Vosem's 2014 Senate Elections Analysis (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:47:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Vosem's 2014 Senate Elections Analysis (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Vosem's 2014 Senate Elections Analysis  (Read 6031 times)
Vote UKIP!
MasterSanders
United States

« on: August 27, 2012, 02:54:59 PM »

Georgia: Saxby Chambliss has confirmed he is seeking a third term, but he is not exactly beloved. By anybody. It is very possible that Chambliss may find himself with a Tea Party challenger; the three most prominent names are former Secretary of State Karen Handel and 2004 primary loser and all-around awesome dude Herman Cain. Georgia is polarized enough that the winner of the Republican primary is basically certain to win the election. Safe Republican

Personally, I hope that Chambliss does get a challenge. However, I can't see any viable candidate at the moment:

I have to agree with Isaac: I can't see Karen Handel running for the seat. Despite what she had done at SGK, I don't think she could overcome that sort of "moderate"stigma.

Unfortunately, I can't see brother Cain doing it either. I believe that he could demolish Chambliss, but he now has a sweetheart job taking over for Neil Boortz, starting next year. Plus, I don't think Gloria could stand another foray into electoral politics after the demolition derby the 2012 primaries turned out to be.

Now, Martha Zoller, who just lost the 9th District Congressional Primary, might. Like Brother Cain, she is a talkshow host, with some considerable Tea Party cred. However, like Karen Handel, she was demolished over supposedly being "moderate"on social issues.

I hoped to see Ashley Bell, a Hall County Commissioner, to run. In December of 2010, he switched over to the Republican Party, which is significant considering he is black. He was once president of the College Democrats, and his wife was a delegate for Barack Obama in 2008. However, Bell lost a primary fight last July, and might be politically stagnant at this point.

South Carolina: Lindsey Graham is considered a moderate Republican in South Carolina, and polling by PPP in fact has shown him losing to U.S. Representative Joe Wilson if the latter decides to challenge him in a primary. Other Tea Party challengers abound, but the Democrats will not be making a significant play for this seat. Safe Republican.

I didn't know that anyone had done a poll about the SC Senate race. The results do not surprise me. The Tea Party has had the greatest success in the Palmetto State, with Senator Jim DeMint, and virtually its entire congressional delegation.

Joe Wilson seems the most likely challenge Graham. Ever since the "you lie" incident, Wilson has been extremely popular within TP circles. In fact, I believe he raised more money for his reelection campaign than any other candidate for Congress back in 2010. (Check that for me.) With a lot of conservatives around the country that have a bone to pick with Graham, Wilson would have no problems with fundraising.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies