If you were Mitt Romney...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:54:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  If you were Mitt Romney...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If you were Mitt Romney...  (Read 833 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 14, 2012, 06:16:36 AM »

Whom would you pick as your running-mate?
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 06:20:26 AM »

John Thune. But none of us are Mitt Romney, who obviously has a personal connection with Paul Ryan that he did not feel with Thune and others. He picked a guy he is comfortable with who knows how Washington works, but does not think like much of Washington (i.e., Ryan is not always just thinking about the next election; he wants to solve problems rather than kicking the can down the road)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 07:44:44 AM »

John Thune. But none of us are Mitt Romney, who obviously has a personal connection with Paul Ryan that he did not feel with Thune and others. He picked a guy he is comfortable with who knows how Washington works, but does not think like much of Washington (i.e., Ryan is not always just thinking about the next election; he wants to solve problems rather than kicking the can down the road)
Same here.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 07:45:57 AM »

Assuming I am in Mitt Romney's place? Probably Gary Johnson or Ron Paul. Assuming I'm Mitt Romney with Mitt's beliefs and such? If I could get him to run, Jeb Bush. If not, Marco Rubio.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 07:57:08 AM »

I don't have anything in particular against Ryan, and I can see the rationale in selecting him.  If it was me, however, I'd still pick Portman.  Would make an outstanding VP, is from an electorally significant swing state, he wouldn't overshadow me, and most importantly he wouldn't increase turnout in my opponent's base in a close election.  Portman would reassure people; Ryan really excites some already on my side, but, rightly or wrongly, Ryan alarms some of the people whose votes I'm trying to win over.  Plus, to be honest, although Ryan does indeed have lots of legislative experience, I'd still be hesitant to pick someone who is my real current age to be a heartbeat away.   
technical support
thrillr1111
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 09:26:04 AM »

if i was romney i would go with paul ryan. So the american people can have a discussion about paul ryans medicare and privatize social security. oops never mind he did choose paul ryan. wtg mitt. Seniors in florida and other states rely on there medicare.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 09:41:22 AM »

Christine O'Donnell.

Then I spend the rest of the campaign talking about how essential the South is to America and how all America should aspire to be like the South.

I also don't make a campaign stop above the Mason Dixon.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 09:46:34 AM »

Rubio: totally acceptable to the right, can probably deliver Florida and, possibly, help with Latino votes nationwide.
Rhodie
Rookie
South Africa

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 09:50:45 AM »

Rubio, Martinez or Cardoval.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 09:56:18 AM »

Brian Sandoval
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 09:56:52 AM »

Marco Rubio was the obvious answer to this question.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 10:02:54 AM »

If I were Mitt Romney I would immediately drop out of this farcical presidential nonsense and go enjoy being a prince of the realm with my vast wealth and power.  Yea!
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 10:56:19 AM »

If I were Mitt Romney I would immediately drop out of this farcical presidential nonsense and go enjoy being a prince of the realm with my vast wealth and power.  Yea!

True. You have to wonder why the guy is even still doing this. I get that he'd like to have another trophy to put in his solid-gold trophy cabinet, but surely it's not worth all this constant groveling to the proles he so obviously despises.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 10:59:25 AM »

True. You have to wonder why the guy is even still doing this. I get that he'd like to have another trophy to put in his solid-gold trophy cabinet, but surely it's not worth all this constant groveling to the proles he so obviously despises.

It is beneath these rich to participate in our farcical pretense of democracy.  They would be well advised to farm it out entirely to fawning climbers like Reagan, Clinton, etc.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 11:03:28 AM »

The ends justify the means though. Once you assume power, you get to enact "pro-growth" policies like ending taxation in investment. It's not about dignity. It's about money.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 11:10:13 AM »

(i.e., Ryan is not always just thinking about the next election; he wants to solve problems rather than kicking the can down the road)

(except of course when he's blocking solutions because he's thinking about the next election)

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/13/us/politics/family-faith-and-politics-describe-life-of-paul-ryan.html?_r=1&hpw&pagewanted=all
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 11:13:39 AM »

And let's not forget Ryan's role in killing Simpson-Bowle because Grover Norquist didn't like it:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2012/08/14/ryan_killed_deficit_plan_romney_says_is_model.html
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2012, 03:30:02 PM »

Brian Sandoval, he along with Susana Martinez, Jon Huntsman, Tom Coburn, Buddy Roemer and Jeb Bush are the only Republicans I'd ever vote for.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 05:41:03 PM »

Paul Ryan.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2012, 05:47:49 PM »

Condi Rice.