Unlucky timing for Obama's speech (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:49:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Unlucky timing for Obama's speech (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Unlucky timing for Obama's speech  (Read 1727 times)
pepper11
United States

« on: August 19, 2012, 11:31:28 AM »

Both America and Obama will likely be in store for a rude awakening the day after his convention speech.

http://behavioraleconomy.gallup.com/2012/08/august-unemployment-not-looking-good.html
pepper11
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 11:35:49 AM »
« Edited: August 19, 2012, 11:44:12 AM by pepper11 »

No one is celebrating 40+ months of 8+% unemployment. Especially those I know that can't find work. The point is that politically the DNC convention falls on an unlucky week. Just like the football game could overshaddow Clinton's speech, this could overshaddow Obama's. On the oher hand, a good number probably really boosts Obama because the press may raise the stakes.
pepper11
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 01:18:38 PM »

If you put your trust in Gallup, you are a lost cause.

Gallup can poll presidential races, but they have failed big time at measuring economic success. I'll be waiting for the official data.

They look to be pretty accurate according to the graph. But who knows how this month will turn out. In any case, I still think the stakes are raised for this months report due to its timing.
pepper11
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 01:36:32 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2012, 02:38:55 PM by pepper11 »

I wonder if there is an increase in the labor force that is going on right now. That could raise the unemployment rate even with decent payroll numbers.

This may happen as economy seems to be picking up slightly on non-employment measures. It happened last month, but was fluky and more due to rounding error (it only changed by a couple thousandths, but crossed the rounding marker to go up from 8.2 to 8.3).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies