Israeli court: Israeli army not at fault for murdering Rachel Corrie
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:33:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israeli court: Israeli army not at fault for murdering Rachel Corrie
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Israeli court: Israeli army not at fault for murdering Rachel Corrie  (Read 2824 times)
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 28, 2012, 02:37:13 PM »

http://www.aljazeera.com/video/middleeast/2012/08/201282862745947503.html

Bull.  Sh#t.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 03:10:01 PM »

Hah. Good news, but hardly unexpected.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 03:45:28 PM »

Good Bad news, but hardly unexpected.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 04:09:08 PM »

Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 05:52:09 PM »

Hah?  Really?  An Israeli court makes an absolutely bullsh#t decision that vindicates the Israeli army for murdering an American citizen, and you're just jumping for joy?
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 05:54:28 PM »

Hah?  Really?  An Israeli court makes an absolutely bullsh#t decision that vindicates the Israeli army for murdering an American citizen, and you're just jumping for joy?

It's really more a easy-going sigh of relief than any tiring physical exertion. Taking it easssy.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 05:57:30 PM »

Yes, you're so relieved that the Israeli army has been officially cleared of all fault.
danny
Israel

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 04:12:10 PM »

The courts decided that the driver couldn't see Rachel Corrie, and certainly if that is true (and I have no reason to believe otherwise) than you can't convict someone of murdering someone whom you don't know exist.

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 07:18:35 PM »

The courts decided that the driver couldn't see Rachel Corrie, and certainly if that is true (and I have no reason to believe otherwise) than you can't convict someone of murdering someone whom you don't know exist.

Murder, no.  Manslaughter yes if you act in a manner that prevents you from being reasonably certain that what you are doing puts others in danger.

It's a grey zone, but since the bulldozer operator was unable to see what he was plowing up then yes what he did constitutes manslaughter.
danny
Israel

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 08:03:09 PM »

Murder, no.  Manslaughter yes if you act in a manner that prevents you from being reasonably certain that what you are doing puts others in danger.

It's a grey zone, but since the bulldozer operator was unable to see what he was plowing up then yes what he did constitutes manslaughter.

If someone jumps in front of my car while I'm driving and I hit him, that's not manslaughter, it's his fault.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 08:19:58 PM »

If someone jumps in front of my car while I'm driving and I hit him, that's not manslaughter, it's his fault.

Do you customarily drive cars that don't let you see what is in front of you?  The available facts indicate she did not move in a sudden manner and intended to be seen in time to cause the bulldozer driver to halt.  If the bulldozer driver was unable to see then he was at fault for willfully driving an unsafe vehicle.

I realize you support Israel's efforts to slowly grab more land from the Palestinians in the mistaken belief that increases your country's security.  It might do so in the short term, but in the long term it won't.  Israel's continued existence depends upon the Arabs remaining disunited.  Once the ultra-Zionists achieve their goal of removing the Palestinians from Judea and Samaria, one more roadblock to Arab unity will be gone.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 09:02:48 PM »

Maybe this is a case of involuntary manslaughter, but ultimately there's a difference between hitting a pedestrian when you're driving drunk and hitting somebody who runs out onto the road and crouches down so they are difficult to see with the intent of proving some sort of stupid point.

Yes, of course.

Yes, you're so relieved that the Israeli army has been officially cleared of all fault.

I am; it would be more just to fault Corrie than the Israeli army.
danny
Israel

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 09:53:13 PM »

I realize you support Israel's efforts to slowly grab more land from the Palestinians in the mistaken belief that increases your country's security.  It might do so in the short term, but in the long term it won't.  Israel's continued existence depends upon the Arabs remaining disunited.  Once the ultra-Zionists achieve their goal of removing the Palestinians from Judea and Samaria, one more roadblock to Arab unity will be gone.

What roadblock is this? Is there some sort of difference of opinion in the Arab world which would somehow be go away?

Arabs are not united because they hate one another, but that has nothing to do with Israel.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 12:21:16 AM »

I guess they had to wait nearly a decade so nobody would be outraged. Very sad.
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 02:18:07 AM »

Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 02:26:40 AM »

What roadblock is this? Is there some sort of difference of opinion in the Arab world which would somehow be go away?

Arabs are not united because they hate one another, but that has nothing to do with Israel.

And the Arabs hated each other before Saladin finally united them and kicked Crusader butt. Heck they hated each other after Saladin united them, but he kept them united long enough to achieve his goal. All the State of Israel is is a modern day Jewish Crusader State.  The Arabs will get the atomic bomb someday and while it will be a very bloody war when it comes, bye-bye Israel when it does.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 03:09:42 AM »

The other apologists aren't going to like you saying that.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 10:06:49 AM »

The other apologists aren't going to like you saying that.

Too bad.  I feel sorry for the average Israeli Jew.  They largely didn't ask for the present situation as they weren't the ones who moved into the area.  But they are stuck with what is a no-win situation in the long term. It'll be decades at a minimum before what I foresee happening happens, with an excellent chance it won't happen in the lifetime of anyone living, but I am utterly convinced that it will happen, and I don't see a way to prevent it.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 10:55:14 AM »

It is exceedingly unlikely (closer to impossible) that any democratic and economically semi-functional country would initiate the complete annihilation of a people.

If anything, Israel's security situation (at least regarding huge problems) probably improves the longer it holds out.

The idea that Arabs are so obsessed with destroying Israel that a democratic Arab state would face massive death to do so is both completely wrong and reveals a pretty worrying mindset. Just like how the vast majority of people in our society don't care as much about politics as you  do, that's just not happening in the Middle East.

Hell, maybe there's a miniscule, tiny chance a desperate, insane, dictatorship would be willing to consider it among the most extreme of circumstances. But those are starting to be in pretty short supply.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 12:06:23 PM »

And the Arabs hated each other before Saladin finally united them and kicked Crusader butt. Heck they hated each other after Saladin united them, but he kept them united long enough to achieve his goal. All the State of Israel is is a modern day Jewish Crusader State.  The Arabs will get the atomic bomb someday and while it will be a very bloody war when it comes, bye-bye Israel when it does.

Israel's got dozens of atomic bombs at the bare minimum. It'll be bye-bye Middle East if anyone launches a nuke at Israel.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2012, 12:45:07 PM »

Ernest, I think you're exaggerating, especially as to how bloody the conflict will get.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 03:56:46 PM »

It is exceedingly unlikely (closer to impossible) that any democratic and economically semi-functional country would initiate the complete annihilation of a people.

Who said anything about democratically united Arabs?

The Arab Spring is not a Middle Eastern version of Europe 1989.  It's more like Europe 1848.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Not really.  Israel is nibbling at the margins, but for the threat I perceive, they could take over the whole West Bank and kick out all the Palestinians and it wouldn't matter.

To repeat, I said a united Arab state, and nothing about a democratic one.

Not at all.  The dictator of a united Arabia is likely going to have gotten there by stoking the nationalistic fires to divert the people.

Israel's got dozens of atomic bombs at the bare minimum. It'll be bye-bye Middle East if anyone launches a nuke at Israel.

Only if Israel can get the nukes there.  The war I envision happening will only occur once a united Arabia has a substantial ballistic missile defense and at least air equality to Israel and more likely air supremacy.   Israel is so small, one only needs a few nukes to penetrate to be able to knock the country out and one can use short range missiles to deliver them, while a credible Israeli riposte capable of promising MAD needs to be able to hit hundreds of targets that are largely quite some distance from Israel.

Besides, while I think this war will end with atomic fire, I don't expect it to start there.

As I said, it will take time for the military situation I envisage happening to happen.  Probably a half century at minimum, so I'll never find out in this world if I'm correct.  And maybe the political situation will moderate, but I doubt it because I fully expect Israel to continue following policies based upon a smug self-assurance of their military superiority well past the time it no longer has that superiority.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 04:15:09 PM »

Wait, you're postulating the creation of some kind of pan-Arab state? You know how patently ridiculous that is, right? I think you have a very incorrect impression of Arab culture and Arab societies.
danny
Israel

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2012, 05:37:44 PM »

Pan-Arabism is dead, and has been for a while now.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2012, 06:34:48 PM »

Pan-Arabism is dead, and has been for a while now.

It's the ideological version of Generalissimo Francisco Franco. Tongue
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies