have just deleted the post myself, and sent a PM explaining why. No death points, because I don't think it was intended really to have that implication - it just did. Cheers.
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2012, 07:16:53 pm »
Ignore

Finding Holocaust jokes disgusting does not qualify as "being a dick" for normal people. Please continue with your intelligent contributions.

It wasn't a holocaust joke.

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

Marokai Besieged
Marokai Blue
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2012, 09:02:17 pm »
Ignore

This is not a battle worth fighting.

© tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -8.00

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2012, 11:59:51 pm »
Ignore

This is not a battle worth fighting.

every battle is a battle worth fighting, much as a union prosecutes a grievance, if we don't fight for our weakest or lowest link, what's left?  for even once the fact was proven, Andrew shrugged it off: "still not changing", God himself could not make Andrew do it, and the laws are girded too tight.  in character Al just says 'drop it', relying on the mythical European sensibility or just a general fear of his jaded personality.  remove the points!

there's no ghosts in the graveyard, that's not where they live
they live in between a, 'what is' and 'what if?'
only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2012, 04:33:17 am »
Ignore

One little problem is that it kind of implies Mittens thinks of black people what Hitler thought of Jews. Anyhoo, it is the kind of thing that tends to cause silly flame wars. I would have just deleted the post myself, and sent a PM explaining why. No death points, because I don't think it was intended really to have that implication - it just did. Cheers.
It doesn't have that implication at all unless you want it to, really. In which case it's you that's engaging in vicious hyperbole.

Especially since most people in 1932 Germany didn't know or care what exactly Hitler thought of the Jews until it was too late. (Even though he'd spelled it all out in print back in 1925, odd as it sounds.) They knew he was an Antisemite, of course, but then verbally aggressive, resultless Antisemitism was an accepted staple of the German Right for decades by then, and was shared by the DNVP.
It's certainly very very clear from voting results that rich ultraconservative Jews (and Jewry in Germany was, by and large and despite the numerous excemptions, ridiculously middle-to-upper-middle-class by then. And Jewry by the Nazis' definition, ie including the descendants of the fairly numerous 19th century converts, even more so - that set consisted basically entirely of posh twits) voted mostly for centrist parties rather than their class' Weimar-standard mouthfoaming extremists. By '33 the DDP was basically a Jewish Party.
And of course most German Jews were not actually murdered in the Holocaust at all (though lots and lots were). They had time enough to emigrate. Unlike the Polish etc Jews.

The statement is impossible to prove, unmeaningful, and it is indeed a bad idea to take posting advice from Snowstalker. But the infraction points and the fake outrage here are more than a little ridiculous. Unless we start infracting every reduction at Hitlerum. (And these things are fun to do precisely because they shock mostly the clueless. The types who think what happened was inevitable once Hitler came to power and would have been apparent to Hitler's voters.)

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2012, 05:44:34 pm »
Ignore

That is, unfortunately, standard moderation policy. When I called Snowstalker a racist, I had to show Inks the proof that Snowstalker was indeed a racist to get the points removed.

You made a personal attack against another poster, so yes, the burden of proof was on you.  It'd be kinda dumb if I just went around saying, "Napoleon is a racist" without any proof and was able to get away with it.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2012, 01:33:34 am »
Ignore

I apologize for bumping this topic, but from what I gather that many people on this forum(many a lot more moderate than me, opebo, tweed and the like) consider the GOP ticket to be what many people thought my comparison implied, and this   moderator action is simply a repression of free speech. As the great jmfcst would say " a spade is a spade".
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 01:36:02 am by Senator Seatown »Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout