2000: Election Royale
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:50:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2000: Election Royale
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2000: Election Royale  (Read 2734 times)
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 13, 2012, 10:20:34 PM »
« edited: January 25, 2015, 07:19:34 PM by Nagas »

Author’s Note: This is a timeline that I have been fleshing out for quite some time. I wanted to do a 2000 timeline, but I stopped liking my first timeline and I didn’t like how I started it out. I will return to it in time, probably rehashing it, but this one I really like. I’ll still work on my timeline “American Gold,” but I wanted to do a more modern timeline simultaneously. This will follow the format of bawlexus’s and HagridtheGreat’s timelines, with most posts essentially following a newspaper story.

The title is still in progress.

And there will be maps. Lots of maps. Smiley

Thursday June 10, 1999 – NATO Bombing Campaign Ends in Kosovo

Kosovo Nationals Welcoming the UN Resolution

This morning, it was announced that the bombing of bombing campaign against  Serbian forces to protect the province of Kosovo will be halted. Under UN Security Council Resolution 1244, an international peacekeeping force will be established with the goal of rebuilding the province. Over 50,000 troops will be committed, with 7,000 Americans committed.

Senator John McCain (R-AZ), who launched his campaign last month, lauded the resolution and was an ardent supporter of the bombing campaign. He called the NATO campaign “the roadmap for the future of the American forces. Not as a force for making war, but a force for making peace.” It is expected that the success of the campaign will give McCain a boost in the polls for the Republican nomination, where he currently finds himself in competition with former Governor of South Carolina Carrol Campbell, and former Secretary of Labor Elizabeth Dole.

Later, on CNN’s Capital Gang: “Today was definitely a good day for both Senator McCain and President Clinton, which begs the question: will the President run for reelection?  He has been notoriously tightlipped about his electoral intentions. “ remarked panelist Al Hunt.  

Panelist Robert Novak replied: “Of course, this reminds us all of the proposed two-term limit amendment that was floated around fifty years ago, but it ultimately came short of ¾ ratification. While some Presidents, like Truman and Reagan floated the possibility of running for a third term around, they both ultimately decided to follow the tradition of sticking to a maximum two terms. If Clinton decided to run, he’d be the first since Franklin Delano Roosevelt to seek a third term.”

Panelist Pat Buchanan chimed in: “Look Rob, I’m appalled by the feet dragging over the issue, from both parties.  If President Clinton wants to seek another term, by all means he should, but the longer he waits, more candidates will join the fray. Jesse Jackson Jr has launched a quixotic bid, and Senator Wellstone is forming an exploratory committee. And the Republicans: Governor George W. Bush still won’t give us a solid answer either, and there’s even rumors of General Colin Powell mulling a run. They might as well announce and get the ball rolling.  Both of them would be formidable foes to President Clinton: Bush would be able to run as a social values candidate a lot better than Campbell can, and Powell would nullify Clinton’s foreign policy strengths a lot more effectively than McCain can.”

Mark Shields disagreed: “Look Pat, I’m an antsy as you to see more candidates enter the fray and for Clinton to come to a decision, but we have to be patient.  Clinton can take as much time as he wants; he won’t be hindered by entering late. His credentials are solid: unemployment currently sits at 4.5%, an almost 30 year low! That’s an economic record that would make Reagan jealous! The filing deadlines for the primaries aren’t even due until December. I say we let him take his time. He’ll easily breeze to victory in the primaries against any challengers that come up. Al, what do you think?”

Al Hunt: “I don’t think Clinton will break tradition. I expect him to announce he won’t run and hand the baton off to Gore. What do you think Bob?”

Bob Novak: “I think he might be the one to break tradition this year Al. However, I think Bush could give him a run for his money. Americans want an honest man in the White House and they’ll get their robust economy with either party.  Mona?

Mona Charen: “Call me crazy, but I think Powell will make his political debut. It’s a new millennium and he would symbolize that transition quite well.”

Rev Jesse Jackson Jr.(D-IL) and Governor Carrol Campbell (R-SC)

Monday, June 14, 1999 - Wellstone Announces Run for President

Earlier this morning, in St. Paul, Minnesota

"Over the past 8 years, the Democratic Party has brought this nation great prosperity and the largest expansion of the economy during peacetime. In the next millennium, we will continue that trend! We will use our budget surplus to bring affordable and universal healthcare to all Americans. We will use it to expand education, so that all Americans, from the poorest to the richest will have the opportunity."

On the steps of the Minnesota State House, Senator Paul Wellstone of Minnesota announced his bid for the Presidency. The excerpt above seems to set the tone for his campaign: he will be running to the left of either Clinton or Gore, should either of them decide to seek the presidency. Liberal members of the party have welcomed his entry. Governor Howard Dean (D-VT) called him "a supporter of the Democratic wing of the Democratic Party," and subsequently endorsed him. He has announced a fundraiser for Dean in Montpellier.

Wednesday, June 16, 1999

Gallup Polling (+/- 4.1% MoE. 802 Adults)

Do you approve of the job Bill Clinton is doing as President?

Approve - 58%
Disapprove -37%
No Opinion/Unsure - 5%

Do you want Bill Clinton to run for a third term as President?

Yes - 39%
No - 46%
Unsure/No Opinion - 15%
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 10:55:45 PM »

I love the idea! This is going to be awesome. Any chance that Perot would give it a third try?
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 12:40:45 AM »
« Edited: January 26, 2015, 09:17:37 PM by Nagas »

Tuesday, June 29, 1999 - Bush is in! Popular Texan Governor Shakes Field!

Governor Bush in Houston, Texas

George W Bush, Republican governor of Texas and son of former President George H W Bush has announced his run for the oval office, with a little over 16 months until election day.

"I’m running because our country must be prosperous. But prosperity must have a purpose. The purpose of prosperity is to make sure the American dream touches every willing heart. The purpose of prosperity is to leave no one out… to leave no one behind. I’m running because my party must match a conservative mind with a compassionate heart. And I’m running to win.
Prosperity is not a given. Some in this administration think they invented it. But they did not invent prosperity, any more than they invented the Internet. Governments don’t create wealth. Wealth is created by Americans -- by creativity and enterprise and risk-taking. But government can create an environment where businesses and entrepreneurs and families can dream and flourish.

We’ll be prosperous if we reduce taxes. I’ll have a plan that reduces marginal rates to create jobs, but a plan that also helps struggling families on the outskirts of poverty. I believe that after we meet priorities, all that remains must be passed back to Americans, so it will not bespent by Washington.

It is conservative to cut taxes. It is compassionate to help people save and give and build. It is conservative to reform welfare by insisting on work. It is compassionate to take the side of charities and churches that confront the suffering which remains. It is conservative to confront illegitimacy. It is compassionate to offer practical help to women and children in crisis. It is conservative to insist on education standards, basics and local control. It is compassionate to make sure that not one single child gets left behind. The calling of a nation where the strong are just and the weak are valued. I am proud to be a compassionate conservative. I welcome the label. And on this ground I’ll take my stand."

While loyal and beloved by the Republican base, Governor Bush has shown pragmatism and willingness to break with the party-line as governor. He has pushed for renewable energy programs, raised the salaries of teachers, and worked to raise standardized testing scores. As governor, he pushed forward the largest tax cut in the state's history by utilizing a $2 billion surplus. Bush will prove to be formidable in the primaries: he won reelection with a staggering 69% of the vote over his Democratic opponent.

Wednesday, June 30 - 1999

Gallup Polling

Should George W Bush run for President in 2000? (Texans only. 540 Adults. +/- 5.4%)
Yes, run: 51%
No, don't run: 37%
Undecided/no opinion: 12%

Who do you support for the Republican primary for President in 2000? (Republicans only. 700 LV, +/- 4.4%)
Elizabeth Dole: 16%
George W. Bush: 37%
John McCain: 19%
Carrol Cambell: 12%
Other/Undecided: 16%

Author's Note: I rehashed parts of W's original announcement speech for the TL.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 12:53:15 AM »

Do you think Tommy Thompson, Frank Keating, Gary Johnson, or Christine Todd Whitman would run in this scenario? They all did come close to launching campaigns, IIRC.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 12:55:27 AM »

Do you think Tommy Thompson, Frank Keating, Gary Johnson, or Christine Todd Whitman would run in this scenario? They all did come close to launching campaigns, IIRC.

Maybe. I've outlined the bulk of the timeline out and there is still room to add another. The Republican field is not yet complete though. Wink
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 02:03:03 PM »

Very interesting!  Keep it up!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 02:12:46 PM »

So... the Greater German Reich. Why do I have the feeling this is not going to end well?
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 02:15:02 PM »

Is somebody trying to hijack my TL? Roll Eyes

By the way, this TL will return in ~late December. Primaries should be rolling by mid-January.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 09:22:56 PM »

Yes - 39%
No - 46%
Unsure/No Opinion - 15%[/center]
Is this assuming that there was no 22nd Amendment?
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 09:27:20 PM »

Yes - 39%
No - 46%
Unsure/No Opinion - 15%[/center]
Is this assuming that there was no 22nd Amendment?

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 11:52:54 PM »
« Edited: January 27, 2015, 11:17:12 PM by Nagas »

Saturday July 4, 1999 - Lieberman and Forbes Enter Race!

Mr. Forbes (R-NY) and Senator Lieberman (D-CT)

Businessman Steve Forbes (R-NY) and Senator Joseph Lieberman (D-CT) both entered the presidential race today. Mr. Forbes, a publishing executive, ran in 1996 and won two primaries (Arizona, Delaware), before dropping out and endorsing eventual nominee Bob Dole. He emphasized his business acumen in his declaration speech, and appears to be planning to center his campaign around his proposal for a flat tax.

Senator Lieberman has been an ardent critic of the Clinton Administration's 2nd term, and is widely expected to run to capitalize on democrats dissatisfied with Clinton's infidelity and perceived weakness of Clinton's foreign policy.

Excerpts from Lieberman's Announcement:
"After 8 years, it's time to restore the integrity of the White House and what it stands for. We are to hold our presidents to a higher standard, and President Clinton has not met than burden. We must teach our young children how to be responsible and upright citizens ... Let it also be known, my fellow Democrats, that we need to take a hard look at our foreign policy. Our inaction at the beginning of the decade led to a genocide, and the President dragged his heels on Kosovo until it was almost too late ... And if Clinton does not seek a third term, let it be known that Vice President Gore is no better! He has stood at the President's side the entire way...

Tuesday, July 6, 1999

Quinnipiac Polling - Democratic Primary
President Clinton
Rep. Jackson Jr.
Senator Lieberman
Senator Wellstone
Undecided
53%
2%
8%
13%
24%

Vice President Gore
Rep. Jackson Jr.
Senator Lieberman
Senator Wellstone
Undecided
41%
2%
10%
20%
27%

Friday, July 9, 1999 - Thompson Formally Announces Bid!

Governor Thompson addresses a crowd of enthusiastic supporters

Milwaukee, WI - "2000 is the year the Republicans retake the White House!" announced Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner (R-WI) as he introduced the governor, acting as a surrogate for the Thompson campaign. Tommy Thompson, 4-term governor of Wisconsin, has thrown his hat into the ring.

Thompson is a force to be reckoned with in Wisconsin politics (just recently trouncing Ed Garvery for his 4th term, 59 - 39). Enjoying enthusiastic support from Republicans and Independents, he has won all of his terms by large margins and scored many legislative victories. Never hesitating to work with the other side of the isle, Thompson recently passed BadgerCade to expand medical coverage to the citizens of Wisconsin. It is likely that if at the top of the ticket, Thompson could move Wisconsin back in the Republican column after supporting Dukakis and Clinton both times.

Present in a lower income neighborhood, a target for BadgerCade, Thompson called for "a government that works for the people. One that does not try to pass overreaching government healthcare like the Clinton administration, but one that works at the state and local level to create solutions that work! We must and we will create a smaller and more trustworthy government!"
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 12:46:01 AM »

MONDAY, JULY 12, 1999 - PEROT AGAIN? DISCUSSES POSSIBLE THIRD BID WITH LARRY KING

Anchor Larry King and Businessman Ross Perot (RF-TX)

New York, NY - Billionaire and two time Presidential candidate Ross Perot (RF-TX), made an appearance on Larry King last night, and talked about a possible Presidential Bid:

"I am looking into a possible candidacy Larry. The current parties, the Democrats, the Republicans, don't represent the full interests of grassroots America. The last six years have been marred by government shutdowns and scandal; we deserve better than that." Larry King couldn't resist the question: " For someone so interested in ending the gridlock and changing the system, don't you think it's problematic that for the second time in eight years we could have another Bush, Clinton, Perot race again?" Perot chuckled: "Look, the Reform party would be a change to the system, and you can already see the results in Minnesota. Governor Ventura and I don't always see eye to eye and have had our fair share of disagreements, but he's doing great work up there. If I don't run we have many credible candidates that can run. Regardless, we will have a mail-in primary."

If Perot does step aside, several notable individuals have expressed interest in running for the Reform Party nomination: Representative Ron Paul (R-TX), billionaire Donald Trump (I-NY), and renowned physicist John Hagelin (RF-IA). The Reform Party is entitled $12.5 million dollars in the general election due to its performance in 1996.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 10:35:14 PM »

Dang, this is a complete free-for-all.

Awesome Cheesy
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length