At Large Senate Candidate Q&A
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:59:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  At Large Senate Candidate Q&A
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: At Large Senate Candidate Q&A  (Read 2305 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2012, 07:49:54 PM »

Since my post came before his, I'll assume the kiss was for me and graciously accept. Wink
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2012, 08:27:50 PM »

From a completely unbiased perspective, I'd say that Xahar is winning the debate as of now.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2012, 09:29:13 PM »

Here are some more questions:

1. What are your areas of expertise? Do you have knowledge on particular issues that would be unique within the Senate?

2. Would you aspire to serve on any of the established Committees? Do you think there are additional Committees worth creating? Do you feel committees have or can enhance the work of the Senate?

3. What measures would you support to stimulate the economy?

If I may, I'd like to ask each candidate where they stand on crime and what they think should be done to prevent future shootings like the ones we've been seeing in Colorado, Wisconsin, and Texas.  Do you support any new gun control legislation or right-to-carry laws?  Should we put more police on the streets and impose harsher penalties for crimes?  Should law enforcement focus more on punishment or rehabilitation for criminals?  How can we assist local communities in combating crime while respecting civil liberties?
1. I am going to spend my next term protecting Atlasian democracy. It has lately come under attack in an attempted court pack. I will also continue to explore options for electing members to legislative bodies that truly represent the diverse viewpoints of Atlasian citizens. The current IRV system is heavily biased to electing centrist candidates. Also regional representation violates one man one vote.
2. I currently serve on the Judiciary committee, I will work on creating a labor committee, to follow up on the legislation that I recently introduced that deals with FoxConn plants and overseas labor.
3. The Atlasian economy needs a new infrastructure that will be up to 21st century standards.
4. There should be a referendum for Atlasian people to decide. There should be more services available for mentally ill and we should work as a culture on removing stigmatization of seeking treatment.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2012, 09:40:31 PM »

I'd also like to say that I will work on creating a nationalized public upper education system that doesn't burden graduates and their parents with debt. It's very unfair for college education to be un-affordable for poorer graduates where it's almost necessary for social mobility in today's society.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2012, 09:49:27 PM »
« Edited: August 20, 2012, 10:00:25 PM by President Napoleon »

Seatown, can you expand on what infrastructure improvements would get us to meet 21st century standards?

Sjoyce, could you offer any specific countries that you would like to see free trade agreements negotiated with?

Snowstalker, how do you plan to fund your "much larger stimulus" and do you have any specific proposals?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2012, 10:10:49 PM »

Being in the right-wing minority, I think it’s unfortunate that someone with the life experience of Senator clarence would be excluded from a committee like the National Security Committee because of political disagreements.

Remember, though, that I am Chairman of the Committee, and I'm known for being pretty right wing when it comes to foreign policy.  I think you read too much into the vote, and, if I remember, he was competing with Andrew, a fellow conservative, for the last spot.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2012, 11:03:11 PM »
« Edited: August 20, 2012, 11:06:25 PM by HagridOfTheDeep »

Being in the right-wing minority, I think it’s unfortunate that someone with the life experience of Senator clarence would be excluded from a committee like the National Security Committee because of political disagreements.

Remember, though, that I am Chairman of the Committee, and I'm known for being pretty right wing when it comes to foreign policy.  I think you read too much into the vote, and, if I remember, he was competing with Andrew, a fellow conservative, for the last spot.

That's fair. I do agree with a lot of your foreign policy views, so things aren't all bad. Still, my example is an indicator of potential partisanship that could develop down the line.

There should be some sort of minimum party representation rule on the committees. Perhaps slots could be reserved for one candidate from every party represented in the senate. If a senator is the only member of his party serving in the senate, that senator should have the right to refuse membership. To make sure that one senator would not be on every committee, we could limit the number of committees any individual senator can serve on. I'd be open to exploring other options too, but there's got to be a better way to represent our constituents.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2012, 11:05:44 PM »

I don't think there's any need for partisan requirements.  The first three committees were done in a non-partisan way, and I wouldn't want to interfere with that.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2012, 11:14:10 PM »

I don't think there's any need for partisan requirements.  The first three committees were done in a non-partisan way, and I wouldn't want to interfere with that.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree then. Smiley

Every session is different, and I think the Atlasian people deserve more than to have to trust that politicians will be non-partisan.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2012, 07:46:05 AM »

1. What are your areas of expertise? Do you have knowledge on particular issues that would be unique within the Senate?

Game reform being my area of expertise pretty much goes without saying, I think. For better or worse it's the issue I've dedicated most of my time to in and out of office. Other people have plenty of knowledge on game reform, I'm sure, but I doubt others have a zeal that matches mine when it comes to it.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I suppose I would. I certainly don't have anything against the idea. I truthfully look forward to just learning how the damn things work. Tongue For a change, it's exciting to look forward to experiencing something new, rather than knowing things are the same rote old things.

I'm a firm committee skeptic, I never found them necessary, but they're established functions of the Senate now, and I intend on applying the skepticism into making sure they work as efficiently as possible. Do I think they can improve the business of the Senate? I still feel like that remains to be seen, to be honest. I think they can improve the quality of debate, at the risk of slowing down the overall rate of business.

I think implementing partisan quotas on committees would be a big mistake, though.

Social & Economic Development Zone law (something I rewrote wholecloth when I was Vice President) has gone a bit ignored, unfortunately. Especially unfortunate because of how much of a bugger they were to get passed in the Senate in the first place. Were I in the Senate I'd very much like to work on SEDZ recommendations to and from the regional governments. Implementing them is a tricky process that was never really fully figured out in the "game" sense.

More direct and clear implementation of those Zones would be something to figure out, I think. Also tinkering with one of the restrictions that I disliked having to write in the first place, but that can be figured out in the legislating process if I'm actually elected.

We could also probably extend some of the credit loosening legislation we haven't followed up on in a couple years, and renewing some of the old programs from the 2009 Recovery Act.

[/quote]

I think a sensible omnibus gun safety law is in order, to be honest. Closing gun show loopholes, enacting restrictions on clip sizes, cracking down on waiting time enforcement, tighter background checks, restricting the carrying of firearms into bars, supermarkets, publicly owned lands and buildings. Not really major stuff or anything that restricts the fundamental underlying right to responsible gun ownership.

Secondary to that though is making sure we have adequate mental health facilities and that we reduce the stigma to seeking even basic mental health treatment. Reducing the damage and potential scenes of disaster is one thing; preventing them before they occur is even more important.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2012, 12:49:24 PM »

2. Would you aspire to serve on any of the established Committees? Do you think there are additional Committees worth creating? Do you feel committees have or can enhance the work of the Senate?

3. What measures would you support to stimulate the economy?

If I may, I'd like to ask each candidate where they stand on crime and what they think should be done to prevent future shootings like the ones we've been seeing in Colorado, Wisconsin, and Texas.  Do you support any new gun control legislation or right-to-carry laws?  Should we put more police on the streets and impose harsher penalties for crimes?  Should law enforcement focus more on punishment or rehabilitation for criminals?  How can we assist local communities in combating crime while respecting civil liberties?

1- As a veteran and a small business owner for many years, I believe I have insight into veterans issues, national defense, and what is best for the sole proprietor- the backbone of our economy. Having put children thru school... I also have insight into this issue which is one reason I have been committed to education reform

2- I ran for the National Security Committee and was not elected but plan to run again if there is an opening... I believe they can enhance the work of the Senate and hope they are given due respect

3- I believe much deference must be given to the small business owner...a generation ago, a man or woman could make a better living by learning a trade then going to college. Not every one is cut out for a university environment but expanding vocational training is critical. I was a homebuilder and didn't hold a college degree....I picked up construction in the Navy which taught me more then I would've learnt in a classroom. The trend now seems to be to give every one a degree... well now to stand out a student has to get more degrees on top of a Bachelors which to me makes no sense. The student loan crisis is because every one feels the need to go to college... teach folks a trade, they end up making money before they are 20 with much less debt. Give them an environment where their small business can thrive and you've got yourself a success story

4- I've answered this above
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2012, 12:58:24 PM »

Snowstalker, how do you plan to fund your "much larger stimulus" and do you have any specific proposals?

The fact that we have a balanced budget in these tough economic times is indication that we should be spending more on getting Atlasians to work in good jobs. These would include various road and bridge repair projects, greater investments into high-speed rail, and programs much like the New-Deal era CCC to clean up the streets and our environment. Federal funds to education and health care should also be increased. Yes, the debt will increase, and we will most likely no longer have a balanced budget. However, I feel that increasing GDP and lowering unemployment is more important at this time.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2012, 01:34:37 PM »

Sjoyce, could you offer any specific countries that you would like to see free trade agreements negotiated with?

It's more of a desire to go back through the wiki, digging up years-old statutes, to make a comprehensive list of the nations we currently have free trade agreements with and the terms and conditions attached to such. Once I do that, I'd look at which nations we could benefit from having a free trade agreement with, and which nations we should perhaps revoke our free trade agreement with (ie: they've recently committed severe human rights abuses).
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2012, 01:37:32 PM »

It's more of a desire to go back through the wiki, digging up years-old statutes, to make a comprehensive list of the nations we currently have free trade agreements with and the terms and conditions attached to such. Once I do that, I'd look at which nations we could benefit from having a free trade agreement with, and which nations we should perhaps revoke our free trade agreement with (ie: they've recently committed severe human rights abuses).
I'd like to expand on this...

It is very confusing to me and others where this fantasy board becomes dinstinct from the real world... if in the real world Israel attacks Iran, is that taken into account here? My opinion is we ought to consider a blank slate whereby all laws and events become as they are in the real world
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2012, 02:07:09 PM »

I'd like to expand on this...

It is very confusing to me and others where this fantasy board becomes dinstinct from the real world... if in the real world Israel attacks Iran, is that taken into account here? My opinion is we ought to consider a blank slate whereby all laws and events become as they are in the real world

I think Hashemite posted guidelines on this (possibly while he was SoEA?), but I can't find them for the life of me.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2012, 10:28:21 PM »

Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2012, 04:23:22 PM »

Bump.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2012, 04:50:43 PM »

I can't speak for other candidates, but I'd be happy to accept questions from the audience.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2012, 04:58:28 PM »

I'd take any questions as well.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2012, 05:03:50 PM »

What is the single most important issue in Atlasia today?  How will you address this issue?
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2012, 11:39:37 PM »

Seatown, can you expand on what infrastructure improvements would get us to meet 21st century standards?

Well there are quite a few, most people have probably heard the story about the collapsing bridge, right? I plan to create a commission that will study which infrastructure projects are feasible. We should take a look at port improvements, freight rail improvements/expansion, and finally renovations of existing systems. This will include building a railroad from Alaska to continental US(via Yukon) and a tunnel under Bering strait. Also we should consider creating a high speed rail network, with a hub in Clevland, OH, that would connect Midwest and Northeast, and allow well over half of us citizens to travel to half of urban centers in one day. Other smaller segments would be considered to built in Florida, California PNW and Texas. My main concern with this is that it will be a project that will end-up subsidizing the rich.
I also want to replicate a nationwide urban growth boundary like in Oregon, to make it easier for municipalities to maintain services, and preserve rural land.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2012, 11:49:09 PM »
« Edited: August 24, 2012, 12:14:16 AM by President Napoleon »

The election has started so I willno longer be asking questions, though what other people choose to do is up to them. Smiley

Atlasia has already created an expanisve high speed rail network.

Liberal Senate candidate Franzl initially got it started, and I, as a Senator, greatly expanded upon it.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2012, 12:10:47 AM »

The election is over so I willno longer be asking questions, though what other people choose to do is up to them. Smiley

Atlasia has already created an expanisve high speed rail network.

Liberal Senate candidate Franzl initially got it started, and I, as a Senator, greatly expanded upon it.
I don't think this involves Cleveland, OH as a hub, that will require additional expansion.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies