President Romney vs Former President Obama
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:13:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  President Romney vs Former President Obama
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: President Romney vs Former President Obama  (Read 857 times)
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 08, 2012, 11:06:37 PM »

In 2013 it looks like we may fall back into recession. So if Romney wins, can Obama come back and win in 2016? He could just say "I told you so". You know, pull a Grover Cleveland.
GLPman
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 09:35:59 AM »

I don't think Obama would have a shot in 2016. He would never get nominated. He isn't popular enough with his own party to pull a Grover.

This. The Democrats would turn to somebody else. Why would they select a candidate that was defeated 4 years earlier? Pulling a Grover Cleveland in modern day would be nearly impossible.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 10:25:07 AM »

I think so. If Obama were a one-term President, he would be the only one in my father's lifetime to not face a primary challenge. Ford was challenged by Reagan. Carter was challenged by Brown and Ted Kennedy. Bush was challenged by Buchanan. There was never any serious suggestion that anyone significant would primary Obama.

That suggests that the base really likes him and that he is rather popular with his own party. He also has a few accomplishments that Democratic primary voters should be happy with (The repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell, the Reversal of Bush's torture policies, Wall Street Reform, End of War in Iraq.) Many of his current supporters would want him to run just for the chance at saving his legacy.

He would also start out with universal name recognition, which would make it difficult for any of his primary opponents to shine. With the exception of Hillary Clinton.

I suspect that if Hillary ran, Obama wouldn't, because it would be a more even match. And I doubt he wants the potential shame of losing the primary.
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 11:55:28 AM »

Not unless 2012 were tainted by multiple recalls and questionable recounts etc. Maybe if Obama lost the electoral vote but won the popular vote. Think 2000 on steroids. Maybe, maybe then since in 2004 and even 2008 there was a significant group within the Democratic party that wanted Gore in the race. It would have to have been a very contentious election night, etc. or even another Supreme Court ruling for this to be possible however.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 08:19:10 AM »

Interestingly, the last former President who actually attempted a comeback was Herbert Hoover at the 1940 Republican Convention. Well, he wasn't too popular among his own party, much less general electorate, but had some delegate strength and hoped that with deadlocked first ballots, he may emerge as a compromise candidate.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 05:41:02 PM »

He's said this will be his last campaign, and I take him at his word, as hard as that is for me to do.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 11:13:13 PM »

It's possible, but it will need a Cleveland like result.  Cleveland lost the electoral college in 1888 but won the popular vote.  If Gore had wanted the nomination in 2004 he could have had it and he might well have beat Bush then, but we'll never know.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies