Fox News does it's patriotic duty again.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:19:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Fox News does it's patriotic duty again.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fox News does it's patriotic duty again.  (Read 1424 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 24, 2012, 03:06:28 PM »

http://openchannel.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/24/13458745-al-qaida-linked-websites-threaten-ex-navy-seal-turned-author-with-destruction?lite

Users on several militant Islamic websites affiliated with al-Qaida have posted the name and photo of a former Navy SEAL identified as the author of an upcoming book on the commando raid that killed Osama bin Laden. The posts called for his "destruction" in revenge for the al-Qaida founder’s killing.

"We pray to Allah for his destruction sooner rather than later," said one of the posts.

"Oh Allah, make an example of him for the whole world and give him dark days ahead," read another.

Among the website publishing the death threats was the "Al-Fidaa" web forum, which al-Qaida uses to distribute its media and public communications, said Evan Kohlmann, an NBC News consultant and a terrorism analyst at Flashpoint Partners, a global security firm.

"Here is the first picture of the dog who murdered the martyr Shaykh Usama Bin Laden," wrote one of the posters, using an alternate spelling of bin Laden's name. "May Allah have mercy on him."

Fox News on Thursday identified the author of the book, which is titled "No Easy Day: The Firsthand Account of the Mission That Killed Osama bin Laden," as a 36-year-old former SEAL from Wrangell, Alaska. The Associated Press later said it had confirmed the author’s identity. (NBC News is not identifying the former SEAL).
Link
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 06:06:06 PM »

The guy is an idiot.  Whatever happens to him he deserves it and the Darwin award.  If you can't keep your mouth shut don't join the Navy SEALs.  I hope the US government gives him zero protection.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 08:01:27 PM »

Poor guy probably just fell victim to the bloodsuckers mining the event for profit. He heard the amount and couldn't resist. And now there's a bounty on his head. Embarrassing.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 09:00:44 PM »

Oh, Fox News...to be fair any other major player in American journalism would've done the same thing. But still.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 07:29:38 PM »

The guy is an idiot.  Whatever happens to him he deserves it and the Darwin award.  If you can't keep your mouth shut don't join the Navy SEALs.  I hope the US government gives him zero protection.

Indeed, he's a TRAITOR!  Throw him in a cell with Bradley Manning and Julian Assange!
Link
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 07:42:13 PM »

Indeed, he's a TRAITOR!  Throw him in a cell with Bradley Manning and Julian Assange!

What the...?!  No one is talking about throwing him in jail or the government taking any action against him.  Are you sure you are responding to the right post?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 11:36:57 PM »

What the...?!  No one is talking about throwing him in jail or the government taking any action against him.  Are you sure you are responding to the right post?

Actually, the government may take action against him.  He's supposed to get preclearance from DoD for any operational details in his biography and he didn't.  Which means he'll either end up in trouble or he'll stick to just the stuff that's already been leaked.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 12:26:57 AM »

Actually, the government may take action against him.  He's supposed to get preclearance from DoD for any operational details in his biography and he didn't.  Which means he'll either end up in trouble or he'll stick to just the stuff that's already been leaked.

Yep, which makes him a bloody traitor!  Hang him from a tree, right next to that twink Bradley Manning and that guy who looks like an anime character!  Death to all who dare to go against the U.S. government, durka durka.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 12:40:27 AM »

...I'm not following, Morgan.  No one's calling the Seal Team 6 guy a traitor, they're making fun of FOX for revealing his identity?  What are you on about?
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 01:19:59 AM »

...I'm not following, Morgan.  No one's calling the Seal Team 6 guy a traitor, they're making fun of FOX for revealing his identity?  What are you on about?

I'm mocking the whole "hang the traitors" contingent that calls for B. Manning's head on a platter.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 08:05:10 AM »

Well that's idiotic, the two are completely different.  Manning leaked state secrets of all sorts, while this guy is writing about a specific operation that he took part in over a year ago.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 03:39:46 PM »

Well that's idiotic, the two are completely different.  Manning leaked state secrets of all sorts, while this guy is writing about a specific operation that he took part in over a year ago.

Not completely different, just a matter of scale.  But a lot depends on how much the tell all book actually tells.
Link
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 04:34:14 PM »

I'm mocking the whole "hang the traitors" contingent that calls for B. Manning's head on a platter.

Everyone is allowed to have an opinion.  But I should point out the OP and my response to the OP have nothing to do with Bradley Manning, Julian Assange, Wikileaks, the US government arresting anyone or so called "traitors."
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 05:44:17 PM »

We don't want it on a platter, just under six feet of soil.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 06:39:39 PM »

That's what he gets for defying the Holy U.S. Government!
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 07:10:52 PM »

So, if we oppose the political leanings of someone, we may want him six feet under?
So, how would you react if I said I wanted Glenn Beck or Pat Robertson six feet under?
You did the same thing.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 07:22:50 PM »

So, if we oppose the political leanings of someone, we may want him six feet under?
So, how would you react if I said I wanted Glenn Beck or Pat Robertson six feet under?
You did the same thing.

It's not the same -- Beck and Robertson didn't do anything the government holds to be "treason" against it.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 07:28:54 PM »

You did the same thing.

It's not the same -- Beck and Robertson didn't do anything the government holds to be "treason" against it.

By being allies of neoliberals, they betrayed their listeners by making them vote for policies that hurt them.
They betrayed their listeners and the people of the United States by being pawns of the big corporations.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 08:10:06 PM »

That's what he gets for defying the Holy U.S. Government!

No; that's what he gets for espionage, which is what remaining in the military, when he could have quit at any time, for the sole purpose of leaking classified documents (which don't show anything illegal being done) is. Depending on whether the leaked documents actually caused the deaths of US servicemen (which is plausible, but a quick Google glance didn't confirm or deny it), this would also be a clear case of voluntary manslaughter.

You did the same thing.

No, I didn't; Manning's political convictions don't matter. He has committed a crime for which I believe the death penalty is the fair punishment -- in any case, the prosecutors are not seeking the death penalty. As for wanting Glenn Beck or Pat Robertson six feet under, that's a natural reaction to listening to them; I perfectly understand and sympathize. I'm not a Moral Majority Republican.

You did the same thing.

By being allies of neoliberals, they betrayed their listeners by making them vote for policies that hurt them.

Being allies of neoliberals is only commendable; the problem with Robertson, especially, is that he made them vote for the right party but for the wrong reasons. This thread isn't really about economics, so you can just insert a generic "neoliberalism is awesome!" comment here; if you have a specific criticism, I'll be glad to reply to that.

They betrayed their listeners and the people of the United States by being pawns of the big corporations.

And, obviously, everything would be much better if we could just tax the big corporations more and poor the money into a social safety net. Snark, in case it wasn't obvious.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 08:32:15 PM »

If he was an employee of some corporation and leaked documents showing that the company was involved in the blood diamond trade, with information that might put some people at risk, nobody would be calling for him to be executed.  Yet somehow because it's the government, he deserves to suffer.

Overall, I'm not sure I even take offense to him being called a "traitor," given how I love treason when it's committed against states.

I'd be tempted to call Adrian Lamo a traitor for snitching on Manning.
Link
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 08:49:20 PM »

If he was an employee of some corporation and leaked documents showing that the company was involved in the blood diamond trade, with information that might put some people at risk, nobody would be calling for him to be executed.  Yet somehow because it's the government, he deserves to suffer.

Overall, I'm not sure I even take offense to him being called a "traitor," given how I love treason when it's committed against states.

Please read the OP and my posts.  Neither I nor the OP said anything about the government executing him.  That is not the topic of this thread.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2012, 09:01:29 PM »

If he was an employee of some corporation and leaked documents showing that the company was involved in the blood diamond trade, with information that might put some people at risk, nobody would be calling for him to be executed.  Yet somehow because it's the government, he deserves to suffer.

Please read the OP and my posts.  Neither I nor the OP said anything about the government executing him.  That is not the topic of this thread.

I know, I was just saying, in response to the Bradley Manning thing being discussed ITT in response to my trolling.
Link
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2012, 09:07:30 PM »

I know, I was just saying, in response to the Bradley Manning thing being discussed ITT in response to my trolling.

Well okay but you quoted me.  Regardless of how you feel about the US government that has nothing to do with this guy's stupidity.  If you are in the room when Osama Bin Laden gets shot the one thing you would probably want to do is keep a low profile... unless you think living like Salman Rushdie is fun.  I mean really how dumb can a guy be.  A book?!
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2012, 10:06:52 PM »

If he was an employee of some corporation and leaked documents showing that the company was involved in the blood diamond trade, with information that might put some people at risk, nobody would be calling for him to be executed.  Yet somehow because it's the government, he deserves to suffer.

Because a corporation is subjugated to a government; the government dispenses justice (this is one of the very few strands connecting literally all government everywhere) and the government gets to decide whether or not the person who leaked documents about the corporation has done something wrong. Because the fundamental role of government is to protect you (which the American government does better than the vast majority of governments), betraying a government is particularly egregious, especially since he was actually being paid by the government at the time.

I could launch a critique of anarchism now about why such a position makes no sense whatsoever, but obviously neither of us will convince the other.

Lamo should probably receive some sort of symbolic gesture for revealing Manning, to encourage others to do the same.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2012, 10:31:47 PM »

Lamo should probably receive some sort of symbolic gesture for revealing Manning, to encourage others to do the same.

You mean encourage people to snitch?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies