To establish clearer proceedings for the Impeachment of Government Officials.
Be it enacted by 2/3 of the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia assembled.
This Amendment shall be titled as the "Impeachment Clarification Amendment".
Section 2: Impeachment
1. In the same manner as the proposition of a Bill, Articles of Impeachment may be proposed against any executive or judicial officer of the federal government.
2. All impeachment hearings will first take place in the Senate Committee on the Judiciary for a period of seven days. During this time, members of the committee may ask questions to all people involved in impeachment cases and review the Articles of Impeachment. All people in the deposition will provide their testimonies under oath. If a witness is found to have lied whilst bound by the oath, perjury may be charged against them.
3. Upon completion of the Committee hearing, the Senate shall be impaneled as a grand jury to consider these Articles of Impeachment; In considering these Articles, the Chief Justice shall preside, unless it is his own impeachment, in which case the President of the Senate shall preside. A two-thirds majority vote of the Senate under quorum rules will be necessary to impeach the Officer.
4. The People shall have sole power to try such impeachments. The Chief Justice shall administer a public poll to try the impeachment, unless it is the Chief Justice who shall have been impeached, in which case the Senate President pro tempore shall administer the public poll. The public poll shall be held for one week and shall require the consent of a majority voting to convict. Citizens shall make their vote publicly known in the form of a post.
5. Upon conviction by the People, the officer shall be removed from office immediately. Any person convicted upon impeachment shall be disqualified from holding any office under the Republic of Atlasia for a time period explicitly specified in the Articles of Impeachment.