At Large Senate Candidate Q&A (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:12:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  At Large Senate Candidate Q&A (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: At Large Senate Candidate Q&A  (Read 2411 times)
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« on: August 19, 2012, 06:17:58 AM »

Please count on my participation later on....have just gotten back home and will be settling in and unpacking after church
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 05:01:18 PM »

Following the model that worked in the Mideast and Northeast regions, I am opening this Q&A session for the candidates.

Here is the first set:

1. Why are you running for the Senate? What can you do to improve the quality of Senate debates?

2. What is your ideology and how does it impact your decision-making? What will your top policy priorities be during your term, if elected?

3. What is your opinion of the current Senate session's work (legislation, activity, and debates)?

Napoleon- thank you for hosting this Q&A...

1- I am running for Senate to continue the wonderful experience I have had in the Senate and to continue to represent my ideology. As every one knows- yourself especially- debates in which I participate can become mighty heated... but we end these debates with respect and undeerstanding. I believe I have respectfully but firmly argued my point of view and want to continue to have these fantastic discussions

2- My ideology impacts every bill I propose and debate on...I am a moderate Republican in the "real world but am on the right side of the spectrum on this board so my ideology often butts heads with many others. I aim to be a pragmatist- I know that I will not be able to achieve exactly what I want according to my views so I seek compromise. An example is the consription issue...I was pleased to vote for the recent compromise amendment even though I made clear over the course of months that I don't believe any limits should be placed on our ability to reinstate the draft. However, Scott and others on the left came from one end and I and others on the right came from the other...we met in the middle (due to Scott's amendment) and we reached a consensus. I will never refrain from voicing my opinions... what you see is what you get, but I will also never refrain from compromising with willing partners on the other side of the political spectrum

As for my priorities- national security remains a top priority. I do not want there to be a misconception here- I am NOT nor is any one I know pressing for war, my resolution simply gives Napoleon and his successors the ability to initiate conflict should the need arise. I believe Iran on the other hand IS pressing for war and we must be prepared. I will tell you that I've run out of ammunition for my educational reform initatives after many attempts so that issue will take a backseat. Overall-I do not have a problem finding issues to champion and you can expect more legislation which leads to interesting debate from me if I am lucky to be reelected

3- I am biased but believe this was an outstanding session...Senators such as Ben, Scott, and Redalgo have made it a true joy to discuss these issues. While some may say that there is a haphazard choice of issues before the Senate- I disagree. This is a fantasy board and we can discuss every issue under the sun...the debates have been interesting and at times heated, but we have come together and compromised and I am proud to say that I have participated in this work this sesion
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 05:30:21 PM »

If I may, I'd like to ask each candidate where they stand on crime and what they think should be done to prevent future shootings like the ones we've been seeing in Colorado, Wisconsin, and Texas.  Do you support any new gun control legislation or right-to-carry laws?  Should we put more police on the street and impose harsher penalties for crimes?  Should law enforcement focus more on punishment or rehabilitation for criminals?  How can we assist local communities in combating crime while respecting civil liberties?
First- I think only a fool would look at this wave of violence and not ask questions as to "why"....I've tried to contemplate the answer myself. I believe we need to do the following- we need an assault weapons ban and a national right to concealed carry. There is no reason I should be permitted to purchase a functioning M16 or riot gear- we are at no risk of descending into anarchy. At the same time, I believe having responsible, licensed gun owners carrying will increase the chance of heroism intervening to stop a horrendous crime. Criminals don't follow gun laws, so when a citizen could not carry a revolver onto Virginia Tech's campus- it gave the shooter an advantage. We must allow citizens the right to carry and must be swift in placing a ban on the purchase of functioning assault weapons
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 12:49:24 PM »

Here are some more questions:

1. What are your areas of expertise? Do you have knowledge on particular issues that would be unique within the Senate?

2. Would you aspire to serve on any of the established Committees? Do you think there are additional Committees worth creating? Do you feel committees have or can enhance the work of the Senate?

3. What measures would you support to stimulate the economy?

If I may, I'd like to ask each candidate where they stand on crime and what they think should be done to prevent future shootings like the ones we've been seeing in Colorado, Wisconsin, and Texas.  Do you support any new gun control legislation or right-to-carry laws?  Should we put more police on the streets and impose harsher penalties for crimes?  Should law enforcement focus more on punishment or rehabilitation for criminals?  How can we assist local communities in combating crime while respecting civil liberties?

1- As a veteran and a small business owner for many years, I believe I have insight into veterans issues, national defense, and what is best for the sole proprietor- the backbone of our economy. Having put children thru school... I also have insight into this issue which is one reason I have been committed to education reform

2- I ran for the National Security Committee and was not elected but plan to run again if there is an opening... I believe they can enhance the work of the Senate and hope they are given due respect

3- I believe much deference must be given to the small business owner...a generation ago, a man or woman could make a better living by learning a trade then going to college. Not every one is cut out for a university environment but expanding vocational training is critical. I was a homebuilder and didn't hold a college degree....I picked up construction in the Navy which taught me more then I would've learnt in a classroom. The trend now seems to be to give every one a degree... well now to stand out a student has to get more degrees on top of a Bachelors which to me makes no sense. The student loan crisis is because every one feels the need to go to college... teach folks a trade, they end up making money before they are 20 with much less debt. Give them an environment where their small business can thrive and you've got yourself a success story

4- I've answered this above
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 01:37:32 PM »

Sjoyce, could you offer any specific countries that you would like to see free trade agreements negotiated with?

It's more of a desire to go back through the wiki, digging up years-old statutes, to make a comprehensive list of the nations we currently have free trade agreements with and the terms and conditions attached to such. Once I do that, I'd look at which nations we could benefit from having a free trade agreement with, and which nations we should perhaps revoke our free trade agreement with (ie: they've recently committed severe human rights abuses).
I'd like to expand on this...

It is very confusing to me and others where this fantasy board becomes dinstinct from the real world... if in the real world Israel attacks Iran, is that taken into account here? My opinion is we ought to consider a blank slate whereby all laws and events become as they are in the real world
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies