Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 06:51:11 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  International Elections (Moderator: PASOK Leader Hashemite)
| | |-+  Venezuelan Presidential Election 2012
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print
Author Topic: Venezuelan Presidential Election 2012  (Read 6956 times)
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: October 07, 2012, 09:41:08 pm »
Ignore

54-44 to be precise. Damn. Better luck next time.

There will be no next time for some 20 years I'm afraid.

I'm not a fan of the man, but if he was going to do away with the democratic process (or turn it into a complete sham) then he'd have done so years ago. So you lost an election. Happens. No need to be so melodramatic.

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
ℒief
Lief
YaBB God
Dominica

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 07, 2012, 09:42:28 pm »
Ignore

Wonderful news!

Paleobrazilian
Brazil

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 07, 2012, 09:44:12 pm »
Ignore

I'm not a fan of the man, but if he was going to do away with the democratic process (or turn it into a complete sham) then he'd have done so years ago. So you lost an election. Happens. No need to be so melodramatic.

His recent human rights record shows he is moving away from acceptable standards. He's just denounced the American Convention on Human Rights and can reform the Constitution as much as he want. 
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 07, 2012, 09:46:48 pm »
Ignore

In my head, never really expected Chavez to lose, the advantages of incumbency are just too strong. Thought the margin would be a bit smaller though. On the bright side the opposition has a president-in-waiting.

7.35, 3.65

« Les plus nobles principes du monde ne valent que par l’action.  » - Charles de Gaulle

Is it excessive to hold a politician's feet to the fire for giving his base the run around at every turn?
oakvale
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 07, 2012, 09:47:15 pm »
Ignore

Smiley

Do not touch the bat or open the door. If there are any openings to the room containing the animal, seal them. Bats can collapse their skeletons to slip through a hole as small as the head of a pencil.
Velasco
andi
YaBB God
Western Sahara

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: October 07, 2012, 09:48:45 pm »
Ignore

Tibisay Lucena, the President of the Nat. Electoral Council says that Chávez got 54.4% of the vote and Capriles 44%. 90% counted. Turnout 81%.

Chávez won't last 20 years and he has not a sucessor. Capriles would be perfectly the next president.

Robb the Survivor
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2012, 09:49:08 pm »
Ignore

Smiley

You're a Chavez supporter, Oakvale ? Didn't expect that.

Robb of the House Stark, First of his Name, Lord of Winterfell and King in the North

Quote from: IRC
22:15   ComradeSibboleth   this is all extremely terrible and in all respects absolutely fycking dire.

"A reformist is someone who realizes that, when you bang your head on a wall, it's the head that breaks rather than the wall."

Peppino, from the movie Baaria
oakvale
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 07, 2012, 09:50:09 pm »
Ignore

Smiley

Oh, no, not really, I'm being somewhat facetious - I just think some people are overreacting. Chavez is more Mayor Daley than Joseph Stalin.

Do not touch the bat or open the door. If there are any openings to the room containing the animal, seal them. Bats can collapse their skeletons to slip through a hole as small as the head of a pencil.
ℒief
Lief
YaBB God
Dominica

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 07, 2012, 09:59:16 pm »
Ignore

"Gracias Dios mío! Gracias a todos y a todas!!" Chavez tweets.

RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 07, 2012, 10:03:35 pm »
Ignore

I hope the opposition is heartened by the gains instead of getting demoralized and throwing in the towel.

7.35, 3.65

« Les plus nobles principes du monde ne valent que par l’action.  » - Charles de Gaulle

Is it excessive to hold a politician's feet to the fire for giving his base the run around at every turn?
後援会
koenkai
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 07, 2012, 10:05:42 pm »
Ignore

Smiley

Oh, no, not really, I'm being somewhat facetious - I just think some people are overreacting. Chavez is more Mayor Daley than Joseph Stalin.

That's really an unjustified insult to Mayor Daley. As much we joke about dead people votes, Daley and Chavez are incomparable.

Unless you're saying that Chavez is a 45 on the Daley to Stalin scale. Which I could buy, but being in the mid 40's on an Anyone to Stalin scale is a bad thing.

The opinions and views expressed above are mine alone and do not represent the opinions or views of any other individual, organization, or government.
Robb the Survivor
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 07, 2012, 10:06:25 pm »
Ignore

Smiley

Yeah, I agree that some people like to portray him as some kind of totalitarian monster, which, as this election proves, he clearly isn't. The sad things is that these people are also likely to support real dictators as long as they abide to their neoliberal dogma.

Robb of the House Stark, First of his Name, Lord of Winterfell and King in the North

22:15   ComradeSibboleth   this is all extremely terrible and in all respects absolutely fycking dire.

"A reformist is someone who realizes that, when you bang your head on a wall, it's the head that breaks rather than the wall."

MaxQue
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 07, 2012, 10:24:55 pm »
Ignore

His recent human rights record shows he is moving away from acceptable standards. He's just denounced the American Convention on Human Rights and can reform the Constitution as much as he want. 

So? Canada and United States never ratified that Convention. (Canada over abortion issues, United States over death penalty)
Vote UKIP!
MasterSanders
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 07, 2012, 10:31:03 pm »
Ignore

Smiley

Yeah, I agree that some people like to portray him as some kind of totalitarian monster, which, as this election proves, he clearly isn't. The sad things is that these people are also likely to support real dictators as long as they abide to their neoliberal dogma.

I agree. Totalitarian dictators usually don't win by 10 points.

They tend to win by 20 point margins.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 10:33:09 pm by MasterSanders »Logged

Robb the Survivor
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 07, 2012, 10:53:33 pm »
Ignore

Smiley

I agree. Totalitarian dictators usually don't win by 10 points.

They tend to win by 20 point margins.

More like 80-90 point margins, actually. For those who even bother holding elections.

oakvale
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 07, 2012, 11:06:15 pm »
Ignore

Smiley

That's really an unjustified insult to Mayor Daley. As much we joke about dead people votes, Daley and Chavez are incomparable.

Unless you're saying that Chavez is a 45 on the Daley to Stalin scale. Which I could buy, but being in the mid 40's on an Anyone to Stalin scale is a bad thing.

Um, I'll freely and gladly take this back if I'm mistaken, but aren't you a Pinochet fan?

I'm not saying that particular bit of whataboutery excuses Chavez's human rights violations, mind - I thought it was self-evident that my post was somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

A-Bob
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 1.13

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 07, 2012, 11:14:01 pm »
Ignore

Sad

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Moderators
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -6.09

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 07, 2012, 11:36:56 pm »
Ignore

Prediction:

54% Chavez
44% Capriles
  2% Others

Should have sticked with this ... Tongue
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Moderators
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 08, 2012, 12:48:22 am »
Ignore

Map:

Miranda and Lara are pretty close.
Meeker
meekermariner
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -2.61

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 08, 2012, 01:49:54 am »
Ignore

What a surprise!
Acting like I'm Morrissey w/o the wit
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 08, 2012, 02:23:32 am »
Ignore

Good news. Smiley

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Moderators
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 08, 2012, 03:39:29 am »
Ignore

Chavez has now taken a 700-vote lead in Miranda and increased his lead in Lara to about 1%.

That leaves Tachira and Merida as the only Capriles-states.

Interesting that Zulia is not backing Capriles.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 08, 2012, 04:28:16 am »
Ignore

I'm thinking Freedom House's 5 score for political right's is too harsh in light of there being a 54-44 election.
London Man
Silent Hunter
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: October 08, 2012, 04:30:49 am »
Ignore

Agree. He's not a dictator, just a dodgy 'democrat'.

Shilly
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -4.00

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 08, 2012, 05:57:49 am »
Ignore

Maps!

Right click for full size.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print 
« previous next »