Local view: Structural racism in America (Duluth News Tribune)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:15:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Local view: Structural racism in America (Duluth News Tribune)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Local view: Structural racism in America (Duluth News Tribune)  (Read 571 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 12, 2012, 12:08:33 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

more: http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/239583/group/Opinion/

Thoughts?
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 12:30:56 AM »

How is the bold section even close to uniquely American?
Jacobtm

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 01:49:24 AM »
« Edited: August 12, 2012, 01:51:59 AM by Jacobtm »

It isn't, but that's no reason to act dismissive of the problem of institutional racism.

It's weird to me how people want to pretend race doesn't exist. It's simply untrue, ask an anthropologist. There are thousands of genetically identifiable races, far more than just the few that are popularly recognized.

The fact that there are different races is no basis for racism, discrimination, hate, or anything like that.

I understand that some people who want to see racism go away think it's easiest to say that "race" doesn't exist and therefore we're all the same, but that's a blatant lie, and arguments built on lies don't hold.

Racism is, in a way, hard-wired into people. We're tribal by nature, and tribes survived best by looking out for "us" and being wary of "them". But we are supposedly civilized people, and should be able to treat "them" no differently than we do "us".

To face up to the reality that we all are different, and then treat your fellow man as a brother shouldn't be too much to ask.

Isn't there something about that in Christian creed anyway?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 07:28:16 AM »

It's weird to me how people want to pretend race doesn't exist.

That would be because it doesn't.

wtfwtfwtf
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 08:20:11 AM »
« Edited: August 12, 2012, 01:13:42 PM by Iatrogenesis »

It isn't, but that's no reason to act dismissive of the problem of institutional racism.

It's weird to me how people want to pretend race doesn't exist. It's simply untrue, ask an anthropologist. There are thousands of genetically identifiable races, far more than just the few that are popularly recognized.

The fact that there are different races is no basis for racism, discrimination, hate, or anything like that.

I understand that some people who want to see racism go away think it's easiest to say that "race" doesn't exist and therefore we're all the same, but that's a blatant lie, and arguments built on lies don't hold.

Racism is, in a way, hard-wired into people. We're tribal by nature, and tribes survived best by looking out for "us" and being wary of "them". But we are supposedly civilized people, and should be able to treat "them" no differently than we do "us".

To face up to the reality that we all are different, and then treat your fellow man as a brother shouldn't be too much to ask.

That's complete nonsense - in fact the non-existence of race is one of the major bedrocks of modern anthropology. There is 'genetic ancestry' but that shouldn't be confused with 'race'.
Rhodie
Rookie
South Africa

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 09:41:45 AM »

I find the tone of the latter part of the article slightly sinister. What do these aggressive policies actually involve?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 06:28:47 PM »

That's complete nonsense - in fact the non-existence of race is one of the major bedrocks of modern anthropology. There is 'genetic ancestry' but that shouldn't be confused with 'race'.

This is another one of those rare issues that Gully, Al, and I are in complete agreement on.  I mean, the fact that "race" is a modern idea doesn't mean that you can't have racism, just like the fact that "airplanes" are a modern idea doesn't mean you can't be afraid of planes; it just means that, in the Western world, we happen to define in-groups and out-groups using the word and concept "race" rather than (or "in addition to") any of the many other ways we could slice and dice humans.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 11:14:38 PM »

You can't "depersonalize" it, because we think and acts as persons, not as structures.  This project aims to remove all agency and responsibility from individuals, and treats them as passive members of racial groups. Institutional structure can impact relations between people of different races, but you can't solve racism by that way alone.

Criticizing "white privilege" is a threat to ego and identity in itself.  It's a horrible term that you can expect to end dialogue for the vast majority of white people. Instead of focusing on the deprivations against blacks caused by injustice, it focuses it's ire on the (often imagined) success of white people. Yes, tell those impoverished Appalachians, or the boy being bullied for not being macho, or the man in a psych ward, just how unfair it is that they received privileges based on their race.
bigbadgerjohnny
Rookie
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 03:09:23 AM »

The wages of whiteness is death!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies