Which campaign is dirtier?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:48:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Which campaign is dirtier?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Well?
Camp Obama

Camp Romney

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 75

Author Topic: Which campaign is dirtier?  (Read 2378 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 21, 2012, 01:43:10 PM »

You can put the PACs with the candidates if you like since it's naive to believe they're not 'wink-wink nod-nodding' to the PACs their unofficial approval.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 01:48:08 PM »

95% of everything Romney and his campaign have said and continue to say is a lie.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 03:41:32 PM »

95% of everything Romney and his campaign have said and continue to say is a lie.

To be fair, I think 95% is a bit high.

Obama's campaign has not lied- show me otherwise if you disagree.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 04:34:19 PM »

They blamed him for a womans death....
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 1.83

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 04:45:45 PM »

They also suggest that Romney wishes to raise taxes on the middle class, which is only true if you consider the elimination of certain deductions and credits the same thing as "raising taxes" - which it isn't. It was BS when Grover Norquist said it about cutting farm subsidies and it's BS now.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 04:49:40 PM »

They also suggest that Romney wishes to raise taxes on the middle class, which is only true if you consider the elimination of certain deductions and credits the same thing as "raising taxes" - which it isn't. It was BS when Grover Norquist said it about cutting farm subsidies and it's BS now.
But that is a legit issue. Romney is just as guilty. That does not equal blaming a womans death on Mittens.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 04:55:40 PM »

They did not.
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 1.83

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 04:58:37 PM »
« Edited: August 21, 2012, 05:01:46 PM by stegosaurus »

They did not.

Of course not! Super PACs are independent of campaigns and act on their own.... </snark>

Either way: What do you think the pro-Obama Super PAC was getting at when they trotted that man in front of a camera and told him to tell his story of his wife dying after he lost his health insurance because of Bain capital (which was of course, a lie). Was it just a public service announcement?
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 05:02:13 PM »

They did not.

Of course not! Super PACs are independent of campaigns and act on their own.... </snark>

Sounds like a direct quote from Mitt Romney circa Newt Gingrich's surge.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 05:28:55 PM »

The ad about the woman who died had no lies in it.  Every fact was true.  If you are claiming otherwise, please be specific on which fact the ad lied about.

Romney's welfare/work ad, on the other hand, was a blatant, flat out lie, and I challenge any Romney supporter to claim otherwise.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 05:30:02 PM »

Could you guys be more specific about what you're talking about? My family doesn't have cable (we just find our favorite TV shows online) so I haven't been exposed to as many advertisements as you have. Provide links, then we can talk.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 05:47:09 PM »

Vosem: sorry, I don't have the link.

Either way: What do you think the pro-Obama Super PAC was getting at when they trotted that man in front of a camera and told him to tell his story of his wife dying after he lost his health insurance because of Bain capital (which was of course, a lie). Was it just a public service announcement?

What was the lie?  Everything you said really happened!
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 06:22:46 PM »

The dirtiest moment of the campaign is the Republican twist and distorting Obama's "...you didn't build that" comment, implying the antecedent of "that" was something it indisputably wasn't.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 06:36:22 PM »

Its all a matter of degrees. But the Romney campaign tends to get dinged more by the fact checkers than Obama, but neither are clean.

I think the big lie of the campaign so far has been the Romney campaign ads about Obama dropping work requirement from Medicare. That was ranked as a 'pants on fire' lie, yet the Romney campaign has run two multimilion ad campaigns on it. And it is just so craven to try and dredge up the old Welfare Queen type of resentment (which some think has a racial element too).
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 07:29:40 PM »

...and everyone vote the opposite of your party affiliation, go!
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2012, 08:02:53 PM »

Obviously the Obama campaign is dirtier, the dirtiest in the history of U.S. Presidential elections.

95% of what they say is a lie and continues to be a lie.

They have lied about Romney's sterling record as Governor of Massachusetts where he practically saved the states economy, they have lied about Romney's brilliant business career, where he literally created thousands upon thousands of jobs thus injecting life into the American economy.

The Obama campaign has sent out their obedient minions with lies, lies, and more lies, Reid about Romney's taxes, a lie, and they have even stooped to attacking Ann Romney, a courageous woman living with MS, and her horse of all things, which Ann Romney rides as a therapy for her condition.

The Obama campaign has set a new low in Presidential campaigns, the likes of which has never before been seen, nor hopefully, will ever be seen again.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2012, 08:40:48 PM »

Obama.
zorkpolitics
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2012, 08:51:15 PM »

Obviously the Obama campaign is dirtier, the dirtiest in the history of U.S. Presidential elections.

They have lied about Romney's sterling record as Governor of Massachusetts where he practically saved the states economy, they have lied about Romney's brilliant business career, where he literally created thousands upon thousands of jobs thus injecting life into the American economy.

The Obama campaign has sent out their obedient minions with lies, lies, and more lies, Reid about Romney's taxes, a lie, and they have even stooped to attacking Ann Romney, a courageous woman living with MS, and her horse of all things, which Ann Romney rides as a therapy for her condition.

The Obama campaign has set a new low in Presidential campaigns, the likes of which has never before been seen, nor hopefully, will ever be seen again.

Absolutely correct
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2012, 09:02:20 PM »

47th in the nation in job creation is sterling and you're complaining that the unemployment rate is so high?
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2012, 09:23:41 PM »
« Edited: August 21, 2012, 09:33:55 PM by Clinton1996 "You Know You Miss Your Daddy" »

Dirtier than the Rove run Bush-Cheney '04 Campaign? Doubt it.
Romney was ranked 47th in job creation. In fact, the state economy was a lot like our economy when Obama came to office. The RR Campaign says we shouldn't count his 1st year in office because his policies hadn't taken effect, yet they attack Obama for the 2009 losses. So if you discard Obama's first year, he's cated a net 4.5 Million jobs.
Obama-Biden never attacked Anne Romney. That chick Hillary Rosen said she never actually had a job. She didn't work for the DNC or Obama. They attacked a horse that cost more than $100k. So a family that earns the national median income of about $51,000 could buy a dressage horse in about two years if they saved all their money (and I mean all of it) but they'd probably already be dead or have to eat it if they want to survive.
Bush-Cheney '04, Carter-Mondale '80, Nixon-Agnew '72 the list goes on. Neither side is clean, and Obama's run a lot of dirty ads. But Romney's campaign just blatantly lies in their ads. Take the welfare work thing or example. Pants On Fire.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2012, 09:28:27 PM »

Romney's #1 accomplishment as governor was passing Obamacare in Massachusetts, and Obama politely gives him full credit for that.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2012, 09:39:49 PM »

Anyone who doesnt see how both campaigns are dirty is a hack

Biden's chains thing was wrong, Obama did the Shamus thing recently. And they have twisted things and gone out of context in their ads too.

But I'm not sure this year is any dirtier than past years (and we still have time yet)

I agree with Dana Milbank's recent WaPo column:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2012, 09:56:55 PM »

From Wiki, Governor Romney reversed the financial situation in Massachusetts from a huge deficit to a huge surplus.  He will do the same for America.

Upon entering office in the middle of a fiscal year, he faced an immediate $650 million shortfall and a projected $3 billion deficit for the next year. Unexpected revenue of $1.0–1.3 billion from a previously enacted capital gains tax increase and $500 million in unanticipated federal grants decreased the deficit to $1.2–1.5 billion. Through a combination of spending cuts, increased fees, and removal of corporate tax loopholes, the state ran surpluses of around $600–700 million for the last two full fiscal years Romney was in office, although it began running deficits again after that.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2012, 09:58:47 PM »

I agree the Obama camp is full of sh**t, but to call Romney's record sterling is a god damn joke.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2012, 10:03:16 PM »

From Wiki, Governor Romney reversed the financial situation in Massachusetts from a huge deficit to a huge surplus.  He will do the same for America.

Upon entering office in the middle of a fiscal year, he faced an immediate $650 million shortfall and a projected $3 billion deficit for the next year. Unexpected revenue of $1.0–1.3 billion from a previously enacted capital gains tax increase and $500 million in unanticipated federal grants decreased the deficit to $1.2–1.5 billion. Through a combination of spending cuts, increased fees, and removal of corporate tax loopholes, the state ran surpluses of around $600–700 million for the last two full fiscal years Romney was in office, although it began running deficits again after that.
Yes, tax increases and closure of corporate loopholes. A balanced approach which the Romney Budget doesn't incorporate. If he takes the balanced approach of more than only Draconian spending cuts then he might be able to do it for America.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies