SJoyceFla (IB-FL) Omnibus Campaign Thread: Part IV-???
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:17:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SJoyceFla (IB-FL) Omnibus Campaign Thread: Part IV-???
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: SJoyceFla (IB-FL) Omnibus Campaign Thread: Part IV-???  (Read 2693 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 18, 2012, 03:44:03 PM »
« edited: November 11, 2012, 08:09:36 PM by IDS Co-Speaker SJoyceFla »

So I've decided to jump into this Senate race as candidate #11. I'll write up a detailed explanation of my policy on any given subject if there's anything y'all have questions about.

Bit new relative to some of the other candidates (like, say, Bacon King), but I'm ready to start talking about and hopefully solving the issues our nation faces. Currently I'm an IDS Legislator and Chairman of the Imperial Bloc, and I've also served as Secretary of External Affairs (and yes, my campaign will center on foreign policy).

In light of Senator Wormyguy not running for re-election, the Atlasian Senate could be left without a single Senator with any kind of libertarian leanings; as for the challengers this cycle, the only candidate with anything close to libertarian leanings is NV Townsend, who I urge you to support along with myself (he's a good choice for second preferences, as is Clarence). I'd generally categorize myself as (and this is what my political advisors tell me to say) fiscally responsible and socially tolerant, as well as a non-interventionist, though not an isolationist (diplomacy first and foremost, with war as, if anything, an absolute last resort). I may not agree with someone on everything, but I can probably agree with anyone on something, and multipartisanship will be a goal I strive for in the Senate, along with debating (and of course voting) on every bill. I'm going to attempt to support my principles, yes, but more than anything I want to get things done.

With the best of luck to my opponents,

-SJoyceFla
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 03:48:16 PM »

So many people running. Shocked

Despite my head exploding, I will be giving you a high preference.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 03:52:24 PM »

So many people running. Shocked

Despite my head exploding, I will be giving you a high preference.

The number of people running was one of the reasons I decided to run. Us libertarian-leaning/regional-rights advocating folks aren't that large a portion around here, but I figure if I can get a pretty decent percentage I can get in. Thanks for your preference!
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 04:23:53 PM »

Economic issues?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 09:08:51 PM »

I tend to support smaller government involvement in economics; I'd like to lower tax rates and prevent deficits. I also support free trade agreements with nations that can economically benefit from such agreements. I oppose attempts to over-regulate small businesses. However, I also support the rights of unions to do things such as collectively bargain, and support consumer protection and anti-trust regulation. Basically, I'm a moderate-conservative economically; also, I'm more focused on things like foreign policy and I'm not in favor of wasting the Senate's time on trivial issues, so I won't be introducing bills, say, repealing the national healthcare system or other things that would get shot down in a heartbeat. I prefer to focus on issues where I can make progress and get things done rather than taking an ideological stance and wasting everyone's time.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 09:09:49 PM »

I prefer to focus on issues where I can make progress and get things done rather than taking an ideological stance and wasting everyone's time.

I appreciate that sentiment. Smiley
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 09:13:52 PM »

I prefer to focus on issues where I can make progress and get things done rather than taking an ideological stance and wasting everyone's time.

I appreciate that sentiment. Smiley

Not naming names, but I think the current libertarian-leaning member of the Senate has been perhaps a little too rigid in his legislation and stances. I'd try to be a bit more accepting of compromise.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 10:21:08 PM »

How would you reform the federal tax code?

Mostly via reducing the tax burden on middle-income folks; personally I advocate the FairTax, but I think the best I can accomplish in the Senate is some cuts in the rates (though not enough to cause large defecits).
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 10:22:07 PM »

Mostly via reducing the tax burden on middle-income folks; personally I advocate the FairTax, but I think the best I can accomplish in the Senate is some cuts in the rates (though not enough to cause large defecits).

How far would you go beyond the tax cuts I signed into law?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 10:30:35 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2012, 07:26:28 AM by IDS Legislator SJoyceFla »

How far would you go beyond the tax cuts I signed into law?

Not all that much, maybe a percentage point or two, and taking a good look at possible cuts to, say, the estate tax (I don't think the final bill text included a percentage), that kinda thing. Nothing drastic.

Follow-up question: What kinds of spending cuts do you favor?

I think that in areas like defense (not military retirement), Afghanistan operations, maybe science and technology, the postal service (a slow phase-out or transition into a service focusing more on commercial deliveries, and nothing fast, given the massive amount of people it employs), transportation, and the national broadcaster (though this is sorta obvious; we don't need to spend much more on infrastructure acquisition now that we've acquired the infrastructure), in those areas, we could make small cuts without much adverse effect.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 08:30:33 AM »

Foreign Policy and National Security

So I'm going to talk about my stance on foreign policy/national security (personally the issue I find most interesting, being a former SoEA). Basically, my opinion on national security is that, while we need to maintain a strong national defense, we don't need to be nation-building. We've got enough nation-building we need to do right here. I believe it's finally time to end the deployment of Atlasian forces in Afghanistan (still a $600M budget item).

I'd also like to do a comprehensive audit of two things. One of them, which Rep. Hagrid has proposed and I find to be an excellent idea, is to take a good hard look at where our foreign aid is heading, and to reevaluate and redistribute that foreign aid so that it goes to nations that are most in need of it, and that it goes to nations where foreign aid goes to helping people and not to lining the pockets of its rulers. The other is our deployments overseas. Atlasian forces are currently deployed in large numbers in nations such as Kuwait, Japan, South Korea, Germany, and Italy. I favor an initiative to evaluate those deployments and attempt to consolidate and reduce our presence in those nations, and where possible turn over responsibility for defense to the host nation. I also believe we need to make better use of our military alliances to share the fiscal and human burdens of protecting the national interests of both those nations where Atlasian troops are deployed and of Atlasia.

I believe that in foreign policy it is important for Atlasia to lead by example. I support and would introduce a bill that would allow people detained unjustly during Atlasia's 'War on Terror' to seek compensation via the court system of Atlasia, and a right of all individuals detained to seek justice through the civilian court system, as well as a ban on indefinite detention. I fully support the Return to September 10th Act.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 09:54:57 AM »

Hot-Button Issues

My basic opinion on these hot-button issues is that the government should remain neutral on people's personal beliefs and should allow people to make decisions for themselves.
  • Abortion: I believe that life is precious and should be protected, and as such women should be allowed to make their own decisions during pregnancy until the point of viability of the fetus. I oppose statues like the Mideast's, which would ban all abortions except in specific limited cases, as an invasion of the private lives of individuals.
  • Gay Rights: I fully oppose any attempts to repeal the Elimination of Civil Marriage Law and Establishment of Civil Unions Act and support it continuing as our law regarding marriage; religious organizations should be allowed to follow their own beliefs on the matter so long as they do not impose such beliefs on others.
  • Stem-Cell Research: I oppose efforts to ban stem-cell research, yet am not a huge fan of government funding of the practice.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 11:17:42 AM »

Hot-Button Issues

My basic opinion on these hot-button issues is that the government should remain neutral on people's personal beliefs and should allow people to make decisions for themselves.
  • Abortion: I believe that life is precious and should be protected, and as such women should be allowed to make their own decisions during pregnancy until the point of viability of the fetus. I oppose statues like the Mideast's, which would ban all abortions except in specific limited cases, as an invasion of the private lives of individuals.
  • Gay Rights: I fully oppose any attempts to repeal the Elimination of Civil Marriage Law and Establishment of Civil Unions Act and support it continuing as our law regarding marriage; religious organizations should be allowed to follow their own beliefs on the matter so long as they do not impose such beliefs on others.
  • Stem-Cell Research: I oppose efforts to ban stem-cell research, yet am not a huge fan of government funding of the practice.

Could you speak on the Equal Rights Amendment?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 12:21:33 PM »

Hot-Button Issues

If Senator Scott adds in an amendment (which he mentioned in Sen. Clarence's office) that would exempt specific organizations (ex: Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts), then I have no concerns about it and would enthusiastically support it.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 12:36:34 PM »

If Senator Scott adds in an amendment (which he mentioned in Sen. Clarence's office) that would exempt specific organizations (ex: Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts), then I have no concerns about it and would enthusiastically support it.

Can you provide a full list of organizations that would like to exempt? Why do you favor exemptions for these organizations?

Actually, upon closer inspection it seems as though it would only prohibit discriminatory practices by Atlasia and the regions, not necessarily private groups. Since that means that Senator Clarence's concerns are addressed, I have no problems with it.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2012, 01:20:54 PM »
« Edited: August 21, 2012, 01:24:59 PM by IDS Legislator SJoyceFla »

Endorsement Update: I've been endorsed by 15-minute Senate candidate ChairmanSanchez, Mideast Governor ZuWo, as well as the official endorsements of the Liberal and Whig Parties.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2012, 03:47:31 PM »

Hot-Button Issues

Would you support an exemption for religious institutions?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2012, 03:54:04 PM »

Hot-Button Issues

Do you consider such an exemption needed in light of what the Constitution says about freedom of worship?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2012, 03:58:28 PM »

Hot-Button Issues

Since it only prohibits government actions that discriminate on sex/sexual orientation and does not apply to private groups (such as religious institutions), I do not believe such an exception is necessary.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2012, 04:40:31 PM »

Thank you SJoyce for answering my question.

I'll take the discussion back to the Judiciary Thread now for legal detailings.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2012, 07:25:25 AM »

What is your opinion of the values and aims of Mustafinism-Komovism? What is your opinion of Aliya Mustafina, Viktoria Komova and Maria Paseka? Your answers will determine if I offer you a preference.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2012, 02:25:36 PM »

What is your opinion of the values and aims of Mustafinism-Komovism? What is your opinion of Aliya Mustafina, Viktoria Komova and Maria Paseka? Your answers will determine if I offer you a preference.

They're certainly talented athletes, and are very very good at their chosen field. As for the movement, I see nothing objectionable about it.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2012, 10:17:42 PM »

Hot-Button Issues

do you support the ability of the regions to make it's own laws on these issues, or do you believe a single national policy is necessary?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2012, 08:43:40 AM »

Hot-Button Issues

do you support the ability of the regions to make it's own laws on these issues, or do you believe a single national policy is necessary?

I think we need a few lines that guarantee basic rights (ie: abortion cannot be completely banned) but that regions should be free to refine it (ie: abortion is banned beyond 20 weeks).
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2012, 06:27:42 PM »

Hot-Button Issues

I think we need a few lines that guarantee basic rights (ie: abortion cannot be completely banned) but that regions should be free to refine it (ie: abortion is banned beyond 20 weeks).
I disagree - I believe keeping abortion policy to the regions has kept this issue from being divisive for Atlasia, while sometimes the regions benefit in terms of activity from debating a passionate issue.  In spite of this, I have decided to give you my first preference.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies