Would you be in favor of a Marxist revolution in Singapore?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:23:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Would you be in favor of a Marxist revolution in Singapore?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Would you be in favor of a Marxist revolution in Singapore?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: Would you be in favor of a Marxist revolution in Singapore?  (Read 5564 times)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2005, 03:21:25 AM »

Stop the Singapore-bashing, already...

Mr. Fay, if I remember correctly, was the American teen who got caned back in '94. If you're still outraged about that...then you don't know much about Singaporean culture.

The teen severely vandalized a Mercedes Benz. Serious damage to the car. Now, here, that may not be such a big deal. But in Singapore, due to shipping costs and various taxes, an average car costs over $100k (US)...so a Mercedes has got to cost nearly $200k. A Mercedes, therefore, is a major status symbol in Singapore...you don't cut off a Mercedes in traffic, let alone vandalize it.

So crimes of such a nature are taken quite seriously in Singapore, and he was given the punishment that the law provides. The fact that he's an American makes no difference...this isn't 19th Century China, there's no extraterritoriality here. If you think four whacks of the cane is too draconian a punishment, well that's your opinion. But it's not torture, it's subsequent punishment. And it's certainly not worth a violent Marxist revolution.

Don't get me wrong, there are serious problems with freedoms in Singapore. But the popular impression that it is a police state is quite simply wrong.

As long as he was over 16, I'd hit him with the cane myself, and i'm talking in a totally non-sexual way.

I mean, you're visiting a foreign country, so if something looks bad back home, why will it be any better overseas?, it was a stupid and illegal-in Singapore and the USA-thing to do and he deserved to be punished.

4 whacks of the cane is nothing. My brother got 10 fro drawing on a poster once Tongue
Jens
Angola

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2005, 09:03:08 AM »

4 whacks of the cane is nothing. My brother got 10 fro drawing on a poster once Tongue

OFF TOPIC: Hugh, Is it still legal to hit your children in Australia?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2005, 12:23:30 PM »

Mr. Fay, if I remember correctly, was the American teen who got caned back in '94.  If you're still outraged about that...then you don't know much about Singaporean culture.

The teen severely vandalized a Mercedes Benz.  Serious damage to the car.  Now, here, that may not be such a big deal.  But in Singapore, due to shipping costs and various taxes, an average car costs over $100k (US)...so a Mercedes has got to cost nearly $200k.  A Mercedes, therefore, is a major status symbol in Singapore...you don't cut off a Mercedes in traffic, let alone vandalize it.

So crimes of such a nature are taken quite seriously in Singapore, and he was given the punishment that the law provides.  The fact that he's an American makes no difference...this isn't 19th Century China, there's no extraterritoriality here.  If you think four whacks of the cane is too draconian a punishment, well that's your opinion.  But it's not torture, it's subsequent punishment.  And it's certainly not worth a violent Marxist revolution.

do we cane people who vandalize $200k items here?

no. it's not acceptable. Singapore's government is pure evil and should be destroyed. Period.
Tory

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2005, 03:11:22 PM »
« Edited: January 26, 2005, 03:13:23 PM by Tory »

Singapore is already Marxist. 86% of the population lives in public housing, and govt controlled businesses dominate the economy. Throw in the repression of political and presonal freedoms and it's a left-wing paradise.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2005, 07:09:29 PM »

Mr. Fay, if I remember correctly, was the American teen who got caned back in '94.  If you're still outraged about that...then you don't know much about Singaporean culture.

The teen severely vandalized a Mercedes Benz.  Serious damage to the car.  Now, here, that may not be such a big deal.  But in Singapore, due to shipping costs and various taxes, an average car costs over $100k (US)...so a Mercedes has got to cost nearly $200k.  A Mercedes, therefore, is a major status symbol in Singapore...you don't cut off a Mercedes in traffic, let alone vandalize it.

So crimes of such a nature are taken quite seriously in Singapore, and he was given the punishment that the law provides.  The fact that he's an American makes no difference...this isn't 19th Century China, there's no extraterritoriality here.  If you think four whacks of the cane is too draconian a punishment, well that's your opinion.  But it's not torture, it's subsequent punishment.  And it's certainly not worth a violent Marxist revolution.

do we cane people who vandalize $200k items here?

no. it's not acceptable. Singapore's government is pure evil and should be destroyed. Period.

Since Hussein imposed far worse penalties, you agree his government had to be destroyed?
Tory

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2005, 07:32:03 PM »

Quip of the century!
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2005, 10:17:54 PM »

Yes it should've been destroyed. I would've been in favor of a rebellion or coup within Iraq. Wasting American resources to do so on a government that while oppressive was no threat to us and having such a huge mess on our hands now is not what I was in favor of. I'm not advocating the US invade Singapore.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2005, 11:48:20 PM »

Singapore is already Marxist. 86% of the population lives in public housing, and govt controlled businesses dominate the economy. Throw in the repression of political and presonal freedoms and it's a left-wing paradise.
Since when do marxist regimes refund taxes and start state-sponsored dating cruises at the same time?
Tory

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2005, 06:49:12 AM »

Since when do marxist regimes refund taxes and start state-sponsored dating cruises at the same time?

How are those two things opposed to marxism? The government owns nearly all housing and the great majority of industry, that's marxist. The Chinese government has used them as thier model for the future.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2005, 07:01:17 AM »

Well, the public housing bit (and the dating cruises bit) have a much more fascist than communist bent.

Public housing:  put everyone in public housing and make all other housing unaffordable so that everyone becomes dependent on the government (or, more specifically, the PAP).  If your district votes against the government/PAP, the funding for public housing in that district goes bye-bye.

Dating Cruises:  No different than Mussolini's incentives to go forth and multiply.  Get some more young Singaporean blood out there to defend ourselves from Malaysian/Indonesian Aggression (they still have the draft, after all).
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2005, 12:27:05 AM »

My best friend was born in Singapore, although his family migrated to New Zealand when he was one and onto Autralia when he was 8. He recently went with his family to Brunei, where his father now works, and where his mother and siblings will be living after the end of this year (he'll be staying in Australia for university, which starts next year for us). Because of the compulsory military service, he had to go through Kuala Lumpur on the way and on the way back he had to stay on bopard for the four hour stopover-thanks od it was QANTAS and not Singapore airlines, or he would have had to get off, and be conscripted.

Singapore, if you're Singaporean (even if only by birth), sucks. But for westerners, it's fine. Sure there are a few restrictions on some things, but it isn't a hellhole.

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2005, 11:22:26 AM »

My best friend was born in Singapore, although his family migrated to New Zealand when he was one and onto Autralia when he was 8. He recently went with his family to Brunei, where his father now works, and where his mother and siblings will be living after the end of this year (he'll be staying in Australia for university, which starts next year for us). Because of the compulsory military service, he had to go through Kuala Lumpur on the way and on the way back he had to stay on bopard for the four hour stopover-thanks od it was QANTAS and not Singapore airlines, or he would have had to get off, and be conscripted.

Singapore, if you're Singaporean (even if only by birth), sucks. But for westerners, it's fine. Sure there are a few restrictions on some things, but it isn't a hellhole.

In Singapore you'd be serving life in prison: http://sodomylaws.org/world/singapore/singapore.htm
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2005, 08:12:16 PM »

No I wouldn't, as I'm an Australian, as long as I wasn't with a Singaporean, they'd turn a blind eye. Plus anyway, I've never actually committed sodomy.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies