Romney 2012: The Last Great White Campaign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:04:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney 2012: The Last Great White Campaign
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Romney 2012: The Last Great White Campaign  (Read 13642 times)
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 28, 2012, 10:05:53 AM »
« edited: August 28, 2012, 10:19:22 AM by Legitimate Voter »

Interesting article in National Journal on how the Romney campaign have essentially given up on non-white vote and are focused on not just winning the white vote , but getting 61% (McCain got 55%, Bush got 58% in 2004)

...here are some excerpts:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/thenextamerica/politics/obama-needs-80-of-minority-vote-to-win-2012-presidential-election-20120824
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 10:08:59 AM »

Truly a campaign strategy to be proud of.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 10:25:26 AM »

Whites will be less than 74% of the electorate. Their percentage is declining in every election and I don't see why this trend will be reversed now.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 10:42:36 AM »

Whites will be less than 74% of the electorate. Their percentage is declining in every election and I don't see why this trend will be reversed now.
Voter ID laws.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 10:54:09 AM »

As if throwing bones to specific cultural groups to get their support is any more admirable?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 11:01:42 AM »

As if throwing bones to specific cultural groups to get their support is any more admirable?

What bones have the Democrats been throwing to Asians, lately? Democrats have naturally become the party of minorities and there are actual reasons for that, not just the usual misinterpreted reverse racism, or whatever. Even though it is (only partially) the result of politically advantageous moves, they've also largely been the right thing to do. There's a difference between that and specifically playing to the white vote, especially with the... unfortunate history that has.

Most cynically, Democrats are giving concessions to minorities for political gain. That's the worst they're doing. At worst, the Republicans are coming off like neo-confederates.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 11:03:34 AM »

What bones have the Democrats been throwing to Asians, lately? Democrats have naturally become the party of minorities and there are actual reasons for that, not just the usual misinterpreted reverse racism, or whatever. Even though it is (only partially) the result of politically advantageous moves, they've also largely been the right thing to do. There's a difference between that and specifically playing to the white vote, especially with the... unfortunate history that has.

Most cynically, Democrats are giving concessions to minorities for political gain. That's the worst they're doing. At worst, the Republicans are coming off like neo-confederates.
My point is not that it is a bad thing...my point is why is it a problem if Republicans reach out to White Americans as Democrats aim to do with Black/Latino/Gay/etc Americans?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 11:08:54 AM »

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 11:09:22 AM »

My point is not that it is a bad thing...my point is why is it a problem if Republicans reach out to White Americans as Democrats aim to do with Black/Latino/Gay/etc Americans?

Mainly because they're not really reaching out to white voters as much as they're just stoking racial resentment. Democrats do their pandering in fairly positive, purely expansionary sort of ways. Promising hispanics a DREAM Act, pledging support for gay marriage for us LGBT types, defending civil rights and nondiscrimination laws (and also being a black president) for the black community, promising pay equity, contraception and abortion rights, and family support programs for women, etc.

When republicans reach out to voters they just sort of make thinly veiled racist statements, talk about God a lot, and act super macho.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 11:12:27 AM »

To me there's something wrong with claiming to be the defender of the people who have never needed defending in the first place. (i.e. White Americans)
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 11:15:38 AM »

Yes Obama has pandered to his constituents by giving them what they want (gay marriage, stopping deporting Mexican kids). The difference with how Romney is appealing to white voters is he is making racist birther jokes and (worse) running blatantly false anti-welfare ads aimed at white voters to stoke racial resentment.

Romney always talks about how Obama is trying to divide America (because he wants to end the tax cuts for the rich to help balance the budget...the bastard!)...but ROmney is overtly driving wedges between middle class and poor and yes between white and black over this BS Welfare thing.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 11:18:12 AM »

This will be a very effective strategy for Romney.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 11:23:01 AM »

It's hilarious to see Democrats try to slander anything and everything as a racist ploy. It's even more amusing to see Democrats go "okay, some of our policies might be ethnic pandering...BUT THE EVIL GOP RUNS ADS ON OBAMA'S WELFARE CHANGES."
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 01:46:14 PM »

It's hilarious to see Democrats try to slander anything and everything as a racist ploy. It's even more amusing to see Democrats go "okay, some of our policies might be ethnic pandering...BUT THE EVIL GOP RUNS ADS ON OBAMA'S WELFARE CHANGES."

I like how their ACTUAL ethnic pandering is "the right thing to do"
and republicans SUPPOSEDLY doing the same thing is "an unnecessary stupid racist evil" 

This is classic projection.  They love pinning something they are guilty of on Republicans.  It makes them feel better...  less guilty.  The amazing thing is how unconscious they are that they are doing it.   
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 01:52:17 PM »

You two can drop the act now. Even the Romney campaign is admitting that they're embracing a racist strategy focused on driving up white turnout.
Link
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 02:05:10 PM »
« Edited: August 28, 2012, 02:25:54 PM by Link »

Voter ID laws.

Short, accurate and to the point.

By "throwing bones" you mean not hurling racist filth at them at every opportunity?  For a lot of African Americans the Democratic party has become their home merely by default.  The vast majority of African Americans have self respect and aren't going to sit around while people say stuff like this...

If you are black and go to a TEA party rally here is the type of stuff you will be treated to...

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Link.

It's hilarious to see Democrats try to slander anything and everything as a racist ploy.

Check out the bolded part of the hilarious right wing joke I quoted.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2012, 02:58:48 PM »

One person who (probably) supports Romney makes a racist joke ---> Romney is waging a racist war of racism.

Cool logic bro. Tell it again.
Link
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2012, 03:22:19 PM »

One person who (probably) supports Romney makes a racist joke ---> Romney is waging a racist war of racism.

Logic?!  Yeah what about all the other people that laughed and went right along with the joke?  What does your logic say about that?  And if someone can say this on a microphone to a crowd of people what is said in private?  What does your "logic" say about that?
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2012, 03:25:50 PM »

It astounds me how a poll out last week shows Romney with ZERO percent of African American support...and this is pinned on Romney while polls showing whites preferring Romney are then attributed- by some- to racism

Let's be consistent... if it is not racist to design a campaign to appeal to minorities (which I do NOT believe is racist), it is also not racist to design a campaign to appeal to whites
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2012, 03:29:36 PM »
« Edited: August 28, 2012, 03:35:10 PM by Legitimate Voter »

The thing here is that the Romney campaign are shooting for an unprecedented share of the white vote, especially relative to their overall target. Romney is shooting for 50.1% overall with 61% of whites.

In the modern era only Reagan in 1984 and Nixon in 72 have nabbed more than 61% of whites, both of which were landslide elections already.   Even George HW Bush only got 59% when he beat Dukakis and that was the year of the infamous (and clearly race baiting) Willie Horton ad*, and  still Bush's overall percent was still 53.4.

* Fun fact: Larry McCarthy (the guy who made Willie Horton ad) is media consultant for Romney's SuperPac. Look forward to what they have in store to help Romney with white folks.
Link
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2012, 03:30:55 PM »

It astounds me how a poll out last week shows Romney with ZERO percent of African American support...and this is pinned on Romney while polls showing whites preferring Romney are then attributed- by some- to racism

Let's be consistent... if it is not racist to design a campaign to appeal to minorities (which I do NOT believe is racist), it is also not racist to design a campaign to appeal to whites

Read this...

To me there's something wrong with claiming to be the defender of the people who have never needed defending in the first place. (i.e. White Americans)
Link
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2012, 03:39:40 PM »

The thing here is that the Romney campaign are shooting for an unprecedented share of the white vote, especially relative to their overall target. Romney is shooting for 50.1% overall with 61% of whites.

In the modern era only Reagan in 1984 and Nixon in 72 have nabbed more than 61% of whites, both of which were landslide elections already.   Even George HW Bush only got 59% when he beat Dukakis and that was the year of the infamous (and clearly race baiting) Willie Horton ad*, and  still Bush's overall percent was still 53.4.

* Fun fact: Larry McCarthy (the guy who made Willie Horton ad) is media consultant for Romney's SuperPac. Look forward to what they have in store to help Romney with white folks.

Nixon also got 18% of the black vote.  He was not polling at 0.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2012, 03:42:21 PM »

Obama wants to win as many white voters as possible, Romney wants to win as many white voters as possible.

Obama wants to win as many minority voters as possible, Romney wants as few minority voters to be able to vote as possible.

And yes, it is racist to design a campaign to appeal to whites if the foundation of that appeal to whites is racism.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2012, 03:48:55 PM »

Logic?!  Yeah what about all the other people that laughed and went right along with the joke?  What does your logic say about that?  And if someone can say this on a microphone to a crowd of people what is said in private?  What does your "logic" say about that?

Well, it was still kind of funny. Kind of racist yeah, but more of an nervous chuckle-type than gasp and head for the hills.

Anyways, that's ridiculous. Much worse things have been said about Republicans (jokingly) at Democrat rallies. This is a schoolboy argument at best.

But I guess the conclusion we should be drawing is that if a campaign that doesn't have poll-tested goodies specifically designed for every single narrow ethnic group, it is predicated on racism.

The foundation of Romney's appeal to whites is predominantly a mixture of the poor economic climate and ideological hostility toward Obama (from right-wingers to left-wingers). It's amazing how Democrats don't even know what the talking points of the other side are, but I suppose it's not unsurprising.
Link
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2012, 04:01:21 PM »

Well, it was still kind of funny.

I love it when in the middle of a rebuttal someone proves my point.

Much worse things have been said about Republicans (jokingly) at Democrat rallies. This is a schoolboy argument at best.

The argument that Republican is a race let alone a race that went through government sanctioned slavery is amazing.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies