DNC speakers announced 8/27 UPDATE: Crist will speak
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:21:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  DNC speakers announced 8/27 UPDATE: Crist will speak
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: DNC speakers announced 8/27 UPDATE: Crist will speak  (Read 10904 times)
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2012, 02:08:42 PM »

Where's Brian Schweitzer and Howard Dean?Huh?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2012, 02:16:59 PM »
« Edited: August 22, 2012, 02:19:47 PM by DrScholl »

But why? For being an attractive hispanic?

Because she's put in work for the campaign.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2012, 03:37:43 PM »

Wow...the GOP speakers actually are more exciting than the dems
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2012, 03:42:34 PM »

Lol what Celebs does the GOP have? Yeah thats right none. you find their movies in the $2 bin at Wal-Mart.

Is "10" available again?
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2012, 03:48:08 PM »

Lol what Celebs does the GOP have? Yeah thats right none. you find their movies in the $2 bin at Wal-Mart.

Melissa Joan Hart, who played Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

Yes, I'm such a loser for knowing that.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2012, 04:02:08 PM »

Part of the problem the Democrats have in reaching middle-American voters is that they care too much about "celebs."
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2012, 04:12:08 PM »

Edit: Actually Hillary is missing too, so we know it's not intended to be a full list of female speakers.  Never mind.

Hillary says she won't be attending the convention.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2012, 04:12:17 PM »

Because "calebs" are the true reader of the publics opinion?

cavalcade

Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -3.13

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2012, 05:21:22 PM »

Edit: Actually Hillary is missing too, so we know it's not intended to be a full list of female speakers.  Never mind.

Interesting.  In that case, will the First Lady be speaking?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2012, 07:30:19 PM »

Interesting.  In that case, will the First Lady be speaking?
For that matter, what about the Biden sons?
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2012, 07:36:56 PM »

Acting and politics don't mix well together.  That's one thing celebrities have no common sense in when it comes to middle Americans.  I'll watch the DNC just for fun.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2012, 08:55:10 PM »

Out of these, only two are elected officials. One is 76, and the other is a lesbian. I would have preferred they put on more potential rising stars in electoral politics. What about Amy Klobuchar or Kirsten Gillibrand?
MorningInAmerica
polijunkie3057
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: 0.52

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2012, 10:06:44 PM »
« Edited: August 22, 2012, 10:09:33 PM by MorningInAmerica »

Out of these, only two are elected officials. One is 76, and the other is a lesbian. I would have preferred they put on more potential rising stars in electoral politics. What about Amy Klobuchar or Kirsten Gillibrand?

I also find the DNC line up to be particularly...odd. Where's Deval Patrick, Cory Booker (woops), etc. Bumped by Eva?

Clearly, they're trying to Super-Woman it up, praying to GOD that Todd Akin can save them from their record.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2012, 11:21:34 PM »

Deval Patrick will be speaking. Cory Booker is Co-Chair of the platform committee.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2012, 01:36:03 AM »

I also find the DNC line up to be particularly...odd. Where's Deval Patrick, Cory Booker (woops), etc. Bumped by Eva?

Read the list of speakers in the OP of this thread.  Deval Patrick is listed.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2012, 08:09:26 AM »

Clearly, they're trying to Super-Woman it up, praying to GOD that Todd Akin can save them from their record.

A better question is where is Brian Schweitzer?  At this point he's easily the most charismatic Democratic politician (Obama doesn't give speeches like he used to Sad ) and Schweitzer is usually at his best at events like this.  Also, he is good at appealing to several groups that Obama will likely underperform with.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2012, 09:25:51 PM »

More speakers announced:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/burns-haberman/2012/08/foxx-rybak-malloy-to-speak-in-charlotte-133036.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2012, 09:31:39 PM »

A better question is where is Brian Schweitzer?  At this point he's easily the most charismatic Democratic politician (Obama doesn't give speeches like he used to Sad ) and Schweitzer is usually at his best at events like this.  Also, he is good at appealing to several groups that Obama will likely underperform with.

Doesn't look like he's getting a speaking slot before the full convention, but he will be effectively launching his 2016 presidential campaign:   Wink

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=158046.0
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2012, 09:59:41 PM »

Eva Longoria, Sandra Fluke, and Lily Ledbetter speak, but no Schweitzer or Feingold? It seems like they're trying to stuff in as many women as possible. The unfortunate reality is that most Democratic leaders, and most of the best speakers, are still men.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2012, 11:51:49 PM »

As I said, it's the worst of both worlds. They're reserving a lot of spots for women for being women, but they didn't pick any who could actually have a political career at a higher level. I would rather have Schweitzer and Feingold than Lily Ledbetter, Eva Longoria or Nancy Keenan. But on the other hand, I also would have liked to see some women elected or potential up-and-coming leaders, such as Klobuchar or Gillibrand. The point of these speeches is to introduce lesser known people onto a national stage. That veteran who won the primary in Hawaii has a promising background to- Tulsi Gabbard (?).
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2012, 11:56:53 PM »

Sounds to me like the Democrats aren't really putting a lot of their eggs in the convention basket.  It sounds more like they are prepping for the homestretch.  Probably a wise choice.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2012, 01:07:29 AM »

Why would they want Malloy? He's a right wing twit.
Reginald
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2012, 01:33:09 AM »

Acting and politics don't mix well together.  That's one thing celebrities have no common sense in when it comes to middle Americans.  I'll watch the DNC just for fun.

Really it's just an extension of the conflation of politics and entertainment in this country, something that 'middle Americans' don't appear to mind too much.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2012, 07:58:49 AM »

Doesn't look like he's getting a speaking slot before the full convention, but he will be effectively launching his 2016 presidential campaign:   Wink

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=158046.0

Schweitzer would be great, but he's probably from to small a state.  OTOH, Bill Clinton came from Arkansas.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2012, 08:02:34 AM »

Eva Longoria, Sandra Fluke, and Lily Ledbetter speak, but no Schweitzer or Feingold? It seems like they're trying to stuff in as many women as possible. The unfortunate reality is that most Democratic leaders, and most of the best speakers, are still men.

This.  But they would be better off letting their best speakers have speaking slots.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies