SENATE BILL: National University and General Education Reform bill (Law'd) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:36:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: National University and General Education Reform bill (Law'd) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: National University and General Education Reform bill (Law'd)  (Read 7316 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« on: August 17, 2012, 10:43:49 PM »

Basically, the idea of this bill is to assist regions in bringing in economic activity to areas that are in need of them and help transition our nation's education system into one that is more public, affordable, and useful to the students they serve.  This bill, albeit not a drastic change to the structure of our education system, will steadily put our nation's youth on the path toward success in a universal college system.

And to expand on my proposed alternative: use the funds you would be using to fund grants to the regions to create satellite campuses of existing regional universities in economically distressed areas, thereby not having to establish an entire new national university administration and having universities that come with a proven brand name already instead of an entirely new operation (thus helping with student recruitment as well). It saves money, and it makes sense.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 08:29:35 AM »
« Edited: August 18, 2012, 08:38:25 AM by IDS Legislator SJoyceFla »

Basically, the idea of this bill is to assist regions in bringing in economic activity to areas that are in need of them and help transition our nation's education system into one that is more public, affordable, and useful to the students they serve.  This bill, albeit not a drastic change to the structure of our education system, will steadily put our nation's youth on the path toward success in a universal college system.

And to expand on my proposed alternative: use the funds you would be using to fund grants to the regions to create satellite campuses of existing regional universities in economically distressed areas, thereby not having to establish an entire new national university administration and having universities that come with a proven brand name already instead of an entirely new operation (thus helping with student recruitment as well). It saves money, and it makes sense.

Establishing a national university system would introduce competition to regional public universities, which should in turn force improvements. It allows the federal government to have a larger say in tuition costs and education quality. These campuses aren't meant to be just another generic public university, the goal is to develop a true world class university system, that rivals our most storied private universities.

In other words, you want the federal government to expand into and "have a larger say" in yet another realm that's traditionally (with the exception of West Point, Annapolis, etc.) been the domain of the regions while attempting to drive out of business several private universities?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 11:49:20 AM »

Basically, the idea of this bill is to assist regions in bringing in economic activity to areas that are in need of them and help transition our nation's education system into one that is more public, affordable, and useful to the students they serve.  This bill, albeit not a drastic change to the structure of our education system, will steadily put our nation's youth on the path toward success in a universal college system.

Establishing a national university system would introduce competition to regional public universities, which should in turn force improvements. It allows the federal government to have a larger say in tuition costs and education quality. These campuses aren't meant to be just another generic public university, the goal is to develop a true world class university system, that rivals our most storied private universities.

In other words, you want the federal government to expand into and "have a larger say" in yet another realm that's traditionally (with the exception of West Point, Annapolis, etc.) been the domain of the regions while attempting to drive out of business several private universities?

No. Excuse me for being baffled at the suggestion that this bill would drive "out of business" several private universities, which are not even allowed to act as businesses, and would be unharmed by this bill considering the surplus of students, and offended at the suggestion that I want universities to fail. There is an increasing federal interest in higher education, especially with the nationalization of student loans.

Excuse me for not believing that a 50% tax wouldn't harm and potentially bankrupt universities.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 01:27:24 PM »
« Edited: August 18, 2012, 01:55:24 PM by IDS Legislator SJoyceFla »

No. Excuse me for being baffled at the suggestion that this bill would drive "out of business" several private universities, which are not even allowed to act as businesses, and would be unharmed by this bill considering the surplus of students, and offended at the suggestion that I want universities to fail. There is an increasing federal interest in higher education, especially with the nationalization of student loans.

Excuse me for not believing that a 50% tax wouldn't harm and potentially bankrupt universities.

What universities do you think would be affected by it? Any real university would not be affected by this tax, the Student Loan Protection Act I sponsored and passed forbid federal loans from going to students at for-profit universities, widely regard as little more than a scam against minorities and impoverished young people. This tax limits them further and offsets any good they may have provided by strengthening career and vocational training at local community and city colleges.

I've already requested specific names from the GM; to name just a couple universities, Full Sail University and Everest University would have this 50% tax and more likely than not go bankrupt. You're driving Le Cordon Bleu out of the country; these aren't scams, these are legitimate institutions and you're taxing them to death. And when these schools do shut down, and do leave, how do you intend to keep funding this new stuff you're setting up?

Senator Ben's amendment is a great improvement.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 03:04:09 PM »

I've already requested specific names from the GM; to name just a couple universities, Full Sail University and Everest University would have this 50% tax and more likely than not go bankrupt. You're driving Le Cordon Bleu out of the country; these aren't scams, these are legitimate institutions and you're taxing them to death. And when these schools do shut down, and do leave, how do you intend to keep funding this new stuff you're setting up?

Yes, those are for-profit universities. They are not legitimate institutions of education.

They're accredited by ACCSC and ACICS, respectively. That makes them legitimate institutes of education.

That amendment just guts the bill. I would love to hear Senator Ben argue in favor of for-profit universities. I also object to removing our involvement in determining the location; this is federal money.

It guts the bill by removing the part that's part of your vendetta against for-profit institutions of education.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 03:38:33 PM »

That amendment just guts the bill. I would love to hear Senator Ben argue in favor of for-profit universities. I also object to removing our involvement in determining the location; this is federal money.

It guts the bill by removing the part that's part of your vendetta against for-profit institutions of education.

I do not have a "vendetta" against for-profit universities. I am not out to get anyone. I seek to improve the quality of our higher education system, improve access for those less fortunate and those who face discrimination, and remove predatory tactics that put profit as their primary goal instead of education.

You're bashing for-profit universities as "a scam against minorities and impoverished young people" and saying they're "not legitimate institutions of education", and I don't think all for-profit universities have to suffer a massive tax just because some of them use predatory tactics. Some for-profit universities are scams, yes, but that means we should put more focus into investigating those scams and exposing them rather than putting a blanket tax on all universities of a certain category.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 03:50:07 PM »
« Edited: August 18, 2012, 03:55:58 PM by IDS Legislator SJoyceFla »

I do not have a "vendetta" against for-profit universities. I am not out to get anyone. I seek to improve the quality of our higher education system, improve access for those less fortunate and those who face discrimination, and remove predatory tactics that put profit as their primary goal instead of education.

You're bashing for-profit universities as "a scam against minorities and impoverished young people" and saying they're "not legitimate institutions of education", and I don't think all for-profit universities have to suffer a massive tax just because some of them use predatory tactics. Some for-profit universities are scams, yes, but that means we should put more focus into investigating those scams and exposing them rather than putting a blanket tax on all universities of a certain category.
They don't have to suffer a massive tax. They can reform their approach by transitioning from a business to a legitimate university.
Do we have to de facto prohibit an entire business model? Could we make the tax so that it only hits specific kinds based on the geographic scope, certification, and ownership model so that we can hit the legitimate scams while not hitting your small graphic design/culinary schools?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 04:14:02 PM »

If you have any specific ideas, I would be willing to take a look at them and consider its merit. As of right now, I can't think of any specific guidelines I would find acceptable. I generally think that education works best without a profit motive.

How about waive it in the event that [5% student loans thing] plus the university is accredited by a member of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 11:33:35 AM »

Can we add in a conscienctious objector clause to the tax section to exempt religious institutions who reject student loans for philosophical reasons?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 12:41:32 PM »

Can we add in a conscienctious objector clause to the tax section to exempt religious institutions who reject student loans for philosophical reasons?

Do you know anyone who manages a parochial college that objects to student loans for philosophical reasons? Huh

See Shua's post from a page ago.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies