Abortion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:59:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Abortion (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What's your stance on abortion?
Abortion should be legal and federally funded

Abortion should be legal, but not federally funded

Abortion should not be legal and should not be federally funded

Other (please specify)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 106

Author Topic: Abortion  (Read 9709 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« on: August 20, 2012, 08:18:14 PM »

Flush 'em. And encourage dumb young women to do so. But that'll never happen because the government can't make more money for its members without population growth, so babies will continue to be softly encouraged.

Who decides which young women are dumb?  Or are you assuming that about all of them?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 10:59:49 PM »
« Edited: August 22, 2012, 11:04:07 PM by shua, gm »

Flush 'em. And encourage dumb young women to do so. But that'll never happen because the government can't make more money for its members without population growth, so babies will continue to be softly encouraged.
Who decides which young women are dumb?  Or are you assuming that about all of them?

A vast majority, yes. Most young people are stupid, especially when it comes to a perspective on responsibility. Having a child as a teenager or even a little older strikes me as reeking of poor decision-making for a number of reasons.

It's probably horrible of me, I know, but I have a tendency to groan every time a teenage girl's first thought when she finds out she's preggers is not "well, off to Planned Parenthood."  I experienced this somewhat first-hand with my idiot cousin who I really don't care about at all.

I love how it's pro-lifers who are considered "condescending."
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 09:42:47 PM »

A vast majority, yes. Most young people are stupid, especially when it comes to a perspective on responsibility. Having a child as a teenager or even a little older strikes me as reeking of poor decision-making for a number of reasons.

It's probably horrible of me, I know, but I have a tendency to groan every time a teenage girl's first thought when she finds out she's preggers is not "well, off to Planned Parenthood."  I experienced this somewhat first-hand with my idiot cousin who I really don't care about at all.

I love how it's pro-lifers who are considered "condescending."

Well, I never said I'd legally mandate that all teens who get pregnant abort.

Not the point. You and fezzy support people getting abortions because you consider most young women to be idiots, and those who give birth to be irresponsible.  My opposition to abortion is not based in any way on disparaging beliefs about anyone, but on my belief in protecting young human lives.  It is not a matter of hating or not respecting women, as is so often baselessly claimed.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 10:55:24 PM »

If you are not your own private property (and thus possess the right to exclude others from it), you are not a person
There's a few unstated assumptions there (most notably that a person can be considered property).
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 12:45:04 AM »

If you are not your own private property (and thus possess the right to exclude others from it), you are not a person
There's a few unstated assumptions there (most notably that a person can be considered property).
Not a person, but one body of a person. Are you your own? If not, you are someone else's property.

I am my own in the sense that I exist as myself, but I do not own myself in the sense of being property.  To own something as property I must objectify it. Why would I want to objectify myself?
My body is not something I can separate out from myself and turn into a chattel, since it is fundamental and integral to every aspect of my existence.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 12:41:56 AM »

Considering my general political paradigm, this is the one issue where I'm unconventional.  It's constantly a struggle for me.

I was, at one point, against abortion in all cases except if the mother's life is at risk (because I believe it is self defense, and that should be a right).  But I've come to a position where I consider myself pro-life and pro-choice at the same time.

It seems to me that outlawing abortion won't really prevent it to any meaningful degree, but will cause many more women to die - meaning more death and suffering (if someone has studies showing otherwise, or that agree, I'm welcome to new information).  Either way, I believe the greater focus should be on contraception, and that contraception should be free and very easily available, and that sex education is critical in schools.  I feel to reduce abortion and reduce death - that is the very best approach.

And no, I'm not anti women.  Half of those killed in abortion are female, so on that I'd say I'm pro-women.  Not to mention Susan B. Anthony was strongly against abortion... and people aren't claiming she was anti-woman.

and don't forget what overturning Roe and eventually making abortion a crime would do to the prison population....I mean, you would think that would prevent most abortions, but does the War on Drugs do anything to prevent drug addiction or abuse? ...and now perhaps a large fraction of prisoners are drug offenders. At least banning abortion would end the gender gap in prisons.
most people who support making abortion a crime do not support throwing the mother in prison. they would charge the abortionist.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies