Official Republican National Convention 2012 Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:54:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Official Republican National Convention 2012 Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 31
Author Topic: Official Republican National Convention 2012 Discussion Thread  (Read 25896 times)
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: August 28, 2012, 10:15:43 PM »

Good last two speeches, but this night didn't help Romney at all. Out of all the speeches tonight, Mitt's name was barely mentioned. Isn't this convention supposed to be about Romney?
The speech, according to Rachel Maddow, was 2600 words. Mitt Romney was not mentioned at all until 1800 words into the speech.
I will admit that Christie delivered a better speech than I imagined it would be.
I don't know what MSNBC was talking about. It was a good speech, not great but good. Still nowhere near as great as Obama's 2004 "Red States and Blue States" DNC Keynote. This night didn't help Romney much at all.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #226 on: August 28, 2012, 10:16:16 PM »

From what people has been saying and based on Anne's speech, I get the sense that Mitt is not going for the humanizing approach. I think Mitt is going to own his persona. He's a successful biz guy. His message will be, it's a complex world and things are tough, but dont worry I've got this.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #227 on: August 28, 2012, 10:19:26 PM »

Had to check in to say Christie=total disgrace. He's obviously going for a repeat of Obama's propulsion to superstardom through a convention speech. He didn't say a damn thing about Romney personally, it was all about introducing himself and his story officially on a national level. On and on and on about his record in NJ, didn't someone know this disgrace was coming? Since Romney is looking like a lost cause, I can't wait for Hillary to destroy this waste of space next time around.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #228 on: August 28, 2012, 10:21:50 PM »

Anyone with Christie-Ryan photoshopped together waving to a crowd wins a cookie.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #229 on: August 28, 2012, 10:23:15 PM »

Question:

It's been a long time since I've watched Barack Obama's keynote speech, but how often was Kerry mentioned in that speech?
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #230 on: August 28, 2012, 10:23:27 PM »

So far, this has been the worst convention I've ever seen.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #231 on: August 28, 2012, 10:24:01 PM »

If anything, it was more like Cuomo's '84 keynote (though Cuomo's is one of the greatest speeches of all time, this is not). He barely mentioned the actual candidate, but instead threw in some red meat for the base to eat up. Chrisite did quite well. He's certainly on the path for 2016.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #232 on: August 28, 2012, 10:24:16 PM »

Found this somewhere
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #233 on: August 28, 2012, 10:25:37 PM »

If anything, it was more like Cuomo's '84 keynote (though Cuomo's is one of the greatest speeches of all time, this is not). He barely mentioned the actual candidate, but instead threw in some red meat for the base to eat up. Chrisite did quite well. He's certainly on the path for 2016.

It was nothing but more vague rhetoric, where were the specific attacks? Where was the substance? Where were the issues? We got some references to debt, and a bunch of self promotion about teachers.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #234 on: August 28, 2012, 10:27:26 PM »

Question:

It's been a long time since I've watched Barack Obama's keynote speech, but how often was Kerry mentioned in that speech?

13 times.  Compared to 8 for Romney in Christie's speech.  Note this is raw counts - might not be exactly equivalent.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #235 on: August 28, 2012, 10:32:13 PM »

Question:

13 times.  Compared to 8 for Romney in Christie's speech.  Note this is raw counts - might not be exactly equivalent.
So both had minimal mentions...Thanks Smiley

So far, this has been the worst convention I've ever seen.
Then we must be doing something right! Smiley Wink
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #236 on: August 28, 2012, 10:34:59 PM »

and in other news....
You must be logged in to read this quote.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #237 on: August 28, 2012, 10:35:26 PM »

I just watched the Romney and Christie speeches.  Ann was good, but Christie did something great, he was forward looking.  If Mittens can articulate a forward looking vision, he succeeds.  
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #238 on: August 28, 2012, 10:44:31 PM »

Ann did a great job, a perfect balance of personal and political. I think she went a long ways in portraying Romney as more of a 'regular' American rather than a soulless, corporate robot.

Christie however came across as self-serving. Also I am not sure if his repeated attacks against teachers was so wise (there are much easier and lucrative targets for Republicans). Plus nothing he said was particularly memorable.

Ann: A-
Christie: C+
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #239 on: August 28, 2012, 10:47:29 PM »

and in other news....
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm glad they took the woman out for throwing stuff at the camerawoman.  Bigotry isn't tolerated, regardless of the party.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #240 on: August 28, 2012, 10:58:49 PM »

Ann did a great job, a perfect balance of personal and political. I think she went a long ways in portraying Romney as more of a 'regular' American rather than a soulless, corporate robot.

Christie however came across as self-serving. Also I am not sure if his repeated attacks against teachers was so wise (there are much easier and lucrative targets for Republicans). Plus nothing he said was particularly memorable.

Ann: A-
Christie: C+

I think Christie was more about branding the GOP as a party of tough-talking fixers who will say when things will bad and try to lead the country to solutions and better days, not run and hide from the problem. In that, I think it served its purpose. Today was dominated by Governors and small business people and the clear goal was to simultaneously criticize Obama (bleed in from Monday's cancelled stuff) and also showcase real people to do it. The Governors, Kasich, Walker, McDonnell, and Christie were meant to showcase how Republican leadership is different. 

As for Ann, I agree completely. And you have to keep in mind she was delving into their private lives in such fashion as they haven't done before on such a large stage. It is safe to say this a couple that prefers to remain private about their family, religion and such forth and thus this speech had a degree of added difficulty in that sense. I thought she did well.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #241 on: August 28, 2012, 11:02:47 PM »

While everyone is mad over the speech and thinks Christie is cynical. Ask yourselves...where were the Christie signs? Don't most keynoters have their names in banners, signs, plastic things full of air. Obama, Kennedy, (Bush didn't really speak like planned). I'm not sure about Miller, or Ford though.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #242 on: August 28, 2012, 11:11:39 PM »

While everyone is mad over the speech and thinks Christie is cynical. Ask yourselves...where were the Christie signs? Don't most keynoters have their names in banners, signs, plastic things full of air. Obama, Kennedy, (Bush didn't really speak like planned). I'm not sure about Miller, or Ford though.

There were a lot of signs.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #243 on: August 29, 2012, 12:15:08 AM »

Out of the 7 conventions I've seen, this was so far the best, although the keynote was probably 3/7 for me (though it was very good). Anyways, they hammered the small business (build that) angle relentlessly and pretty well. It's a far better executed message than say...2008, which definitely fell on deaf ears.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #244 on: August 29, 2012, 12:18:03 AM »

The entire small business angle is what completely fell flat. That plus Bob McDonnell's lies about Republican states having lower unemployment.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #245 on: August 29, 2012, 12:21:21 AM »

To be quite fair, it's very unlikely you were the target audience of the convention. Or really most political rhetoric.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #246 on: August 29, 2012, 12:37:40 AM »

So, I WAS streaming Ann's speech on 3G from my campsite. Until a bear came and literally knocked the tree down right in front of me.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/05/05/palin-backers-mock-romney_n_196884.html
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #247 on: August 29, 2012, 12:40:03 AM »
« Edited: August 29, 2012, 01:44:18 AM by Mr. Morden »

Btw, I didn't watch the speech, but is Christie trying to do Obama's "terrorist fist bump" here?  Wink

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #248 on: August 29, 2012, 12:56:03 AM »

I saw something in the news about delegates shouting down the speaker from Puerto Rico with chants of "USA!" and "Go home!"

Please, for the sake of everyone's sanity, let that be just a rumor.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vr5kMguEqi8

Just a small section of fascists, I think. Still disgusting though.
Doesn't sound small to me (though it was a mix of "USA" and "Seat Them Now", so a mix of racists and Paulites protesting).

Since it was a Puerto Rico thing, I thought they were saying "Statehood Now."  But, yeah, it was Paulites saying "Seat Them Now,"  and the anti-Paulites started shouting "USA!USA!" because that's what jingos reflexively shout to drown out their opponents.

You guys are off on this one...she wasn't talking to you...this was all aout moms....it was perfect.

Privileged moms, no doubt.
or anyone who has a sentimental pulse.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #249 on: August 29, 2012, 02:19:46 AM »

So, I WAS streaming Ann's speech on 3G from my campsite. Until a bear came and literally knocked the tree down right in front of me. So I missed the end. What I saw of it, though, was absolutely fantastic.

Was the bear easy to see?

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 31  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies