At Large Senate Candidate Q&A (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:12:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  At Large Senate Candidate Q&A (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: At Large Senate Candidate Q&A  (Read 2377 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« on: August 18, 2012, 09:03:42 PM »

I'm running for Senate in an attempt to be a fresh voice to add to the current group of Senators, as well as be the token libertarian on the Senate. Plus, I've been commenting on the Senate while serving in the IDS Legislature; it'd be nice to be able to vote and propose amendments and fully contribute to the shaping of bills beyond just discussion. As for the quality of Senate debates, I think that I can represent a group broader than just myself, that I can represent the libertarians and regional-rights supporters, people who aren't represented in great number in the current Senate; that would let me bring the interests of a key component of Atlasian society to the table and be able to negotiate to get things done.

My ideology is classical liberalism with a focus on social tolerance and foreign non-interventionism (I'm more moderate economically), but I try not to keep my ideology from overriding practical necessities just for the sake of ideological purity. If I do win election, my primary issue would be foreign policy (including our trade relations with other nations). In particular, I'd like to specifically address our relations with Iran; I applaud the Vice President's progress on our relations with Iran and would like to do more to attempt to promote peace between our nations.

I have a relatively high opinion of the current Senate session, although there's always room for improvement; I like the introduction of committees and think they're good for allowing the most interested Senators to focus on specific topics. I also applaud the passage of the Treaty Ratification Amendment (an issue that came up during my tenure as SoEA; good to see it resolved), the Less Than HONORable Service Preclusion of Benefits Act, and the Anti-Conscription Compromise Amendment (may this issue finally be laid to rest). I agree with Marokai, however, when he said that we do need to try to tackle the big issues; I think that Clarence's upcoming resolution with Iran will bring one of those issues up for discussion, and there's many more that are worthy of discussion.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 05:55:40 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2012, 06:36:28 PM by IDS Legislator SJoyceFla »

If I may, I'd like to ask each candidate where they stand on crime and what they think should be done to prevent future shootings like the ones we've been seeing in Colorado, Wisconsin, and Texas.  Do you support any new gun control legislation or right-to-carry laws?  Should we put more police on the streets and impose harsher penalties for crimes?  Should law enforcement focus more on punishment or rehabilitation for criminals?  How can we assist local communities in combating crime while respecting civil liberties?

I think I could support an assault weapons ban, as well as bans on possession of firearms by people convicted of felonies (or violent misdemeanors), people who are mentally unstable, non-Atlasian citizens, minors, and those who use certain drugs which could induce mental effects (such as hallucinations). I'd also favor a requirement of much more stringent background checks on people who want to buy large numbers of guns or ammunition. I'd also support a full ban on armor-piercing/teflon-coated bullets. Like Senator Clarence said, I also support a nationwide concealed-carry plan and legalization of carrying firearms on school campuses.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 06:44:36 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2012, 06:47:48 PM by IDS Legislator SJoyceFla »

Here are some more questions:

1. What are your areas of expertise? Do you have knowledge on particular issues that would be unique within the Senate?

2. Would you aspire to serve on any of the established Committees? Do you think there are additional Committees worth creating? Do you feel committees have or can enhance the work of the Senate?

3. What measures would you support to stimulate the economy?

I'd say my areas of expertise are foreign policy and national security, but that's an area that also belongs to current Senator Ben and candidate Hashemite, among others. As such, I'd aspire to serve on (wow, what a surprise Tongue) the National Security Committee. I think there's room for another few committees (Health/Education/Housing/Urban Affairs/Transportation, Agriculture/Environment, Banking/Finance/Budget/Labor), but the current ones we have are reasonable. I think they can certainly enhance the work of the Senate by giving a few dedicated Senators the ability to craft excellent legislation, instead of it being everybody involved in everything for the entire time.

As for stimulating the economy, I'd favor additional free trade agreements, as well as reductions in taxation and spending (which I talked about in detail in my campaign thread). Asides from reducing the size of government, I don't think there's that much in the way of government action that we should take; we're progressing towards a better economy, and although it may be a rather sluggish journey, progress we are.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 01:34:37 PM »

Sjoyce, could you offer any specific countries that you would like to see free trade agreements negotiated with?

It's more of a desire to go back through the wiki, digging up years-old statutes, to make a comprehensive list of the nations we currently have free trade agreements with and the terms and conditions attached to such. Once I do that, I'd look at which nations we could benefit from having a free trade agreement with, and which nations we should perhaps revoke our free trade agreement with (ie: they've recently committed severe human rights abuses).
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 02:07:09 PM »

Sjoyce, could you offer any specific countries that you would like to see free trade agreements negotiated with?

It's more of a desire to go back through the wiki, digging up years-old statutes, to make a comprehensive list of the nations we currently have free trade agreements with and the terms and conditions attached to such. Once I do that, I'd look at which nations we could benefit from having a free trade agreement with, and which nations we should perhaps revoke our free trade agreement with (ie: they've recently committed severe human rights abuses).
I'd like to expand on this...

It is very confusing to me and others where this fantasy board becomes dinstinct from the real world... if in the real world Israel attacks Iran, is that taken into account here? My opinion is we ought to consider a blank slate whereby all laws and events become as they are in the real world

I think Hashemite posted guidelines on this (possibly while he was SoEA?), but I can't find them for the life of me.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 04:50:43 PM »

I can't speak for other candidates, but I'd be happy to accept questions from the audience.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies