Do any gun control advocates here share this sentiment about gun restrictions...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:21:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do any gun control advocates here share this sentiment about gun restrictions...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Do any gun control advocates here share this sentiment about gun restrictions...  (Read 690 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 21, 2012, 09:01:54 PM »

...for people with mental health disorders?

Not saying I oppose it, but some mental illnesses don't necessarily imply an increased risk for violence. Could that be a civil rights issue (given that gun ownership is considered a right, regardless of whether or not it should be), and possibly slippery slope onto rights the left supports...
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 09:17:37 PM »

I agree that the criteria shouldn't just be "mental health disorder." It can only be a factor if increased risk for violence can be measured basically independently of whether the person has an official DSM-IV condition. The Colorado shooter definitely would have fit-- it wasn't that he had a mental health issue, but that the psychiatrist specifically warned the school he might be a danger to others.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 09:30:27 PM »
« Edited: August 21, 2012, 09:32:36 PM by Free Palestine »

I think it's pretty discriminatory to ban someone from having a gun just because they have a mental disorder.  That really is like banning someone from having a gun just for being black.  The only difference is that ableism is sort of seen as being okay.

But then again, I'm pro-gun as hell.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 11:18:45 PM »

I agree that the criteria shouldn't just be "mental health disorder." It can only be a factor if increased risk for violence can be measured basically independently of whether the person has an official DSM-IV condition. The Colorado shooter definitely would have fit-- it wasn't that he had a mental health issue, but that the psychiatrist specifically warned the school he might be a danger to others.
This is the correct response.  Crazy people who have violent tendencies shouldn't be allowed to have guns.  A broad brush of banning guns from anybody that's considered seeing a shrink would be wrong.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 01:00:55 PM »

This is the correct response.  Crazy people who have violent tendencies shouldn't be allowed to have guns.  A broad brush of banning guns from anybody that's considered seeing a shrink would be wrong.
and would discourage people from seeking help.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 04:58:37 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

How much do you know about mental illness?  In any event, that word you inserted, "necessarily," kind of gives one cold comfort. Sure the dude can have a gun, because he may not necessarily kill me. Great!

Oh, my opinion. Sickies should not have guns. Period. Thanks.  
Link
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 05:14:16 PM »

...for people with mental health disorders?

Not saying I oppose it, but some mental illnesses don't necessarily imply an increased risk for violence. Could that be a civil rights issue (given that gun ownership is considered a right, regardless of whether or not it should be), and possibly slippery slope onto rights the left supports...

This is a strawman.  Lay people use the word "crazy" in a very broad kind of useless way.  Diagnosable mental illness is something that must meet very specific criteria as laid out in the DSM IV.  No expert would advise lawmakers to make a blanket prohibition on guns for people with a mental illness.  For heaven sake body dysmorphic disorder is diagnosable mental illness.  You can't ban someone from gun ownership simply because they got one too many boob jobs.

If someone is obsessive about cleaning their gun, making sure it's unloaded, and making sure it's locked up then someone like that with OCD would in my opinion be the perfect candidate for gun ownership.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 10:56:23 PM »

How much do you know about mental illness?  In any event, that word you inserted, "necessarily," kind of gives one cold comfort. Sure the dude can have a gun, because he may not necessarily kill me. Great!

Oh, my opinion. Sickies should not have guns. Period. Thanks.  

He knows more than you apparently. Being mentally ill is not the same thing as being psychotic. Statistics indicate that on average people with mental illnesses are no more violent than most people. Are you not aware that mental illness includes things like ADHD - are people with that condition "sickies" who shouldn't have guns?

By the way, a clinically sane person who you are apparently fine with allowing to have a gun might not necessarily kill you.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 10:09:54 AM »

Yes, I equate being mentally ill with being psychotic, and if not psychotic, I guess I would need to know exactly how you define mental illness. I appreciate that the Second Amendment is on the books (and agree with how it has been interpreted) but really don't support it. I think having a gun should be a privilege, not a right, and who has them should be strictly a prudential matter.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 06:47:59 AM »

Yes, I equate being mentally ill with being psychotic, and if not psychotic, I guess I would need to know exactly how you define mental illness.

I define it how the medical community does, like a sensible person.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mental-illness/DS01104

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_disorder

If I want to specify that a person is psychotic, I'd say they were psychotic.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 09:38:42 AM »
« Edited: August 27, 2012, 09:40:38 AM by Torie »

OK, you win. I oppose psychotics having guns. If that includes me, I don't give a damn.  I don't own a gun, and don't have any plans to.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 10:23:46 AM »

OK, you win. I oppose psychotics having guns. If that includes me, I don't give a damn.  I don't own a gun, and don't have any plans to.

Amen.  I dont' want a guy mainlining testy with a gun....... Wink
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 08:30:50 PM »

FTR, I would certainly oppose psychotics having guns (separate from the broader gun rights issue, where of course I support many forms of gun control). My point was about lumping all mental health conditions together as a determinant of gun ownership.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies