Romney makes Birther joke
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:49:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney makes Birther joke
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Romney makes Birther joke  (Read 5573 times)
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2012, 06:34:40 PM »

Both sides are guilty of these off the cuff remarks. Romney made a mistake, it's done, it's over with, let's get back to real game.

Look this birther thing is racist.  It's 2012.  Neither I nor any other decent person feel any obligation to just sweep this under the rug.  This is not just some "off the cuff remark."  This birther crap is a well worn routine that has been going on for months and been condemned.  After shooting his mouth off over seas and pissing off allies and being called a racist by Palestinians you would think this guy would learn.

In a lot of ways this race was Romney's to lose.  A lot of us from the political left had no great fear or animosity towards the guy.  We may have not liked some of the policies he put forth but we were reasonably comfortable that we were not going to have a Bush, Palin, Bachmann, Cain, Perry, etc on our hands.  I just didn't think once the nomination fight was over and it was approaching September we would be dealing with this racist birther crap from Romney.  To be honest with you we didn't see this garbage from Bush.
Romney to lose means more people being unemployed and another 4 years of stagnation, high unemployment and the country going on a downfall.
Link
« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2012, 06:38:44 PM »

Both sides are guilty of these off the cuff remarks. Romney made a mistake, it's done, it's over with, let's get back to real game.

Look this birther thing is racist.  It's 2012.  Neither I nor any other decent person feel any obligation to just sweep this under the rug.  This is not just some "off the cuff remark."  This birther crap is a well worn routine that has been going on for months and been condemned.  After shooting his mouth off over seas and pissing off allies and being called a racist by Palestinians you would think this guy would learn.

In a lot of ways this race was Romney's to lose.  A lot of us from the political left had no great fear or animosity towards the guy.  We may have not liked some of the policies he put forth but we were reasonably comfortable that we were not going to have a Bush, Palin, Bachmann, Cain, Perry, etc on our hands.  I just didn't think once the nomination fight was over and it was approaching September we would be dealing with this racist birther crap from Romney.  To be honest with you we didn't see this garbage from Bush.
Romney to lose means more people being unemployed and another 4 years of stagnation, high unemployment and the country going on a downfall.

No.  My point was Romney unlike a lot of prominent Republicans stayed away from the racism, sexism, gay bashing, and war mongering.  In other words it was actually possible to have a reasonable conversation with the guy, but he decided to crawl down into the ditch with the rest of the rabble.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2012, 06:44:43 PM »

No worries, shua.  I don't believe Romney is a birther at all, or even anything remotely in the universe of one.  So, maybe that's why I was taken aback by the comment he made today--I didn't expect it, and was just left feeling like, "wow, what is that?"  But, then again, if I revert back to a more humble parody of myself, I've unintentionally flubbed jokes badly too, so I'm probably a bad one to point fingers.

I think it's perfectly understandable for people not to want Obama to be president anymore.  He has let some very important opportunities go by that have disappointed me too.  But, you know, I've actually spoken with him directly through more than one correspondence, I think he is, on a human level, a really decent fellow, and, not to jump up and down or anything, but I was really proud four years ago to have played even the most insignificant parts in helping to get the country's first African-American president elected.  So, I have a visceral reaction to birher stuff, it really makes me sick.  So, if my initial reaction seemed like an overreaction, that's basically why.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2012, 06:47:42 PM »

Half the people posting on this thread need to eat razorblades.
Link
« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2012, 06:48:59 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Link.

So there you go Romney apologists.  Apparently you were wrong.  It wasn't a joke about President Obama's birth certificate.  It wasn't even about the president!

I can't wait until the campaign is over.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #80 on: August 24, 2012, 06:50:33 PM »

That's a joke, by the way. Where's your sense of humour, etc, etc, etc.
JFK-Democrat
Rookie
United States

« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2012, 07:08:26 PM »

This was not a joke...this came from Romney's gut...maybe a Freudian slip but not a gaffe.

I think we got a mini peak into the soul of Mitt Romney, not a pretty picture. Kinda sad for a guy with a couple Harvard degrees and who's dad was generally a stand up guy.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #82 on: August 24, 2012, 07:17:28 PM »

This was not a joke...this came from Romney's gut...maybe a Freudian slip but not a gaffe.

I think we got a mini peak into the soul of Mitt Romney, not a pretty picture. Kinda sad for a guy with a couple Harvard degrees and who's dad was generally a stand up guy.

He is not a closeted birther deep down in his soul. Roll Eyes He is just a guy who is clueless as to how to connect with people and makes a lot of stupid gaffes when trying to be funny. Same thing with his illegals comment, and a bunch of other things.
milhouse24
« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2012, 07:24:15 PM »

Liberals need to bring up the Birth issue more!

It distracts voters from important issues like the economy and universal health care. 

To be honest, at this point, Obama's birther issue is a losing issue for Obama.  It needlessly reminds swing voters that Obama lacks patriotism or nationalism, and thinks of America and Americans second to the UN. 

In 2008, Obama spending his childhood in Kenya and Indonesia was seen as an asset to improving International relations and promoting support in Iraq and Afghanistan. 

Now, the international Birther background places Obama as a President who ignores the problems of everyday Americans.  So keep talking about the Birther issue because it calls into question Obama's patriotism.  It will sink Obama faster than speaking French sunk Kerry.
Link
« Reply #84 on: August 24, 2012, 07:25:46 PM »

You misunderstood the thread.  ROMNEY told the racist birther joke in front of a crowd of people on live TV.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #85 on: August 24, 2012, 07:28:20 PM »

Romney is not a birther but this was a pander to the birther crowd.  I have seen this movie before -- Reagan campaigning against "welfare queens," Bush I running Willie Horton ads against Michael Dukakis, Palin talking about the rural "pro-America" parts of the country.  It's very clear who the target audience is for all this.
Link
« Reply #86 on: August 24, 2012, 07:29:50 PM »

Not sure about that.  I think it's more he's gotten so used to "appealing to the base" he just slipped and ad libbed part of that routine.  He hasn't shifted gears yet and Etch A Sketched for the general.  Someone in his campaign needs to program in the hard left back to the center... or right of center.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #87 on: August 24, 2012, 07:43:16 PM »

To drive home the message that while Barack Obama was technically not born a hateable furriner, he might as well be for all that the Republican electorate, and thus Romney, cares. "Nobody doubts my Americanness - I'm a clean whitebread Protestant Ur-American! (Apart from actually being a Mexican Mormon, of course.) Now Mr Obama, on the other hand... he's a Black, you see, and a Black Exotic at that. He's so Unamerican we needed to see his birth certificate."

^You must be another one of those secret Muslims.  The Muslim Brotherhood will be running things in no time....

Seriously though it is quite scary how many think Obama is some sort of Manchurian candidate or something.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #88 on: August 24, 2012, 08:31:13 PM »

It distracts voters from important issues like the economy and universal health care. 

To be honest, at this point, Obama's birther issue is a losing issue for Obama.  It needlessly reminds swing voters that Obama lacks patriotism or nationalism, and thinks of America and Americans second to the UN. 

In 2008, Obama spending his childhood in Kenya and Indonesia was seen as an asset to improving International relations and promoting support in Iraq and Afghanistan. 

Now, the international Birther background places Obama as a President who ignores the problems of everyday Americans.  So keep talking about the Birther issue because it calls into question Obama's patriotism.  It will sink Obama faster than speaking French sunk Kerry.

"Obama lacks patriotism" what the hell, where do you come up with this crap
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2012, 09:06:05 PM »

then you should eat the courage pill and enumerate which half should and which half shouldn't.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #90 on: August 24, 2012, 09:07:08 PM »

That's a joke, by the way. Where's your sense of humour, etc, etc, etc.

this is not exculpatory. 
milhouse24
« Reply #91 on: August 24, 2012, 09:51:09 PM »

You misunderstood the thread.  ROMNEY told the racist birther joke in front of a crowd of people on live TV.

The more Liberals complain about the Birthers and call Tea Party members racist, the more it emboldens their cause.  I know Obama is trying to rally the Liberal activists against these white racists but Liberals think the birthers are a bad joke. 

Besides, wasting time talking about the Birther issue takes time away from talking about the economy, jobs, and healthcare.  So the more Liberals complain about Birthers, the more likelihood that they think Obama is busy worrying about his birth certificate than failing to fix the country. 
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #92 on: August 24, 2012, 09:59:00 PM »

You misunderstood the thread.  ROMNEY told the racist birther joke in front of a crowd of people on live TV.

The more Liberals complain about the Birthers and call Tea Party members racist, the more it emboldens their cause.  I know Obama is trying to rally the Liberal activists against these white racists but Liberals think the birthers are a bad joke.  

Besides, wasting time talking about the Birther issue takes time away from talking about the economy, jobs, and healthcare.  So the more Liberals complain about Birthers, the more likelihood that they think Obama is busy worrying about his birth certificate than failing to fix the country.  
Liberals speak for themselves when it comes to Conservatives being racist.  In my opinion, Liberals make hyperbole issues about race topics since they're so concerned about specific ethnicities to vote for their BS ideas.  They're not to unite people, their goal is to divide people into groups which is class warefare and quite a few people have grown tired of it.
milhouse24
« Reply #93 on: August 24, 2012, 11:42:25 PM »

I think the Obama campaign and Liberals are worried about the Birther issue, otherwise they and the liberal media won't make such a big deal every time a Tea Partier brings it up. 

The average voters thinks its a bad joke, but the more Obama fights back about it and spends time creating ads about Birthers, the more regular people are going to think its a big deal, and that maybe Obama is fighting back so hard is because he's afraid of something. 

I don't see how the Birther issue is going to make someone "stay for Obama" or "switch to Obama" 

Its more annoying to hear Liberals constantly complain about Birthers.
The better option is to just ignore the conspiracy theorists and talk about the other issues.  But Liberals have no other issues to talk about other than how "Racist white folks are" because they hate the black president because he's born in Kenya.  Its just stupid is as stupid does, and Liberals are just buying into the stupidity. 

If a Liberal is going to vote for Obama because Romney made a "birth certificate joke" then that liberal might need to re-think his or her priorities. 

Obama made a gaffe (his true feelings) when he said "You didn't build your business, government did" and it showed how little Obama thinks about private enterprise and capitalism in America.  It shows that he secretly and inheritently views corporations as evil and undeserving of their success. 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #94 on: August 24, 2012, 11:48:12 PM »
« Edited: August 24, 2012, 11:50:30 PM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

Romneybot thought this was a joke?

Anyways, McCain was retroactively given citizenship when he was 11 months old, so the birthers really barked up the wrong tree.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #95 on: August 25, 2012, 01:04:04 AM »

Obama made a gaffe (his true feelings) when he said "You didn't build your business, government did" and it showed how little Obama thinks about private enterprise and capitalism in America.  It shows that he secretly and inheritently views corporations as evil and undeserving of their success. 

That's not even the quote taken out of context, that's literally not the quote:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2012/jul/18/context-obamas-you-didnt-build-comment/
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #96 on: August 25, 2012, 10:02:13 AM »

It's probably time to start infracting for intentional distortions of the "you didn't build that" quote, since it's very well established that the antecedent of "that" isn't "your business."  Anyone who tries to imply that it is the antecedent is just intentionally trolling.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #97 on: August 25, 2012, 10:17:04 AM »

It's probably time to start infracting for intentional distortions of the "you didn't build that" quote, since it's very well established that the antecedent of "that" isn't "your business."  Anyone who tries to imply that it is the antecedent is just intentionally trolling.
and the antecedent is ?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #98 on: August 25, 2012, 10:28:11 AM »

and the antecedent is ?

Seriously?

"Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build [those roads and bridges / general infrastructure from that great American system]"
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #99 on: August 25, 2012, 10:31:17 AM »

and the antecedent is ?

Seriously?

"Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build [those roads and bridges / general infrastructure from that great American system]"

And there's no way at all it could possible be "Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you've got a business -- you didn't build [that business]"? It's impossible and in fact trolling to say that?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies