KEmperor/Alcon on Immigration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:58:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  KEmperor/Alcon on Immigration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: KEmperor/Alcon on Immigration  (Read 1825 times)
Umengus
Belgium

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2005, 10:55:03 AM »

I strongly endorse a program of immigration of unskilled immigrants ON THE CONDITION THAT they have to work for a twoi year stint in employement the government determines, for an appropriate salary. This would make infrastructure easier to build, and also allow for immigration into the country.

I strongly disagree. The majority of US employed are unskilled and do you want to accept and to promote "a program of immigration of unskilled"? it would be catastophic for the social cohesion of our nation. Immigration can be useful for some jobs very skilled but certainly not for unskilled jobs.
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2005, 10:59:37 AM »

I don't think that we can speak about immigration without speak about integration. When a country accepts lots of immigrants, a big problem of integration is created. Consequently, measurments must be taken to preserve the harmony of our society: respect US values, learn the langage, know US history,... Still, it's very important to avoid communautarism and overal ghettoisation.  Have you concerns about this?

Last but not least, you said there is a lack of workers in some sectors but however, I see unemployement. Hence, I propose  to fight against this unemployment first rather than to authorize greater immigration?

Firstly, the problem of integration has always been a concern when it comes to immigration.  This same issue was raised in the 19th century when large numbers of Italians, Irish, and others came here and formed their own insular communites.  But I believe that Atlasia is capable to absorbing all willing immigrants into your great culture.

Secondly, the kinds of jobs these people take are low-skilled jobs.  The kinds of jobs that most Atlasians are unwilling to take, like fruit picking.  By stimulating this sector of the economy, it can help stimulate others, leading to lower unemployment in more skilled labor positions.

Bad jobs for immigrants if I understand well. There are lots of jobs that US unemployed don't want because these jobs are badly-paid and testing. The solution is not to give these jobs to immigrants but to require companies better working conditions. Hence, US enemployed will accept these jobs...

Not jobs with bad conditions per se, but jobs that are very labor intensive.  For example, fruit picking.  Fruit pickers have to spend long hours under the hot sun in a monotonous job.  They can be paid well, but it is still not a job that most non-immigrants are willing to do.  Especially if they are well educated.  The problem we have is that there aren't enough non-skilled workers domestically produced.  Nevertheless, the situation is that these people are here, now.  There is demand for them.  Legalizing their status will simply recognize what is already fact, while allowing them legal redress if their working conditions are not up to par.

In the reality, "fruit picking" is a very labor intensive job wich is badly-paid. If these jobs were better-paid, I think that lots of US unemployed would make this job, intensive labor or not.

I strongly believe that the first priority of the US government is to fight against the unemployment. It will not be the case with your administration.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2005, 11:45:42 AM »

I don't think that we can speak about immigration without speak about integration. When a country accepts lots of immigrants, a big problem of integration is created. Consequently, measurments must be taken to preserve the harmony of our society: respect US values, learn the langage, know US history,... Still, it's very important to avoid communautarism and overal ghettoisation.  Have you concerns about this?

Last but not least, you said there is a lack of workers in some sectors but however, I see unemployement. Hence, I propose  to fight against this unemployment first rather than to authorize greater immigration?

Firstly, the problem of integration has always been a concern when it comes to immigration.  This same issue was raised in the 19th century when large numbers of Italians, Irish, and others came here and formed their own insular communites.  But I believe that Atlasia is capable to absorbing all willing immigrants into your great culture.

Secondly, the kinds of jobs these people take are low-skilled jobs.  The kinds of jobs that most Atlasians are unwilling to take, like fruit picking.  By stimulating this sector of the economy, it can help stimulate others, leading to lower unemployment in more skilled labor positions.

Bad jobs for immigrants if I understand well. There are lots of jobs that US unemployed don't want because these jobs are badly-paid and testing. The solution is not to give these jobs to immigrants but to require companies better working conditions. Hence, US enemployed will accept these jobs...

Not jobs with bad conditions per se, but jobs that are very labor intensive.  For example, fruit picking.  Fruit pickers have to spend long hours under the hot sun in a monotonous job.  They can be paid well, but it is still not a job that most non-immigrants are willing to do.  Especially if they are well educated.  The problem we have is that there aren't enough non-skilled workers domestically produced.  Nevertheless, the situation is that these people are here, now.  There is demand for them.  Legalizing their status will simply recognize what is already fact, while allowing them legal redress if their working conditions are not up to par.

In the reality, "fruit picking" is a very labor intensive job wich is badly-paid. If these jobs were better-paid, I think that lots of US unemployed would make this job, intensive labor or not.

I strongly believe that the first priority of the US government is to fight against the unemployment. It will not be the case with your administration.

You are operating under the mindset that there are a fixed number of jobs, and that if we let people into the country they will "steal" jobs from others.  This is not the case.  Economic stimulation increases the number of jobs avalible.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2005, 07:44:56 PM »

Exactly, KEmp-and it is proven.

In the 1960s Australia had a policy of immigration that basically meant that immigrants ould get free passge, and a wage, but would have to work for the government for two years in a state of their choosing. This allowed them to come to Australia, something they'd never have been able to afford to do before, and also boosted Australia's infrastructure significantly, and helped bring our economy into the modern world. Before immigration, the Australian Economy 'rode the sheep's bacl"-it was veery very heavily argriculture based, but now whilst agriculture is still important, it is far from the main industry of Australia. Why? Because we have more people, better infrastructure and a more competitive market.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2005, 01:12:15 AM »

Kemperor, please keep the Jews, Arabs, Blacks and Mexicans out of Atlasia.
Kemperor, please throw ASSad out of Atlasia!
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies