Colonization (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:32:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Colonization (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should the Kingdom establish colonies in the New World?
Yes

No

Unsure/No opinion

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Colonization  (Read 1479 times)
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: August 27, 2012, 10:10:15 PM »

If Britain hadn't established colonies in North America, do you think society would still be better off today?
which society?

Eventually we'll have to go back to agriculture vs. hunting and gathering.
What?  Why?
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 04:19:22 PM »

You* would probably be speaking French - or possibly Dutch - or possibly even more radically Mohawk Dutch or Cherokee French creole.

* - Of course I know 'you' as an individual would not exist, I'm using you in a collective sense to mean 'you' Americans. Of course, the real question to ask in this thread is why, in this alternative history reality, did the British - or rather I should say, the English - not get involved in colonizing the Americas. For this to happen in RL you would have a way in which the British Isles political and socioeconomic history turns out radically but plausibly different from actually happened in RL. One way might be a(n) EnglishHouse of Plantagenet victory in the Hundred Years War, another would be that the Norman Invasion of Ireland never happened and England eventually had another rival to it, this time just across Irish sea which prevented it from being hegemonic over the North West Atlantic. Perhaps you would be speaking Irish after all.

Well, the OP only specifies North America.  If Columbus was not able to get anyone to fund his voyage then John Cabot, sailing for England, might have been the first man* to discover the New World.  Have the English discover the spoils of the Mesoamerican and Andean empires first and they won't have a reason to go digging for gold in Virginia.

*By which I mean the first European man, excluding Vinland and the possibilities of adventurous Basque fishermen.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies