At Large Senate Candidate Q&A (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:26:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  At Large Senate Candidate Q&A (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: At Large Senate Candidate Q&A  (Read 2369 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« on: August 18, 2012, 08:45:44 PM »
« edited: August 18, 2012, 08:55:31 PM by HagridOfTheDeep »

First, let me say it’s an honour to be running against so many high-calibre candidates. I really appreciate everyone giving me a shot and hearing me out over the course of the campaign. I look forward to continuing the process.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Primarily, I’m running for this job because I believe the senate could really benefit from some new blood. I’ve witnessed great discussion in the senate over the last few weeks, a lot of it facilitated by the Midwest’s newest senator, Redalgo. While I don’t agree with him politically, he’s proof that gambling on new voices can breathe life into tiring institutions. I bring a skillset to the table that I think would similarly serve this end.

I’m not a bill-writing-extraordinaire, but what I do provide is thoughtful discussion to the legislative process. My forte involves investigating the details of bills and making sure no concern is left unaddressed. A good guiding question is this: Will the provision achieve what it’s been set out to achieve? It’s with this process that I try to be a consensus-builder, not a partisan ideologue.

I consider myself to be a conservative and communitarian. It’s our job to fight for the best interests of communities—to preserve the foundational family unit, to foster pragmatic change, and to make sure individuals have the freedom to succeed.

In that regard, I think it’s important to strengthen our defenses at home and our diplomacy abroad. I’d also be interested in re-evaluating Atlasia’s foreign aid commitments—our system should prioritize countries with better human rights records, and we need to make sure aid actually gets to the people who need it. Domestically, we ought to be looking at some serious tax breaks for small businesses. I’ve also considered drafting something of a “Regional Bill of Rights" to guarantee regions autonomy over certain policy areas like education.

Game reform: It doesn’t need to be extensive, but clarifying the role of the game moderator is something the senate should look into. For example, I believe it’s no one but the GM’s duty to dictate the actions of foreign governments. As a diplomat, the SoEA should lobby the GM towards the administration’s foreign policy objectives.

I hope to go into a bit more detail on these objectives over the course of my campaign.

I’m fairly new to Atlasia, so I don’t have much to compare the current senate to. Policy-wise, I admired the co-operative debate on the Power to Parents Act, but I think issues like this need to be left to the regions. I also wish more senators would at least acknowledge the threat posed by President Ahmadinejad to our Israeli allies. The situation in Iran is extremely troublesome, and I’ve made some pretty detailed comments about it here. Even if you disagree with me, I hope you can appreciate my thought-process.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 05:52:24 PM »
« Edited: August 21, 2012, 12:46:03 AM by HagridOfTheDeep »

Thanks for the questions, Mr. President.

I’m currently studying human geography with an emphasis on urban issues, so I’d say that’s my biggest strength. While urban issues mostly fall to the regions, almost every piece of federal legislation has lasting impacts on our cities. Unfortunately, there hasn’t been much talk about these impacts in the senate. As a communitarian and urban geographer, I’d be very mindful of how our bills would affect metropolitan areas. I understand the balance between government and enterprise that helps shape dynamic, safe, and prosperous cities.

Also, I’m eager to expand my horizons, as I’ve already done over the course of this campaign. I’ll do whatever research is necessary to contribute to debate.

I’ll answer the last question first: From what I’ve seen, I think the committee system has the potential to elevate the quality of discussion in the senate. However, I’m a bit concerned that partisanship could derail the purpose of committees. Being in the right-wing minority, I think it’s unfortunate that someone with the life experience of Senator clarence would be excluded from a committee like the National Security Committee because of political disagreements. If committees are to serve the best interests of Atlasia, would a diverse panel not be more appropriate?

As it stands, I would enjoy serving on a committee like the National Security Committee. To correlate with my own interests, I’d also welcome the creation of an Urban Affairs Committee (covering housing, development, transportation, and public works issues).

The first thing we’ve got to do is cut taxes across the board. Specifically (but not exclusively), I think it’s reprehensible that we are robbing some Atlasians of 50% of their income. The effects of lower taxes would be two-fold: For one, we’d be giving more money back to our citizens to buy goods and services (which would create jobs and provide the government with more corporate tax revenues); secondly, our higher-income job-creators would be free to invest more money in business. I could also go on and on about the carbon tax, but I’ll leave my opinion on that to your imagination. Wink

Second, we’ve got to continue sending a clear signal to the world that we are fiscally responsible. In that regard, I think the Saving Over Spending Act is a positive step forward. I understand that spending cuts need to go hand-in-hand with my favoured tax cuts… By eliminating frivolous expenditures like the Atlasian National Broadcaster, I’m confident we’ll be able to sustain lower tax rates. A record of stability will show entrepreneurs that Atlasia is a safe place to do business. Manufacturing jobs can return to this country.

There’s one more thing I want to touch on here: The Corporate Clean Energy Credit. It’s a good idea, and we need to expand on it. Maybe I’ll be departing from my party on this one, but I really think we should be offering tax credits to businesses that market green technologies. These incentives will keep prices down, grow the market, create jobs, and help the environment.

The events of the last couple months have been devastating. The men who committed these senseless crimes were determined, and I believe they would have found a way to commit similar atrocities even without firearms. That being said, it’s becoming more and more clear that we’ve got to be performing background checks on people who purchase firearms. People with a history of mental illness should not be carrying guns.

The Aurora shootings inspired a copy-cat shootings. Thus, in dealing with criminals, our justice system must appreciate the role it plays in deterring our citizens from committing crimes. Punishments must be severe—we’ve got to be sending the message that we will not tolerate these types of violent acts. The regions can address the question of policing.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 07:49:54 PM »

Since my post came before his, I'll assume the kiss was for me and graciously accept. Wink
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 11:03:11 PM »
« Edited: August 20, 2012, 11:06:25 PM by HagridOfTheDeep »

Being in the right-wing minority, I think it’s unfortunate that someone with the life experience of Senator clarence would be excluded from a committee like the National Security Committee because of political disagreements.

Remember, though, that I am Chairman of the Committee, and I'm known for being pretty right wing when it comes to foreign policy.  I think you read too much into the vote, and, if I remember, he was competing with Andrew, a fellow conservative, for the last spot.

That's fair. I do agree with a lot of your foreign policy views, so things aren't all bad. Still, my example is an indicator of potential partisanship that could develop down the line.

There should be some sort of minimum party representation rule on the committees. Perhaps slots could be reserved for one candidate from every party represented in the senate. If a senator is the only member of his party serving in the senate, that senator should have the right to refuse membership. To make sure that one senator would not be on every committee, we could limit the number of committees any individual senator can serve on. I'd be open to exploring other options too, but there's got to be a better way to represent our constituents.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 11:14:10 PM »

I don't think there's any need for partisan requirements.  The first three committees were done in a non-partisan way, and I wouldn't want to interfere with that.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree then. Smiley

Every session is different, and I think the Atlasian people deserve more than to have to trust that politicians will be non-partisan.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies