NE2: Capital Act of 2012
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:54:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE2: Capital Act of 2012
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NE2: Capital Act of 2012  (Read 1061 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 25, 2012, 02:58:05 PM »
« edited: August 25, 2012, 03:02:05 PM by Northeast Speaker Alfred F. Jones »

A BILL

To promote the interests of the Northeast Region through the development of a new capital section in the city of Buffalo, New York.

SECTION 1. TITLE

This legislation may be cited as the ‘Capital Act of 2012.’

SECTION 2. APPROPRIATIONS

1.) The Northeast Government is hereby charged with the responsibility of developing a new section of Buffalo for the purpose of capital relocation.

2.) This city section shall be funded using monies from a budget surplus.

3.) $15 billion of Building Bonds shall be issued to fund construction in the case of the diminution of the budget surplus.

SECTION 3. DEVELOPMENT AND CONSTRUCTION OF NEW CITY SECTION

1.) The new city section shall be designed in accordance with the ideals of New Urbanism as explicated in the New Urbanist Manifesto.

2.) The construction and administration of the capital shall be charged to an Administrator of the city section, appointed by the governor and confirmed by the Assembly. The Administrator shall have the duty of supervising the planning, construction, and running of the city section until its completion.

3.) The design and naming of the city section shall be approved by the Assembly.

4.) This city section shall be rendered fit for habitation and occupation by the Assembly and Governor in no more than one year.

5.) Upon completion, the new city section shall be within the boundaries and jurisdiction of the city government.

SECTION 4. BUSINESS INCENTIVE

Businesses that start or expand in the city section shall be granted a 50% cut in the regional sales tax.

SECTION 5. REPEAL OF THE CAPITAL REFERENDUM ACT

The Capital Referendum Act of 2012 is hereby repealed.

Sponsor: Gov. Averroes Nix

You know the drill, Mr. Governor. Speak within the next 24 hours or I'll stage a coup. 48 hours total of debate time.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 03:14:53 PM »

I personally support Buffalo for the capital, but let's wait for Funk and Goldy.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 04:08:12 PM »

I announed my support for moving the capital to Buffalo during my first campaign for the Assembly. There are numerous reasons why I support moving to Buffalo:

1.) A referendum takes too long. We should act decisive on this issue, and this bill is the best way to acheive that.

2.) Buffalo would bring an influx of new jobs to the city. Our current capital, New York City, is large enough to not need to be the host of our capital.

3.) A move to Buffalo would put more of the spotlight on our western borders, which has continously been ignored. A new capital would bring tons of jobs, tourism, and money into the western half of the Northeast.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 04:21:39 PM »

Governor, is it possible to include the constitutional amendment in the bill and just pass the whole thing as one package?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 06:08:39 PM »

I endorse the changes made by Governor Nix in this bill and I hope to see it pass.  If Goldwater's on board with this, then I think you guys can pass it with Simfan's absence.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 10:06:14 PM »

This has my complete support.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 09:15:28 AM »

As I indicated in the debates, I did and still do support Buffalo, but I'm slightly concerned about the sales tax cut- how much is deemed an expansion?, what will this do for non retail businesses? Perhaps a partial solution would be making it a time limited - for a decade - cut, for every business operating in the area.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 12:03:30 PM »
« Edited: August 26, 2012, 04:43:44 PM by Northeast Speaker Alfred F. Jones »

I propose the following amendment(s).

A BILL

To promote the interests of the Northeast Region through the development of a new capital section in the city of Buffalo, New York.

SECTION 1. TITLE

1.) The Northeast Government is hereby charged with the responsibility of developing a new section of Buffalo for the purpose of capital relocation.

3.) $15 billion of Building Bonds shall be issued to fund construction in the case of the diminution of the budget surplus.

1.) The new city section shall be designed in accordance with the ideals of New Urbanism as explicated in the New Urbanist Manifesto.

2.) The construction and administration of the capital shall be charged to an Administrator of the city section, appointed by the governor and confirmed by the Assembly. The Administrator shall have the duty of supervising the planning, construction, and running of the city section until its completion.

3.) The design and naming of the city section shall be approved by the Assembly.

4.) This city section shall be rendered fit for habitation and occupation by the Assembly and Governor in no more than one year.

5.) Upon completion, the new city section shall be within the boundaries and jurisdiction of the city government.

Businesses that start or expand in the city section shall be granted a 50% cut in the regional sales tax for a period of two (2) years.

SECTION 6. AMENDMENT TO THE CONSTITUTION

1. Article I of the New Northeast Constitution shall be amended as follows: "The administrative center for the government of the Northeast Region established in this Constitution shall be Buffalo, NY."

2. This bill shall go into effect only after this constitutional amendment has passed.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 12:18:53 PM »

As I indicated in the debates, I did and still do support Buffalo, but I'm slightly concerned about the sales tax cut- how much is deemed an expansion?, what will this do for non retail businesses? Perhaps a partial solution would be making it a time limited - for a decade - cut, for every business operating in the area.

'Expansion' pertains to, in my interpretation, a chain-type business opening up a new establishment in the city (i.e. McDonalds wants to build a new restaurant in the city section).  I don't see how non-retail businesses would be treated any differently; if one opens in the city section, it will receive a sales tax cut.

Though 50% is a pretty generous cut, so I think a time limit on this measure is most appropriate.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 01:47:20 PM »

Nix, is the amendment friendly?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 04:44:28 PM »

Fixed.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 07:05:40 PM »

Hey, has anyone figured out what we're going to do with the stuff from the old capital?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 01:53:15 PM »
« Edited: August 27, 2012, 01:59:31 PM by Senator Scott »

Hey, has anyone figured out what we're going to do with the stuff from the old capital?

How about we amend the bill to authorize that the old capitol be auctioned off and then use the money to cover the cost of new building?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 09:31:42 AM »

Crap, I just remembered that debate time technically expired yesterday, so I'm retroactively requesting and granting an 48-hour extention of debate time.

Any input on Scott's proposal?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 01:24:44 PM »

I propose the following amendment.

A BILL

SECTION 1. TITLE

Businesses that start or expand in the city section shall be granted a 50% cut in the regional sales tax for a period of two (2) years.

1. Article I of the New Northeast Constitution shall be amended as follows: "The administrative center for the government of the Northeast Region established in this Constitution shall be Buffalo, NY."

2. This bill shall go into effect only after this constitutional amendment has passed.

SECTION 7. USE OF CURRENT CAPITOL

1. The area of the current capitol section of New York City shall be auctioned to the public within one (1) year.

2. If any part of the section has not been sold within the time limit, it shall be turned over to the city government.

Nix, is it friendly?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 02:13:11 PM »
« Edited: August 28, 2012, 02:17:08 PM by Northeast Speaker Alfred F. Jones »

Request granted, Mr. Governor.

Representatives will vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain on the final text:

A BILL

SECTION 1. TITLE

SECTION 7. USE OF CURRENT CAPITOL

1. The area of the current capitol section of New York City shall be auctioned to the public within one (1) year.

2. If any part of the section has not been sold within the time limit, it shall be turned over to the city government.

Voting will last for 24 hours or until all members have voted.

---------------------

Aye.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2012, 02:52:37 PM »

Aye
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2012, 05:41:42 PM »

AYE
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2012, 08:17:03 PM »

Bump.

Can voting time be extended?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2012, 11:38:12 PM »

I don't really think so. Technically, it expired hours ago (Retroactively: my Speaker catchphrase!).

The bill passes with three ayes and two members not voting.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2012, 11:40:46 PM »

I thought constitutional amendments were required to pass with 2/3 of the entire Assembly, not just the members that voted.  My mistake.

I applaud this Assembly for successfully reaching common ground!
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2012, 11:45:05 PM »

I thought constitutional amendments were required to pass with 2/3 of the entire Assembly, not just the members that voted.  My mistake.

I applaud this Assembly for successfully reaching common ground!

The Northeast Assembly: Always in agreement on every issue. If we're not, we kick the offenders out and hire new people who do what we say!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies