Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 23, 2014, 08:26:59 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Election Archive
| |-+  2012 Elections (Moderators: Mr. Morden, Bacon King, Sheriff Buford TX Justice)
| | |-+  Romney may not be on Washington state ballot!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Romney may not be on Washington state ballot!  (Read 1444 times)
○∙◄☻tπ[╪AV┼cV└
jfern
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2012, 01:15:17 am »
Ignore

Since Rossi got greater than 5%, I think they qualified under a reasonable interprentation of the law.

Notice that it would be much harder for a 3rd party to qualify as a major party under the stupid top 2 system?
Emperor Scott
Scott
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -5.74

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2012, 01:20:56 am »
Ignore

N. Korea one party voting habits must be popular in Washington.

lol

Runeghost

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2012, 01:46:59 am »
Ignore

This is an idiotic technicality and will never be upheld.

Would it be upheld if it was being used to keep the Libertarians, the Greens, the Constitution Party, or any other 3rd party off the ballot?

Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -5.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.90
only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2012, 03:26:51 am »
Ignore

Evidently. I cannot see a legitimate alternative explanation for this "top two" crap passing a referendum.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Kalwejt
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2012, 08:40:46 am »
Ignore

No wonder it's difficult for a Republican to win there.

Obviously if not recounting, Washington would be solidly Republican in preside...

Never mind.
True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2012, 10:59:25 am »
Ignore

Evidently. I cannot see a legitimate alternative explanation for this "top two" crap passing a referendum.

In the case of Washington-state it's because of a desire for zero-party rule.  Washington was one of those states (along with California and Alaska) that had employed the blanket primary, in which a person can choose to vote in the Democratic primary for Governor and the Republican primary for Senator, etc.  That was ruled unconstitutional in the 2000 case California Democratic Party v. Jones.  The nonpartisan blanket primary that was already in use in Louisiana was adopted by referendum.  Effectively, the only race that remains partisan in Washington is the presidential race, which gives another possible way to rule -  the 5% threshold now can be met or set only by the Presidential race, and the Democrats and Republicans have major party status because of the result in that race.

I wonder why Van Heusen never bothered to make women's clothing?
Oldiesfreak1854
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

P P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2012, 05:37:03 pm »
Ignore

The state legislature/Supreme Court will probably do something about it.  I don't see how Romney really ends up failing to qualify for the ballot in Washington state.

Quote from: Dwight D. Eisenhower
There is nothing wrong with America that the faith, love of freedom, intelligence, and energy of her citizens cannot cure.
Second Chance: A Michigan Timeline
Can Joe Schwarz beat DeVos and Granholm to win the Michigan governor's mansion in 2006?
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout