Polls of the Obama Romney race - in foreign countries
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:52:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Polls of the Obama Romney race - in foreign countries
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Polls of the Obama Romney race - in foreign countries  (Read 3132 times)
Tidus
Rookie
Germany
Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -1.00

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 23, 2012, 05:06:14 AM »

Wonder if there are similar polls in other countries, but the well-known german polling institute 'Forsa' surveyd what would happen if the Obama-Romney race would take place in Germany.
Maybe everyone who knows such polls from foreign countries can post it here...

And these are the 'Forsa' numbers:

Obama: 86 %

Romney: 5 %

Obama leads among all political ideologies and the members of all the important parties - even among self-identified german conservatives (that probably means members of Angela Merkels CDU).

However, there were some more questions asked:

Who do you think will be better for solving the problems in the United States?

Obama: 72 %

Romney: 5 %

None: 13 %

Who do you think is really going to win on november 6th ?

Obama: 80 %

Romney: 13 %

Sources:

'Forsa' togehther with the german TV network 'n-tv'.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 12:57:23 PM »

The numbers here are similar to those in Germany, maybe Romney gets a slightly higher percentage: 8% or so, with Obama at 80% and the rest undecided.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 01:12:21 PM »

This is AMURICA we don't care bout dem commie nazi German Oh-bam-uh supporters!

in all seriousness I couldn't care less about this
Link
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 01:38:40 PM »

We know.  That's the problem.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 03:52:11 PM »

Romney's done a lot to create Chinese jobs. He should be ahead there.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 04:30:16 PM »

For comparison (assuming we get some results), here is a Gallup summary of 2008 preference by country.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 07:21:08 PM »

Romney's done a lot to create Chinese jobs. He should be ahead there.

I have no objections to Romney's candidacy for President of the People's Republic of China.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 07:52:24 PM »

We know.  That's the problem.

We should totally take into account who other countries want to be our President! I doubt most Obama supporters care.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 11:35:36 PM »

Fortunately, it's Americans voting for President, not those in foreign countries.

They may not care too much for Mitt, but those who count in this election will flock to the polls in November and elect Mitt President to save the nation from economic disaster.

So who really cares what others think?

Besides, when they get to know him they will learn to love him.

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 11:39:15 PM »

When they got to know him the word 'Romneyshambles' entered British English, Winfield.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 12:21:22 AM »

Some day, Winfield will deliver a eulogy like this for Mitt Romney:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9eT0-s1CXU
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 03:29:22 AM »

Will Mitt Romney be a great president or will he even be the greatest president?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 03:59:03 AM »

Similar to the Republican Party? I think emphasis on this is key.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 04:22:19 AM »

Or what? He'll bomb them?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 04:36:05 AM »

This was my second thought, but I wanted to keep the short/snarky ratio as tight as possible.
Tidus
Rookie
Germany
Political Matrix

P
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2012, 05:02:36 AM »

Sure - only americans are going to vote in this election. And yes, that´s just fine with me. That´s the way it should be.

But my point was different:

Sometimes it´s interesting to get an outside view. I think there were similar polls and a similar coverage in America - for example just a few months ago, in the french presidential race...  Who will be elected french president? What does this mean for other countries? Whom would you vote for? And so on...

So, no this doesn´t mean anything for the possible outcome in America - but it gives an interesting view from the outside.

And I´m sorry, but I would add that Germans already know a lot about Romney himself, Obama himself and the two political parties... coverage in Germany is very good. And I really, really doubt that Germans would ever 'LOVE' Mitt Romey... and I´m really trying to be objective here...

And another addition:

Many americans have german, polish or british roots... that was an argument from the --> Romney camp <-- for doing the overseas trip to Britain and Poland. He went to Poland because he wanted to appeal to Americans with polish roots - and so on... (at least I read something like this in multiple articles)... so if he wants to convince Americans with polish or german or whatever roots by saying 'I'm your guy - and I know what german or polish or british people (or just Americans with those roots) expect from my policies' then it really would be interesting to get some of those polls...

Cause if he wants to strengthen his appeal with these groups (and thinks he would be a perfect fit to them) by saying 'The countries where your grandfathers were born think I would be a good president' or something alike, then it would be interesting to see if those statements are correct or not.

And the poll above shows that he is not very popular among native Germans - but I´m an open-minded person - I´d like to see some more polls form other countries (Germany, Poland, maybe Italy, maybe Ireland... whatever comes to your mind)... and that´s the reason for this discussion...

Also the difference (if there is any kind of differnece) between Americas allies (countries that definitly don´t want America to fail - because of cultural similarities, identical values, democratic tradition or just economical addiction) and Americas competitors (China, maybe Russia) would be interesting. And YES... I would call countries like Germany, Poland, Britain, Australia, Japan,... to americas allies...

So if you think I´m wrong and most of these arguments are rubbish please tell... show me your arguments... BUT PLEASE DON´T GET PERSONAL HERE... (again)... (this refers to the post of '20RP12').

At least we found out that Germany would not be a swing state. And yes - I agree: That won´t have much influence on the AMERICAN outcome. But some may find it interesting - others don´t need to read and answer these posts...

Dumbo
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 02:40:20 PM »

These german or french people should go by plane to the USA, live and work
there for a month or two, then polled again - the result would be not much
different from the polls in the USA, so these outside polls don't make
any sense. If the germans would decide the elections in the USA Jimmy
Carter never had became president, they voted in a poll 90 % or so for Pres. Ford
and Bill Clinton never had became president.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 02:46:52 PM »

Fortunately, it's Americans voting for President, not those in foreign countries.

They may not care too much for Mitt, but those who count in this election will flock to the polls in November and elect Mitt President to save the nation from economic disaster.

Well if - God forbid - he's elected and I'm impressed that would be a FIRST for a Republican post-1981. I was only ever going to play a low expectations game with President Obama so I'm not that disappointed given the hand he was dealt Sad

I know why U1 is as high as it is. Its because austerity measures - the loss of public sector jobs - have had a detrimental impact on the US labour market and, worse still, at a time when demand for private sector goods and services remain pretty weak

Funny how congressional Republicans are insisting it must be a private sector led recovery because its not the standard to which they applied to their own miserable failure, during the first term of whom, saw the paltry net gain in jobs come from the public sector

Nevertheless workers Smiley are workers Smiley - and certainly more empowered consumers of private sector goods and services relative to the unemployed (aye, its hell being out of work this side of the Pond, too, given the pittance we call Job Seekers Allowance; in fact, beyond six months you get nowt if you've savings of more than 16k or a partner earning >7k). Underemployment seems to be becoming a big problem in the UK. Part-time employment is all very well for those who only need (i.e. can afford) to be working part-time. My mother worked part-time through the 1970s Smiley because my father had a well-paid job but she only needed to go full-time in the mid-1980s Sad because my father had a less well paid job
Tidus
Rookie
Germany
Political Matrix

P
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2012, 02:54:15 PM »

These german or french people should go by plane to the USA, live and work
there for a month or two, then polled again - the result would be not much
different from the polls in the USA, so these outside polls don't make
any sense.

So that means, if US citizens would go by plane to Germany, Great Britain, Japan, Australia or somewhere else and work THERE for two months - and then return to the US - they would be willing to vote for Obama by a similar margin (that means between 80 and 90 % of Democrats AND Republicans)... please consider - this is the same logic, just the other way around.

So, in the end I think also Germans living in the US would vote by the same margin for Obama... and two months would really change nothing... to change something in their voting behaviour it would probably take 10 or 20 years in the US... or more likly a whole generation or even two of them...
Dumbo
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2012, 04:02:18 PM »

So, in the end I think also Germans living in the US would vote by the same margin for Obama... and two months would really change nothing... to change something in their voting behaviour it would probably take 10 or 20 years in the US... or more likly a whole generation or even two of them...

This depends on the region, I am sure a german seeking work in California
(unemployment rate = 10.7 %) will change his view of Obama and the
Democratic Party in general in weeks, others seeking and finding work in
states like Virginia (5.9) or Vermont (5.0) would vote for Obama if they were
eligible to vote.

Tidus
Rookie
Germany
Political Matrix

P
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2012, 04:41:11 PM »

This depends on the region, I am sure a german seeking work in California
(unemployment rate = 10.7 %) will change his view of Obama and the
Democratic Party in general in weeks

I´m not quite sure about that. I mean Germans also re-elected Schröder in 2002 when the unemployment rate in Germany was at its highest level (I think it also was around 11 to 12 %). And they did not elect his opponent Stoiber who also ran his campaig on economy and economic groth. Thus, I think Germans in general vote because of social reasons, or maybe because of moral values or things like that - but not because of the economy. And this leads me to believe that most Germans for example if they went to CA would vote for the democrats - and not just one time...
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2012, 11:49:44 AM »

Obama leads Romney by more than 14:1 in Australia:

72-5 Obama

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politics/australians-deluded-on-meaning-of-us-election-20120827-24wia.html
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies