The significance of Ryan's poor dress sense
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 06:40:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  The significance of Ryan's poor dress sense
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The significance of Ryan's poor dress sense  (Read 1769 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 21, 2012, 12:45:24 PM »

Take this as seriously or not as you feel like, or something:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/aug/20/paul-ryan-republican-dresses-badly
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 01:04:57 PM »

Who cares how he dresses, it's not like he's wearing clothes with holes or doesn't do laundry.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 01:15:22 PM »

The man looks like a little boy... beyond any of his views, this is what will bother folks my age. It sure as hell bugs me despite the fact that I try to see past it
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 02:17:21 PM »

First Politico now this... are some people sexually attracted to Paul Ryan?
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 02:20:57 PM »

Idiotic article.

His dress makes him look wonky and midwestern.  He is wonky and midwestern.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 02:38:14 PM »

First Politico now this... are some people sexually attracted to Paul Ryan?
are some people not?

I noticed Thomas Kuhn is number 5 on the guardian bookseller's bestseller list.  Is his book in the news or something?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 02:41:41 PM »

Paul Ryan is the know-it-all contrarian straight-laced goody-two shoes kid that would have ratted you out in high school for smoking a blunt.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 02:47:49 PM »

What the f**k did I just read?
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 04:50:46 PM »

Who cares?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 04:53:50 PM »

I for one would prefer that my Vice President did not look like a child wearing his father's cheap suit.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 06:20:18 PM »

Paul Ryan is the know-it-all contrarian straight-laced goody-two shoes kid that would have ratted you out in high school for smoking a blunt.

Yeah, the one the other kids would've given a haircut.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 12:22:12 AM »

Paul Ryan is the first national ticket candidate to have been born in the 1970s. That means he was among the first generation to spend their young adulthood in an era when suits were no longer regular, everyday attire for men, and, increasingly, weren't even worn to work.

Every man used to know how to wear a suit properly. Even a blue-collar worker would wear one to church on Sundays. Today, I'd venture to guess a large swathe of American men could go a year or more without ever being in a situation where they would be expected to wear a suit. They aren't required in the office anymore. They aren't required in church anymore. People don't dress up to go to the movies or get on airplanes anymore; the glamor of both of those activities has long since faded away. We've become a nation of elastic waistbands and Crocs and flat-brimmed baseball hats.

I have visions of a horrific future in which people campaign for president in badly fitting short-sleeved golf shirts and rubber-soled shoes.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 12:27:26 AM »

Paul Ryan is the first national ticket candidate to have been born in the 1970s. That means he was among the first generation to spend their young adulthood in an era when suits were no longer regular, everyday attire for men, and, increasingly, weren't even worn to work.

Every man used to know how to wear a suit properly. Even a blue-collar worker would wear one to church on Sundays. Today, I'd venture to guess a large swathe of American men could go a year or more without ever being in a situation where they would be expected to wear a suit. They aren't required in the office anymore. They aren't required in church anymore. People don't dress up to go to the movies or get on airplanes anymore; the glamor of both of those activities has long since faded away. We've become a nation of elastic waistbands and Crocs and flat-brimmed baseball hats.

I have visions of a horrific future in which people campaign for president in badly fitting short-sleeved golf shirts and rubber-soled shoes.

Considering how much Romney has avoided wearing suit this time around, you may just be right.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 12:32:01 AM »

I'm also going to nominate George H. W. Bush for best-dressed president in the modern era. He always had a very timeless, preppy style that was tasteful yet unpretentious, and very much in keeping with that old-school WASP 'I have too much class to show off how much money I have' mentality.

Mitt's Hermes neckties and shoulder-padded suits make him look like a Wall Street maven who wants everyone to know he could wipe his @$$ with hundred dollar bills if he felt like it.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 02:43:59 AM »

Yeah, the one the other kids would've given a haircut.

Are you sure other kids would want to join Mitt Romney in another one of his hair cuts of hate?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 07:16:51 AM »

I'm also going to nominate George H. W. Bush for best-dressed president in the modern era. He always had a very timeless, preppy style that was tasteful yet unpretentious, and very much in keeping with that old-school WASP 'I have too much class to show off how much money I have' mentality.

Yes GHW did dress well, I always liked the way he looked.

But as for Ryan.. yes there does seem to be some very strong correlation between sociopathology and bad dressing.  Why, I don't know, but there it is.

The correlation is strong enough that I would think that Republican voters would actually be viscerally uncomfortable with an even reasonably well dressed man - it is true they definitely were so with Bush the elder, but then it was a slightly less sociopathic electorate at that time.  And they tolerated Bush the younger well enough, though the man dressed quite tastefully for the most part.  I guess the creepy look in his eyes made up for that.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2012, 10:54:25 AM »

Yes, a very positive development. Count me in amongst American men who haven't worn a suit in a year...or ever for that matter. I dress the same to work, church or an indie/punk/hardcore show. Dressing up means wearing jeans without holes in them. Hopefully this trend continues.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 01:55:30 PM »

I wish I could say I wrote this. It could be. Very good, thank you for doing my job in my absence.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies