Megadeth's Dave Mustaine: Obama "Staged" Aurora, Sikh Temple Shootings
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:17:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Megadeth's Dave Mustaine: Obama "Staged" Aurora, Sikh Temple Shootings
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Megadeth's Dave Mustaine: Obama "Staged" Aurora, Sikh Temple Shootings  (Read 4106 times)
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2012, 09:32:15 PM »

The world would be a better place if metal ceased to exist.

The world would be a better place if mindless prejudice against metal ceased to exist. There is nothing wrong with metal.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2012, 12:16:04 AM »
« Edited: August 20, 2012, 12:20:23 AM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

I'll make exceptions for what I deem to be "intelligent" metal like Baroness and Pelican but 99% of it is bad; the lyrical content especially so. Metal is like the sci-fi genre: sure, a few classics have come out of it but most of it is garbage tailored to nerdy virgins who've developed no taste.

It doesn't help that the metal subculture happens to be very homophobic/misogynistic regardless of its political bent and that its aesthetic is centered around anger, hatred and sadism. It blows.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2012, 12:45:36 AM »

It doesn't help that the metal subculture happens to be very homophobic/misogynistic regardless of its political bent and that its aesthetic is centered around anger, hatred and sadism. It blows.

Hear hear!
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2012, 12:54:17 AM »
« Edited: August 20, 2012, 12:55:52 AM by James Badass Monroe »

Remember what I said about metal being a right wing musical genre?

Yes, and it proves how much I overestimated your IQ.

"Oh hohohoh!  A few metal guys are right wingers!  Therefore they all are!"
Kind of like
"Oh hohohoho!  A number of Irish Americans I've met are Catholic supremacists with socially restrictive views!  Therefore they all are!"

Thank you BRTD for helping me understand how black people feel when they hear some idiot racist rant about how they are stupid criminals.  Other than that, you still continue to fail to appeal to my logical senses.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2012, 12:55:53 AM »
« Edited: August 20, 2012, 12:58:55 AM by They Move on Tracks of Never-Ending Light »

Mecha, my views on metal music pre-date my politics even. In fact opposing metal culture is a big influence in what my political and religious views grew out of.

Actually in hindsight, maybe I should thank those metalheads I met in high school who were gigantic assholes. If it wasn't for them, I might never have come to know Jesus Christ, so they did me a lot of good!
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2012, 08:24:17 AM »

Remember what I said about metal being a right wing musical genre?

Please don't include Dave Mustaine in any classification.  He's a unique doucebag living in his own world.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2012, 08:42:33 AM »

I'll make exceptions for what I deem to be "intelligent" metal like Baroness and Pelican but 99% of it is bad; the lyrical content especially so. Metal is like the sci-fi genre: sure, a few classics have come out of it but most of it is garbage tailored to nerdy virgins who've developed no taste.

You have no idea of what you're talking about. You don't even know anything about the various subgenres of metal, which usually are less angry and more thoughtful, and commonly more intellectual. Heck, many metal bands have multiple anti-fanaticism, anti-militarism songs.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2012, 09:19:23 AM »

1. Sturgeon's Law
2. I'm guessing you are not too familiar with SF?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2012, 09:26:24 AM »

I'd be very willing to expose TheDeadFlagBlues to good SF if he'd be up for it.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2012, 12:59:30 PM »

Metal is like the sci-fi genre: sure, a few classics have come out of it but most of it is garbage tailored to nerdy virgins who've developed no taste.
Yes. This is an apt comparison. Of course heavily genrefied music, writing etc pp is always in danger of that.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2012, 02:11:24 PM »

As would I, but good metal instead of good SF (heck, some metal albums are SF).
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2012, 02:13:12 PM »

I find metal unlistenable because it has no breakdowns or catchiness. The vileness of metal culture just ads to the hate. Like metal is so boring live. Imagine symphonic black metal live for instance. How can you mosh or dance? It's dull.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2012, 03:16:51 PM »

I like how BRTD only comes to this thread after his "points" have already been refuted. Maybe he'll also say that Nietzsche is a fascist.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2012, 04:06:38 PM »

I find metal unlistenable because it has no breakdowns or catchiness. The vileness of metal culture just ads to the hate. Like metal is so boring live. Imagine symphonic black metal live for instance. How can you mosh or dance? It's dull.

Agreed on black/death metal (I can't stand the growling and screaming), but seriously, calling metal culture "vile"? Have you ever listened to any say, power metal? It's all about being heroic and good and punching a dragon in the face and all that. Or symphonic metal, a lot of it deals with calling out vile people on their crimes like the band Within Temptation having a music video where they defeat a rapist. Power, symphonic and other metal genres have very little to do with the skeevy bits of death metal culture.

And no "catchiness"? You must not have listened to Alestorm, then? They're as catchy as can be for metal.

Heck, there's even Christian Metal bands like HB (literally short for Holy Bible), who sing about how great God and Jesus are, and how they should have the glory. They have a totally different culture from not only the aforementioned death metal skeeviness, but also from the other kinds of metal.

Finally, metal can be intellectual; there's at least 5 bands that cover a variety of sci-fi and fantasy concepts, and openly muse about the future of humanity. Plus, metal is known for crafting a story within an album; very few other genres of music can do that.

If you're going to criticize metal, maybe you should find out a lot more about it first.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2012, 04:26:36 PM »

I used to be a very big fan of sci-fi novels and still love the Foundation series, Ursula Le Guin's books, Planet of the Apes, the Mars triology etc. It's hard to deny that most Sci-fi novels are designed to appeal to a certain niche of people and has stilted dialogue, uses stock characters for every role, has predictable plot lines etc.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2012, 04:32:47 PM »

BRTD, metal is not inherently right-wing. Let's take Rammstein, which isn't black metal or death metal. They have songs criticizing American imperialism:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yydlX7c8HbY

capitalism:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6ZZaHhs7ic

and explicitly stating that "my heart beats left":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC9pAker_PM&feature=related

On another note, I find it hilarious that he said this in Singapore, which is quite literally a fascist state.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2012, 09:33:49 PM »

I used to be a very big fan of sci-fi novels and still love the Foundation series, Ursula Le Guin's books, Planet of the Apes, the Mars triology etc. It's hard to deny that most Sci-fi novels are designed to appeal to a certain niche of people and has stilted dialogue, uses stock characters for every role, has predictable plot lines etc.

It's hard to deny that that's true of every kind of fiction.

As long as you like Le Guin we're more or less good here.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2012, 12:57:22 AM »
« Edited: August 21, 2012, 12:59:26 AM by They Move on Tracks of Never-Ending Light »

Agreed on black/death metal (I can't stand the growling and screaming), but seriously, calling metal culture "vile"? Have you ever listened to any say, power metal? It's all about being heroic and good and punching a dragon in the face and all that. Or symphonic metal, a lot of it deals with calling out vile people on their crimes like the band Within Temptation having a music video where they defeat a rapist. Power, symphonic and other metal genres have very little to do with the skeevy bits of death metal culture.

And no "catchiness"? You must not have listened to Alestorm, then? They're as catchy as can be for metal.

Ha man even if I liked the music I'd probably be too embarrassed to listen to that with the sheer uber-nerdiness. Also the vocals are just grating.

Now this is fun music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIBFMUkwoJY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyMJSWMshgY

Heck, there's even Christian Metal bands like HB (literally short for Holy Bible), who sing about how great God and Jesus are, and how they should have the glory. They have a totally different culture from not only the aforementioned death metal skeeviness, but also from the other kinds of metal.

Wow, that girl is hot! The music is so annoying though.

This is what I like for Christian music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJYGpzYNJiA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTgAzRovhWk

Finally, metal can be intellectual; there's at least 5 bands that cover a variety of sci-fi and fantasy concepts, and openly muse about the future of humanity. Plus, metal is known for crafting a story within an album; very few other genres of music can do that.

If you're going to criticize metal, maybe you should find out a lot more about it first.

When I'm thinking of "intellectual" I'm thinking of bands like Ampere and Orchid and in that vein that just namedrop lots of philosophers and philosophical premises and concepts and make it quite obvious that they are in/went to grad school yet still play music that ends up as an excuse to get drunk and jump into each other.

And I'm quite familiar with metal. I used to troll a metal board in high school, so I picked up a lot of it.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2012, 12:59:16 AM »

When I'm thinking of "intellectual" I'm thinking of bands like Ampere and Orchid and in that vein that just namedrop lots of philosophers and philosophical premises and concepts and make it quite obvious that they are in/went to grad school.

That doesn't make that obvious, and if they did go to grad school they should aspire to more than namedropping.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2012, 01:10:19 AM »
« Edited: August 21, 2012, 01:13:09 AM by They Move on Tracks of Never-Ending Light »

When I'm thinking of "intellectual" I'm thinking of bands like Ampere and Orchid and in that vein that just namedrop lots of philosophers and philosophical premises and concepts and make it quite obvious that they are in/went to grad school.

That doesn't make that obvious, and if they did go to grad school they should aspire to more than namedropping.

Sometimes they'd write these really long essays that would get published in the liner notes or in various zines. Like The Assistant, that band was known for all their sociopolitical issues that they talked about in their lyrics and all that, but the "thing" was that this was unintelligible unless you actually read their lyrics/liner notes because it was unintelligible screaming in the actual music. For example note this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOQT_StNsCw

The lyrics are printed below.

Another "thing" was to have the lyrics be very personal but "wussy" yet have the music basically being the same, basically the ultimate in Lyrical Dissonance. For example listen to this and then consider these are the actual lyrics:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2012, 02:10:46 AM »

And I'm quite familiar with metal. I used to troll a metal board in high school, so I picked up a lot of it.

I should know better by now, but I couldn't resist with this line. If you are so familiar with metal, then you must know that certain metal bands frequently use breakdowns (contrary to what you said earlier, but I'll let that statement fall on its own). In that case, you must be able to name such a band. Care to try?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2012, 02:19:16 AM »

If you read a lot of reviews of a band like The Black Dahlia Murder, you'll see it's noted that they DON'T use a lot of breakdowns, which was found pretty odd by a lot of reviewers who came from the hardcore scene like they did, even though they were straight up death metal and not even deathcore. But anyway I know that Pantera has breakdowns. Still can't stand them.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2012, 02:41:07 AM »

If you read a lot of reviews of a band like The Black Dahlia Murder, you'll see it's noted that they DON'T use a lot of breakdowns, which was found pretty odd by a lot of reviewers who came from the hardcore scene like they did, even though they were straight up death metal and not even deathcore. But anyway I know that Pantera has breakdowns. Still can't stand them.

I'm sure that bands that headbangers consider to use lots of breakdowns use significantly fewer than a typical hardcore band, and in a significantly different fashion. Pantera, though, could call their entire catalog a breakdown and I wouldn't doubt it. They might well be my least favorite metal band of all time.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2012, 05:16:31 AM »

Dave Mustaine can say anything he wants, it's still going to fall in the "sh.it nobody cares about" category.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2012, 08:52:43 AM »

Should someone give us a link to the Dead Kennedys song "Nazi Punk Fuck off".
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies