Doesn't Paul Ryan remind you of... Joe Biden?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:53:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Doesn't Paul Ryan remind you of... Joe Biden?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Doesn't Paul Ryan remind you of... Joe Biden?  (Read 1483 times)
retromike22
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 11, 2012, 10:03:28 PM »

In the news today, after they mentioned that Romney picked Ryan, they delved into his biography and how it shaped him. And it reminded me a lot of Joe Biden.

Irish-Catholic, experienced tragedy early in life, joined Congress at an early age, quickly became knowledgeable in their relative field, and with a desire to gain publicity for further career advancement.
GLPman
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 10:12:34 PM »

In the news today, after they mentioned that Romney picked Ryan, they delved into his biography and how it shaped him. And it reminded me a lot of Joe Biden.

Irish-Catholic, experienced tragedy early in life, joined Congress at an early age, quickly became knowledgeable in their relative field, and with a desire to gain publicity for further career advancement.

This describes any politician.

Broadly, like you touched on, the two men are similar. The biggest similarity they have is the tragedy in early life. Congress' revolving door allows many young politicians to stay in the game for a while, and most politicians who have experience on their side on the Hill are knowledgeable in their relative field. But, once we examine the two men in more detail, it's evident that they are quite different.

I'll admit that I'm looking forward more to the Ryan-Biden debate than the Obama-Romney debates, though.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 10:34:19 PM »

I'm looking forward to that debate too. I want to see Biden give Ryan a noogie.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 11:03:22 PM »

I've seen him compared to JFK more than Biden. Younger Catholic rising star with a young family entering the White House (Well sorta). He still had tragedy, his brother dying.
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 11:08:51 PM »

I've seen him compared to JFK more than Biden. Younger Catholic rising star with a young family entering the White House (Well sorta). He still had tragedy, his brother dying.

The person who made that comparison should have their tongue and hands removed so they don't ever speak or write such nonsense again.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 11:11:52 PM »

Wouldn't Ryan need to be a secret adulterer too?
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 11:16:48 PM »

On that count, I wouldn't be surprised. This guy is so thoroughly unvetted, he's going to make Palin's private life look like Mitt Romney's.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 11:32:27 PM »

On that count, I wouldn't be surprised. This guy is so thoroughly unvetted, he's going to make Palin's private life look like Mitt Romney's.

Wow, that reeks of wishful thinking on your part. I wouldn't be surprised if he was as clean and boring in his private life as Romney is.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 11:37:04 PM »

Well they're both Catholics elected at an early age to Congress, but so were the Kennedys.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 11:56:49 PM »

Not at all. You can tell Biden knows how to party. Ryan not so much.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 11:57:52 PM »

...Biden doesn't drink alcohol.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 12:00:05 AM »

Doesn't mean he doesn't know how to have a good time. Paul, on the other hand, appears to be perpetually in pain.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2012, 12:03:43 AM »

Doesn't mean he doesn't know how to have a good time. Paul, on the other hand, appears to be perpetually in pain.

Fair enough. Generally when people say party, they mean drinking, or at least in my experience.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2012, 12:10:26 AM »

He's somewhat like a younger Biden (Biden '88?), but Obama picked Biden for two reasons:

1. He appeals to blue-collar voters, especially in Pennsylvania; this probably helped Obama a bit in the Midwest. Ryan, though also a Midwestern guy, probably doesn't have the same appeal; unlike your cool uncle Biden, Ryan is...a nerd (not necessarily a bad thing, mind you).

2. Biden was meant to counteract Obama's inexperience due to being a long-time Senator with foreign policy experience (remember, the 2008 election was about Iraq at first). Ryan has no foreign policy record, but despite his age, can help Romney govern (again, not in a way that I'd like a president to govern, but...), and has knowledge on economic matters.

The best comparisons to each, in my opinion, are Lyndon Johnson for Biden (meant to shore up an area the candidate was weak with--white Southerners and blue-collar Midwesterners, respectively), and Jack Kemp for Ryan (congressman who is effectively the intellectual leader of the party).
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2012, 02:01:16 AM »

Ryan hasn't run for statewide office before, but he's been in the national spotlight for years. His name recognition among the public is low, but the political press know who he is. Also, I'm confident that the Romney campaign has thoroughly investigated his personal life; this pick doesn't compare to the panicked and unplanned manner in which McCain chose Palin.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2012, 12:53:35 PM »

Fair enough. Generally when people say party, they mean drinking, or at least in my experience.

You need better experience.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2012, 01:00:34 PM »

Doesn't Biden not drink because he's a recovering alcoholic, or am I making that up?  I recall hearing that in the 2008 campaign.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2012, 01:09:20 PM »

No, just no.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2012, 01:20:18 PM »

Doesn't Biden not drink because he's a recovering alcoholic, or am I making that up?  I recall hearing that in the 2008 campaign.

Not sure about him personally, but I know his family has a history of alcohol abuse, so that might be it.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2012, 03:26:59 PM »

Some people can't drink alcohol -- diabetics, people with gout...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies