do ya'll realize the US was an apartheid country prior to ~1970?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:42:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  do ya'll realize the US was an apartheid country prior to ~1970?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: do ya'll realize the US was an apartheid country prior to ~1970?  (Read 1991 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 24, 2012, 03:45:33 PM »

just making sure?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 03:50:53 PM »

Absolutely.  Reminds us of LBJ's achievement.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 03:55:39 PM »

be careful, it wasn't the achievement of one white man in a powerful position, but that of millions of the nameless that risked their lives to make something so.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 03:56:56 PM »

be careful, it wasn't the achievement of one white man in a powerful position, but that of millions of the nameless that risked their lives to make something so.

Not sure that's how it works, but yes, it wasn't one person, of course.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 03:57:47 PM »

a) Before 1965 (by 1970 it was over), and only in the South. (Certainly there was cultural racism against blacks in the North, but I don't believe there was legally sanctioned racism like the South or South Africa.)

b) Yes, I do realize, parts of the US had very racist laws prior to the 1960s. So what?

Absolutely.  Reminds us of LBJ's achievement.

People risked their lives to participate in protests (sort of), but ultimately, yes, LBJ and Congress were the ones who succeeded in passing the civil rights legislation, not 'millions of the nameless'.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 05:51:50 PM »

a) Before 1965 (by 1970 it was over)

Old habits take quite some time to disappear. I highly doubt that segregation immediately and universally ended right at the moment Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 05:55:03 PM »

Segregation is still around in some parts of the South. It just isn't law.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 06:52:53 PM »

Old habits take quite some time to disappear. I highly doubt that segregation immediately and universally ended right at the moment Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act.

It did legally. If you're speaking culturally, everybody is an apartheid country to some extent; xenophobia, unfortunately, is a pretty universal reaction. That said, 1970 I suppose is as good a place to start as any other; it was the last year a major-party Southern candidate ran an explicitly racist campaign (Albert Watson, Republican candidate from South Carolina), and he lost. By 1970 segregation was pretty clearly a lost cause.

Then it's not around. Also your signature is stupid as f**k.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 07:22:23 PM »

Also your signature is stupid as f**k.

...Really, Vosem? My distaste for you has risen.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 07:25:21 PM »
« Edited: August 24, 2012, 07:58:58 PM by Nathan »

You weren't familiar with Vosem's views on this? There's a particular kind of American exceptionalism that submits that Americans flat-out need not have to care for one another as much as people in other countries with comparable standards of living.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 07:31:43 PM »

I don't think the US had residential segregation of the rigid type that apartheid suggests. To the extent it did - and does - have residential segregation, my understanding is it was actually more pronounced in the 1970s than it had been in the 1950s, and as much in the North as in the South.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 07:53:33 PM »

Re-segregation is all the rage in many, many urban areas today.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 08:59:01 PM »

You're right, that was uncool. I apologize, Comrade Funk; I just don't believe that Congressmen would be any more likely to pass a nationwide healthcare law if their own free healthcare was removed, and (especially considering most Congressmen aren't exactly poor) it seems like a very odd point to make. Obviously Congressmen don't deserve free healthcare any more than the average person would.

You weren't familiar with Vosem's views on this? There's a particular kind of American exceptionalism that submits that Americans flat-out need not have to care for one another as much as people in other countries with comparable standards of living.

I've already explained why I think my views on healthcare leave people better off, and I don't think this is the right thread to repeat them.

I don't think the US had residential segregation of the rigid type that apartheid suggests. To the extent it did - and does - have residential segregation, my understanding is it was actually more pronounced in the 1970s than it had been in the 1950s, and as much in the North as in the South.

Yes, what with 'white flight' residential segregation grew more pronounced, but that's not apartheid; it's like saying Slovakia is apartheid because Hungarians live only along the Danube and the Slovakians live everywhere else. The government really did become impartial.

Re-segregation is all the rage in many, many urban areas today.

What?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 09:01:04 PM »

Vosem, Cleveland is basically still segregated. The vast majority of the black people live in areas that are overwhelmingly black and most of the white people live in areas that are overwhelmingly white. You may not notice in Westlake, but take a trip over to the east side sometime, it's definitely true.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 09:10:04 PM »

Vosem, Cleveland is basically still segregated. The vast majority of the black people live in areas that are overwhelmingly black and most of the white people live in areas that are overwhelmingly white. You may not notice in Westlake, but take a trip over to the east side sometime, it's definitely true.

I understand that cities are basically segregated -- I used to live in New York City, and even in Westlake you live close enough in Cleveland that you'd be blind not to notice. (Actually, living anywhere in the US you'd have to be blind not to notice.) But my point is that that doesn't constitute the same sort of systemic oppression, segregation, and denial of rights that occurred under apartheid. Residential segregation is common but it's not like black people aren't allowed to buy certain goods white people can.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2012, 09:18:24 PM »

"you don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about."  - Good Will Hunting
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 09:20:27 PM »

"you don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about."  - Good Will Hunting

Coming from you, that made me laugh Smiley
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 09:21:09 PM »

the most overused of all epithetical phrases --
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2012, 11:17:01 PM »

My all time favorite post:

Oh great another Republican Philadelphian has entered!  Where from?  Let me guess.. the Northeast. 

Try Broad and Erie.

As for rude, I'm from North Philly.  :-)  All of my posts are heavily censored.

Broad and Erie??? A Republican?? I never thought I'd be seeing that day come.  I think Al Sharpton would beat Bush handily in the precincts surrounding that area.

I've lived in North Philly for 13 years.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2012, 02:41:52 AM »

As horrible as racism in the 50's/60's was, it wasn't comparable to apartheid. I would not casually toss words around in order to set up simplistic equivalences. Calling 1960's America (or for that matter, modern Israel) apartheid smacks to me of ignorance of simply how incredibly awful apartheid was. There is a very good reason that of all the racist regimes in the world (and there were many) at the time, only South Africa (and I suppose Rhodesia too, but nobody cares about Rhodesia anymore) became an international pariah.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2012, 06:29:17 AM »

As horrible as racism in the 50's/60's was, it wasn't comparable to apartheid. I would not casually toss words around in order to set up simplistic equivalences. Calling 1960's America (or for that matter, modern Israel) apartheid smacks to me of ignorance of simply how incredibly awful apartheid was. There is a very good reason that of all the racist regimes in the world (and there were many) at the time, only South Africa (and I suppose Rhodesia too, but nobody cares about Rhodesia anymore) became an international pariah.

No.

Of course Apartheid was quite different from the US south - but that was partly due to demographics rather than 'stronger racist sentiment'.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2012, 10:47:24 AM »

It did legally. If you're speaking culturally, everybody is an apartheid country to some extent; xenophobia, unfortunately, is a pretty universal reaction. That said, 1970 I suppose is as good a place to start as any other; it was the last year a major-party Southern candidate ran an explicitly racist campaign (Albert Watson, Republican candidate from South Carolina), and he lost. By 1970 segregation was pretty clearly a lost cause.

lol such an Atlas post
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2012, 10:54:15 AM »

lol such an Atlas post

I apologized for that. I would delete it, but I don't like deleting posts, it makes me feel dishonest.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2012, 11:13:34 AM »

Oh, I was aware of his views. That's why I dislike(d) him in the first place. I just didn't think he needed to bring it up.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2012, 11:39:47 AM »

No.

Of course Apartheid was quite different from the US south - but that was partly due to demographics rather than 'stronger racist sentiment'.

It's not an issue of racial sentiment. It's an issue of the actual racist measures enforced by the society and government. And on that measure, the South quite frankly does not compare to Apartheid SA. There's a reason the South was challenged by a non-violent civil rights movement, while SA was challenged by a largely violent insurrectionist/terroristic movement. Call Jim Crow what it was. And call Apartheid what it was. As something mentioned, it's one of the most overused epithets in political discourse and it's almost never appropriate. Like Godwin's Law-lite.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies