2012 ballot measures
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:50:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2012 ballot measures
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: 2012 ballot measures  (Read 10753 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 11, 2012, 09:49:09 AM »

In the case of Asians, I'll bet they viewed Prop 30 as a pro-education measure. They probably saw it as a good investment and didn't want to see the entire education system in the state of California collapse. I could be wrong, but that seems like the simplest explanation to me. I just don't think steep education cuts appealed to Asians in particular, even if it meant paying a little more in taxes.

Yeah, that is a very good point. I am looking forward to the city results and hopefully some precinct maps. I voted no, but only because I wanted some substantial change on pensions before we raise taxes. But there was a very good chance if this failed, funding to schools and universities would be cut while nothing would happen to pensions. It's infuriating.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2012, 03:48:15 AM »
« Edited: November 12, 2012, 03:54:38 AM by Dying Thoughts of a Martyr »

I think I've found what might be the worst precinct for the marriage amendment in the state, and it's not in the Twin Cities:

NORTHFIELD W-1 P-1

Yes     55
 No     1081
 Estimated Blanks     18
 Estimated Total Number of Voters     1154
Estimated Percent of YES*     4.77%

Carleton College, where Paul Wellstone used to teach. Not that surprising. 87.6 Obama/8.3 Romney by the way.

The likely second worst though is in St. Paul:

ST. PAUL W-3 P-07

Yes     101
 No     1347
 Estimated Blanks     18
 Estimated Total Number of Voters     1466
Estimated Percent of YES*     6.89%

Macalester College.

Minneapolis' worst precinct for it (and likely third worst in the state) is not a university:

MINNEAPOLIS W-10 P-01

Yes     149
 No     1818
 Estimated Blanks     16
 Estimated Total Number of Voters     1983
Estimated Percent of YES*     7.51%

An area in the Lowry Hill East neighborhood near the heart of hipsterdom but not quite in it, meaning it can have big houses and reasonably affluent (and of course well educated) people who still are close to enough their organic food co-ops, coffee shops and indie movie theaters. And not many minorities.

Augsburg College, a Christian university that started exclusively as a Lutheran seminary was actually the strongest college precinct in Minneapolis for the "No" vote with 87.78% No/blank, the University of Minnesota and nearby student neighborhoods averaged around 83-84% No.

The worst legislative district for the marriage amendment was 61A, which of course contains Minneapolis W-10 P-01, and is a bunch of affluent neighborhoods around the lakes in the southwest that sits near the hipster paradise in Uptown, it was almost 88% No/blank and still voted "only" about 78% for Obama. My own 62A had a fairly embarrassing 28.48% "Yes" vote since it ran strong in some minority neighborhoods here, for example it broke 57% in Minneapolis W-06 P-05, an area that is basically nothing but almost exclusively Somali-populated public housing projects where Obama still broke 90%. At least my precinct was over 88% No/blank and better than all of 61A. Smiley
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2012, 11:28:36 PM »

Minnesota by CD:

Yes % (from pro-gay to anti-gay):

MN-5: 28.55%
MN-4: 38.19%
MN-3: 43.32%
MN-2: 45.95%
MN-6: 53.40%
MN-8: 54.42%
MN-1: 54.92%
MN-7: 63.53%

Michele Bachmann really is out of touch with her district.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2012, 11:47:41 PM »

Comparing gay marriage measures with presidential vote...

ME - Obama, anti-gay.: all anti-gay counties exc. Piscataquis
ME - Romney, pro-gay: none

MD - Obama, anti-gay.: Charles
MD - Romney, pro-gay: Anne Arundel, Frederick

MN - Obama, anti-gay.: Beltrami, Carlton, Chippewa, Clay, Fillmore, Freeborn, Houston, Itasca, Kittson, Koochiching, Lac Qui Parle, Lake, Mahnomen, Mower, Norman, Swift, Traverse
MN - Romney, pro-gay: Scott

WA - Obama, anti-gay.: Clallam, Clark, Cowlitz, Grays Harbor, Mason, Pacific, Pierce
WA - Romney, pro-gay.: Whitman
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #79 on: November 20, 2012, 06:02:34 PM »

One note on the MD gay marriage vote: The day after the election the margin was about 93,000. It's now up to 127,000.

I have no idea what to make of this. But I found it interesting. Glad it didn't go the other way.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies