MA: Common Courtesy While Driving Act (Statute)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:33:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MA: Common Courtesy While Driving Act (Statute)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: MA: Common Courtesy While Driving Act (Statute)  (Read 1801 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 15, 2012, 01:48:03 AM »
« edited: August 30, 2012, 03:45:33 PM by Assemblyman & Queen Mum Inks.LWC »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Sponsor: 20RP12
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 01:33:10 PM »

I can see both sides of this.  While I value personal responsibility, I feel that there need to be some laws regarding tjis issue.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 02:12:48 PM »

I can see both sides of this.  While I value personal responsibility, I feel that there need to be some laws regarding tjis issue.

I value personal responsibility quite a ton, but when it comes to possibly putting the life of another (or several) human being(s) in danger, there must be some laws to curtail the danger.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 02:58:03 PM »

I value personal responsibility quite a ton, but when it comes to possibly putting the life of another (or several) human being(s) in danger, there must be some laws to curtail the danger.
I agree.  That's why I support seatbelt and helmet laws.  So at this point, I will support this bill.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 03:50:50 PM »

This goes far beyond things that directly put people's lives in danger, and the fines are rather heavy considering the subjectivity that will go into enforcing this. 

Also, do anger management classes actually work?
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 04:42:32 PM »

his goes far beyond things that directly put people's lives in danger, and the fines are rather heavy considering the subjectivity that will go into enforcing this. 

I don't think a $500 fine is heavy for something like this. Everyone should feel safe when driving, which is why we have such hard crackdowns on drunk driving laws. Even if someone is sober, they can still kill someone behind the wheel of a car.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 07:46:49 PM »

his goes far beyond things that directly put people's lives in danger, and the fines are rather heavy considering the subjectivity that will go into enforcing this. 

I don't think a $500 fine is heavy for something like this. Everyone should feel safe when driving, which is why we have such hard crackdowns on drunk driving laws. Even if someone is sober, they can still kill someone behind the wheel of a car.
by honking?
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 08:00:25 PM »

It's intimidation, plus it's just rude. Shouldn't excessive honking be considered disturbing the peace?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 12:15:31 AM »

It's intimidation, plus it's just rude. Shouldn't excessive honking be considered disturbing the peace?

I just wish we wouldn't automatically jump to criminalization to deal with momentary rudeness or expressions of frustration.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 12:35:19 AM »

I have some serious problems with clause 3.

- Do anger management classes even work? What benefit is a person really going to get from one week of classes? It also needs to be more specific - how many times would they go in that week? Would they have to pay for the classes. It doesn't make much difference for me, as I think that part should be struck out completely.
- $500 is an extremely high amount. In Indiana, it's only a $25 ticket for not wearing a seatbelt. Is the goal of this bill to encourage positive driving behavior, or is it to increase regional revenue and potentially hurt families economically. Because it seems like the latter from this clause.

Other than these nitpicks, I'd be leaning towards this bill.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 02:47:05 AM »

I agree with the main thrust of this bill but as previous posters have pointed out I have doubts about the effectiveness of anger management classes and the fines seem too high to me.

My suggestions: Remove the anger management classes (or, if you really think they are necessary, reserve them for people who repeatedly violate this bill) and reduce the fine of $500 to $100 at most.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 07:42:48 AM »

I agree with the main thrust of this bill but as previous posters have pointed out I have doubts about the effectiveness of anger management classes and the fines seem too high to me.

My suggestions: Remove the anger management classes (or, if you really think they are necessary, reserve them for people who repeatedly violate this bill) and reduce the fine of $500 to $100 at most.
Agreed. I think anger management classes might be a little extreme for a few moments of acting rudely.  In fact, since it looks like somebody will amend this bill at some point, I'll just do it for them:
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 11:53:20 AM »

I'll accept ZuWo's amendment to the bill.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 12:29:25 PM »

Good.  I actually introduced it, but it was his idea.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 04:37:08 PM »

So the bill now reads:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2012, 08:44:14 PM »

Yes.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 02:30:40 PM »

Seeing no further debate, we'll bring this to a final vote.  Members will vote AYE, NAY, or ABSTAIN.  This will be a 48-hour vote.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 03:28:27 PM »

Aye
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2012, 03:24:05 PM »

For the record, I can support this since the bill was amended and improved where it was necessary. If the bill gets a majority I will sign it into law.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2012, 05:53:12 PM »

Aye
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2012, 11:33:59 AM »

AYE
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2012, 02:06:31 PM »

Nay, I think when you're regulating how what people can say that is just not allowing for freedom of speech.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2012, 11:02:10 PM »

Good intentions, but I agree with HappyWarrior. A lot of this would come down to individual police officer's discretion - what one office might deem as wrong, another might not do anything about.

Shua said it well:

I just wish we wouldn't automatically jump to criminalization to deal with momentary rudeness or expressions of frustration.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2012, 04:03:01 AM »

Nay, I think when you're regulating how what people can say that is just not allowing for freedom of speech.

When I saw this bill for the first time I was aware that the clause "... using profane language that is audible to other motorists" might be the most problematic part of the bill. However, I understand that there are big differences between the US - the home country of most Atlasians - and the part of the world I come from regarding the use and acceptance of profanity. Since profanity seems to be frowned upon in public settings in the US I came to the conclusion that this clause may be appropriate here.

I essentially agree with what citizen Tmthforu94 said about the bill a few days ago:

Other than these nitpicks, I'd be leaning towards this bill.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2012, 09:33:57 AM »

When I saw this bill for the first time I was aware that the clause "... using profane language that is audible to other motorists" might be the most problematic part of the bill. However, I understand that there are big differences between the US - the home country of most Atlasians - and the part of the world I come from regarding the use and acceptance of profanity. Since profanity seems to be frowned upon in public settings in the US I came to the conclusion that this clause may be appropriate here.
[/quote]

Yes, which is why I put it in the bill. It's not regulating speech, it's preserving a safe driving environment. Plus, if someone is unloading a string of profanity that is audible, parents may not want their children exposed to said profanity. It's more holding adults responsible for potentially dangerous actions and promoting more responsibility while driving.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies