Politico:Another Ted Kennedy in the Senate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:55:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Politico:Another Ted Kennedy in the Senate?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Politico:Another Ted Kennedy in the Senate?  (Read 638 times)
Incipimus iterum
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 20, 2012, 02:07:36 PM »

http://www.politico.com/story/2012/12/another-ted-kennedy-in-the-senate-85328.html?hp=r2
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 03:30:00 PM »

Ugh, no. I'm fine with small political dynasties, but there's already been way too many Kennedys in office. Let's try another family for a change. I still like the idea of a Senator Capuano a lot more than yet another Senator Kennedy.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 03:33:41 PM »

Ugh, no. I'm fine with small political dynasties, but there's already been way too many Kennedys in office. Let's try another family for a change. I still like the idea of a Senator Capuano a lot more than yet another Senator Kennedy.

One could argue that the Kennedy dynasty was relatively unsuccessful compared to others. Jack was President for less than 3 years, Bob never had the opportunity to run, and Ted always missed his chance. And since Ted abandoned his presidential hopes, there's been no major Kennedy in national politics.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 05:24:09 PM »

One could argue that the Kennedy dynasty was relatively unsuccessful compared to others. Jack was President for less than 3 years, Bob never had the opportunity to run, and Ted always missed his chance. And since Ted abandoned his presidential hopes, there's been no major Kennedy in national politics.

Unsuccessful in national politics, yes, but in Massachusetts, they've been around since before Vietnam, with so much clout that simply being a Kennedy seems to mean an automatic win in an election. I'm fine with family influence being considered for a candidate, but for a Kennedy to win simply because they are a Kennedy is terrible.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 06:10:50 PM »

I recall reading that the effect was waning, in context to Patrick Kennedy. Caroline floundered.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 06:14:58 PM »

Any hopes of a Kennedy resurrection went out the window 13 years ago. I doubt Ted Jr. is running, he declined to run for either CT Senate seat.
adma
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 09:07:16 PM »

Also don't forget Kathleen Kennedy Townsend's mixed fortunes in Maryland.
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 04:19:15 PM »

Capuano or Markey are my choices, but yea I'm sick of the  cult of Kennedy.  Anyone with the last name all the sudden becomes a political superstar.. they could find some plumber with the last name and he would become Kennedy the plumber.

DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 04:51:14 PM »

Well, Edward Kennedy was a FF all the way to the bitter end (as the Kennedys generally were), so I hope Teddy runs and pulls it off. I don't resent the name at all.

But this Scott Brown thing is just nuts. The Democratic equivalent would probably be a redneck uber liberal coming out of Alabama or Kentucky. Just crazy.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 04:56:36 PM »

I will point out that the Kennedy last name isn't always golden in Massachusetts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_special_election_in_Massachusetts,_2010#Results_3
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies