Has the Culture War returned for 2012? And is the GOP on the losing side now?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 07:53:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Has the Culture War returned for 2012? And is the GOP on the losing side now?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Has the Culture War returned for 2012? And is the GOP on the losing side now?  (Read 1937 times)
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2012, 12:03:21 PM »

Significantly more lenient that the international norm? They're roughly as restrictive as Canada, Cuba, Guyana, South Africa, France, Spain, Portugal, Switzerland, Austria, Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, the Baltics, Norway, Sweden, the fmr. Yugoslavia, the fmr. Soviet Union, Bahrain, China, Mongolia, Nepal, Vietnam, Cambodia, and many others. We're nowhere near more lenient than the "international norm" if you're considering the international norm to be developed countries and others comparable to the United States.

Yes, yes, 2nd Amendment stands, War on Drugs is a failure like Prohibition, affirmative action eventually dies, and liberalism prevails.

That's simply not true. The only real federal prohibition on abortion is on intact dilation and extraction, which almost never happened in the first place. Theoretically in the absence of state law, you could get an abortion up to the birth date.

Of course, we do have state laws, so we should look at them. http://www.guttmacher.org/statecenter/spibs/spib_PLTA.pdf

Generally, the states split into three groups. Some prohibit at 20 weeks, others at 24, and some at 28. And some, primarily the most conservative state, have requirements such as a 24-hour waiting period, parental notification, or the approval of two doctors. The abortion law in Europe is generally closer fitting to red states, and by closer, I mean considerably more restrictive.

For example, in Germany, abortion is only permitted up to the twelfth week of pregnancy and only after a three-day waiting period and a period of mandatory state-provided (anti-abortion) counseling. This is /far/ more restrictive than anything in even the reddest of American states.

This twelve-week standard (first trimester) is in fact the norm in France, Italy, and Belgium (also has mandatory counseling), Austria, Swizerland (yay counseling) and most European countries. Spain is somewhat more lenient at 14. Sweden is one of the /most/ lenient at 18. And the Netherlands is considered the most lenient of all at twenty weeks. Twenty weeks as we can see, is generally the median among American states. And of course, this is not even mentioning the European countries where abortion is completely banned (such as Poland and Ireland).

If every state in America was to switch to the "Western European" model of abortion law, it would represent a victory for the pro-life movement beyond their wildest imaginations.

Also, I believe if one loses on every single issue except one (gay rights), we call that defeat.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2012, 12:33:01 PM »

Yes, yes, 2nd Amendment stands, War on Drugs is a failure like Prohibition, affirmative action eventually dies, and liberalism prevails.

Also, I believe if one loses on every single issue except one (gay rights), we call that defeat.

If one wins on every issue you named (gay rights, 2nd amendment, the war on drugs, affirmative action, and abortion), I believe that's a victory.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2012, 12:36:26 PM »

If one wins on every issue you named (gay rights, 2nd amendment, the war on drugs, affirmative action, and abortion), I believe that's a victory.

Are you referring to classical liberalism or libertarianism? Because for the American social liberal movement as embodied by the Democratic Party, they've clearly lost on the 2nd amendment, affirmative action, and have lost ground on abortion (at least from the hey-days before Casey).
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2012, 12:38:09 PM »

Millenials (1981-2000) are almost soon to their "coming to Jesus time". Most Millenials are Pro-Life inspite of other socially liberal leaning positions. Look at the Millenials that the media are propping up Tim Tebow, Jeremy Lin, Jordin Sparks, Colton Dixon. All to my knowledge are very outspoken socially conservative Christians. Do I need to mention those Jonas Brothers

Yes... Because "coming to Jesus" is a simple aspect of maturity that we all go through.  Screw you, buddy.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2012, 12:44:14 PM »

Millenials (1981-2000) are almost soon to their "coming to Jesus time". Most Millenials are Pro-Life inspite of other socially liberal leaning positions. Look at the Millenials that the media are propping up Tim Tebow, Jeremy Lin, Jordin Sparks, Colton Dixon. All to my knowledge are very outspoken socially conservative Christians. Do I need to mention those Jonas Brothers

That's hilarious.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2012, 05:25:17 PM »

Are you referring to classical liberalism or libertarianism? Because for the American social liberal movement as embodied by the Democratic Party, they've clearly lost on the 2nd amendment, affirmative action, and have lost ground on abortion (at least from the hey-days before Casey).

I'm referring to liberalism in the worldwide sense, yes.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies