Mormon Proxy Baptism Possibly Performed On Paul Ryan Relatives.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:12:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Mormon Proxy Baptism Possibly Performed On Paul Ryan Relatives.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mormon Proxy Baptism Possibly Performed On Paul Ryan Relatives.  (Read 9176 times)
retromike22
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 17, 2012, 07:34:11 PM »

"A researcher who has found documentation that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was performing proxy posthumous baptisms of Holocaust victims, celebrities and other non-Mormons said that relatives of Rep. Paul Ryan, the Roman Catholic running mate of the country's most prominent Mormon, Mitt Romney, were on a list of future baptisms or had the ritual performed on their behalf."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/16/mormon-proxy-baptism_n_1778904.html?utm_hp_ref=elections-2012

I wonder... if in exchange for being on the ticket, did Romney ask Ryan if his church could baptize Ryan's deceased relatives?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 07:47:46 PM »

I think the Mormon Church should baptize ancestors of Barack and Michelle Obama and Joe and Jill Biden.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 01:13:14 AM »

I think the Mormon Church should baptize ancestors of Barack and Michelle Obama and Joe and Jill Biden.

wut
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 03:21:45 AM »

Why?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 09:57:40 AM »

Uggh, sometimes I want to slap my fellow Mormons upside the head. The Church leadership has only asked three things of us in regards to baptisms for the dead; Don't baptize Holocaust victims, don't baptize politicians/famous people, and try to stick to your own family! That's all they've said about it, and we keep violating those rules and get yelled out by everyone because of it!

So frustrating.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 06:04:43 PM »

The LDS has sealed or whatever my grandparents on my mother's side, one of whom was not religious at all. I found that out via the internet. A nicely family tree however was put up. If someone "seals" me after my corpse assumes room temperature, it will be a pity that I won't know about it, to have a good laugh. The last thing the LDS wants is me in its celestial kingdom - trust me. Smiley
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 11:33:58 PM »

The LDS has sealed or whatever my grandparents on my mother's side, one of whom was not religious at all. I found that out via the internet. A nicely family tree however was put up. If someone "seals" me after my corpse assumes room temperature, it will be a pity that I won't know about it, to have a good laugh. The last thing the LDS wants is me in its celestial kingdom - trust me. Smiley

Do you have any LDS relatives? Nowadays, that should be the only reason why your grandparents were sealed.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 12:33:24 AM »

Do you have any LDS relatives? Nowadays, that should be the only reason why your grandparents were sealed.

Only on my Dad's side, a second cousin, that I know of.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 02:22:47 PM »

If the Mormons want me after I'm dead, they're welcome to me, I guess.  I'd have nothing to say about it, being dead and all.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 02:57:13 PM »

This is actually one of the rare issues where I'm completely on the Mormons' side, I don't find anything about this even remotely offensive including for Holocaust victims and wouldn't care in the slightest if they did it for me or any of my relatives. Quite frankly I find the objection so ridiculous I'd prefer they keep doing it for everyone including Holocaust victims because I find the objections as baseless as the practice. Furthermore they are fully aware of the oversensitive whiners and thus keep it secret, the relatives of the deceased are not even supposed to know it's being done, but then some wannabe Bradley Manning leaks info and acts like it's some type of moral outrage when in fact it'd be a total non-issue if the leak had never happened. Just shut up and let the Mormons do whatever weird things they wish to do in private.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 04:29:14 PM »

This is actually one of the rare issues where I'm completely on the Mormons' side, I don't find anything about this even remotely offensive including for Holocaust victims and wouldn't care in the slightest if they did it for me or any of my relatives. Quite frankly I find the objection so ridiculous I'd prefer they keep doing it for everyone including Holocaust victims because I find the objections as baseless as the practice. Furthermore they are fully aware of the oversensitive whiners and thus keep it secret, the relatives of the deceased are not even supposed to know it's being done, but then some wannabe Bradley Manning leaks info and acts like it's some type of moral outrage when in fact it'd be a total non-issue if the leak had never happened. Just shut up and let the Mormons do whatever weird things they wish to do in private.

Haha, that's kind of awesome. You, a distinctly non-(and anti in some cases)Mormon, disagree with myself, a devout Mormon on the Holocaust victim baptisms.

Anyway, you're correct on the "wannabe Bradley Manning" thing; there's a couple of ex-Mormons (that haven't technically left the church and haven't yet been excommunicated) that know their way around the system and figure out when Holocaust victims were baptized, and they're always the ones to leak the info to the media outlets that would be most outraged by it. They're getting kind of desperate though, since the only Mormons that haven't been specifically told to not baptize Holocaust victims are not English speakers, frequently in rural areas. In fact, the latest "the Mormons baptized Anne Frank for the umpteenth time" leak came from Puerto Rico or Guatemala, if I recall correctly.

So those folks usually don't even know who Anne Frank is, and just think it's a nice English name of someone they can baptize. And yet those who leak the names conveniently only partially mention the areas in which the baptisms keep happening. Every English-speaking Mormon knows not to do that anymore, it's just that we've been slow to translate that warning.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 11:59:37 PM »

Obviously I was simply reacting to the poster that seemed to be outraged that an ancestor of Paul Ryan was baptized by proxy.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 08:44:37 AM »

I always believed morman have no morals.

This is shameful.

They better not do this to Ronald Reagan.

Well, judging from how much most LDS folks like Ronald Reagan, it's probably too late.

And ouch, "Mormons have no morals"? That's painful. Of course we have morals; how would we Mormons get our horns without them? Wink
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 11:08:37 AM »

Can they do that?  When those people were alive they couldn't have been Mormen because of their race.  Is the admission of blacks retro-active?  (I suppose some of Barack's ancestors were white).
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 11:14:18 AM »

Can they do that?  When those people were alive they couldn't have been Mormen because of their race.  Is the admission of blacks retro-active?  (I suppose some of Barack's ancestors were white).

Of course it is retroactive. The LDS just misinterpreted God's design for about 130 years until God gave the senior elder the word. Everybody makes mistakes you know. To err is human, to forgive divine.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 11:39:16 AM »

Of course it is retroactive. The LDS just misinterpreted God's design for about 130 years until God gave the senior elder the word. Everybody makes mistakes you know. To err is human, to forgive divine.

and I think blacks could in theory if not necessarily always in practice have been Mormons, just not advance into the clergy.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 12:23:20 PM »

and I think blacks could in theory if not necessarily always in practice have been Mormons, just not advance into the clergy.

Which makes them no different from female Mormons today, or women in some other churches like the Catholic church, which gets criticized far less frequently and shows a giant double standard.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 12:36:48 PM »

Yup, it's retroactive, and individual black Mormons (the family of Elijah Abel to be specific) have gotten the priesthood in rare circumstances, even with the ban.

And there's a small but growing minority of Mormons who believe that the Church screwed up by taking Brigham Young seriously on the priesthood ban, and that it was never truly doctrine, just misguided policy. I'm one of them.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2012, 01:24:56 PM »

This is shameful.

DON'T TOUCH MY REAGAN!
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2012, 03:21:54 PM »

This is shameful.

DON'T TOUCH MY REAGAN!

You want to know what we really do in those secret temple rituals? We baptize Reagan in our filthy heretic waters, over and over again, for all eternity!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2012, 03:41:14 PM »

This is shameful.

DON'T TOUCH MY REAGAN!

You want to know what we really do in those secret temple rituals? We baptize Reagan in our filthy heretic waters, over and over again, for all eternity!

And now Gporter is devastated.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2012, 09:31:39 AM »

This is shameful.

DON'T TOUCH MY REAGAN!

And now Gporter is devastated.

And I'm totally blanking on any other snarky one-liners I could use against Reagan-esque figures.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies