Do you think Ron Paul is capable of running as an independent candidate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:21:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: What are the odds that Paul might run?
100%
very likely
fifty-fifty
rather unlikely
quite unlikely
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Do you think Ron Paul is capable of running as an independent candidate?  (Read 1461 times)
solarstorm
solarstorm2012
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 29, 2012, 09:47:42 AM »

After yesterday's incidents? After many of his legitimately elected delegated had been rejected?

And whom would he choose as his running mate? His son?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 09:56:25 AM »

He won't run.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 10:03:25 AM »

He won't run.

Normally I'd say he's capable of running as an independent, especially after such a good performance in primaries and the simple fact he's retiring. And, believe me, I'd love to see it.

But he's not going to ruin Rand's career: his legacy.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 11:02:20 AM »

People keep asking this question, yet Ron has said over and over that he will not run as a third party candidate.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 11:11:40 AM »

Wouldn't Paul's fans just vote for Gary Johnson?
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 11:12:53 AM »

People keep asking this question, yet Ron has said over and over that he will not run as a third party candidate.

A politician's word; The gold standard
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 11:43:56 AM »

Is there anywhere he can still get on the ballot?  I mean, I don't think this is a matter of Ron Paul's word, I think it's flat-out impossible that he runs.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 11:56:00 AM »

Is there anywhere he can still get on the ballot?  I mean, I don't think this is a matter of Ron Paul's word, I think it's flat-out impossible that he runs.

The Americans Elect ballot line is ripe for the taking in plenty of states; all that would be needed is a takeover of the various bare-bones state organizations. And if there's anything Paul's minions have proven themselves extremely capable of, it's infiltration of existing political institutions.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 12:20:30 PM »

Why is there no '0%' option?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 09:25:01 PM »

Capable? I guess. Will he? No.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 08:35:38 AM »

I don't think so.

There were ways in which he was honored at the convention.

And his son, who shares many of his views, is a freshman Senator in a conservative state.

So Rand Paul will be able to start running for President in the next open Republican primary.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 10:42:48 AM »

If Ron Paul ran for president, I'd tactically vote against him.
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 07:40:43 AM »

Most likely not, I think Dr. Paul wants to have some well-earned time to himself after all these years as a doctor and Congressman. I can see Rand Paul tossing his hat into the ring for the 2016 nomination though, assuming Obama wins again this year.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 06:15:02 PM »

All signs are pointing to a run, though I think his big announcement on Leno this Tuesday will be more about his new LPAC (Liberty Political Action Conference). I think he is strongly looking at a bid-I don't think he would leave his revolution unfinished for four more years just so Rand can pick it up.

49/100 chance he runs.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 06:18:08 PM »

Not a politicians word. Ron Paul's word is the gold standard. You know his tears are currency in some countries, but he doesn't use them because he believes in the gold standard.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 08:48:08 PM »

Behind Mike Bloomberg, and maybe Collin Powell, Ron Paul is the strongest possible third party candidate who could run.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2012, 10:17:26 PM »

No.

Virtually impossible.

He quite likes Mitt.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 12:02:24 AM »

But he does not like the party, and Mitt would be nothing without the party....
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2012, 12:41:37 AM »

The Americans Elect ballot line is ripe for the taking in plenty of states; all that would be needed is a takeover of the various bare-bones state organizations. And if there's anything Paul's minions have proven themselves extremely capable of, it's infiltration of existing political institutions.

Surely the state deadlines for even that must be coming up soon?
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2012, 12:56:03 AM »

He's not going to run, he'll throw in the towel and have a nice cozy retirement afterwards.  His words and ideas of liberty and freedom will continue.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2012, 08:45:50 AM »

Ron Paul is capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound, halting a powerful locomotive, and outrunning a speeding bullet.  Of course he is capable of running as an independent candidate.

Do you think Ron Paul will run this year as an independent candidate?

Quite unlikely.

At least that's how I voted in your poll.  I had a long conversation with him earlier this year, mostly about fiscal and monetary policy, but I did ask him about this.  His answer was vague.  Based on his answer alone, I could not rule it out.  I do think the he is old and tired, and does not really have the desire to stage another general election bid.  Remember, in 1988, when he was on the ballot in over 40 states as a Libertarian candidate, he was much younger.  Also, the LP and the Constitutionalist parties already both have candidates.  And there's no shortage of anti-imperialist independent candidates. 

As I recall, he refused to formally endorse McCain in '08.  He endorsed Nader, among others, but he did not endorse Obama.  I respect him for that.  I also refused to endorse McCain, although I voted for Obama.  As I recall, several erstwhile Republicans on this forum did the same.  (CarlHayden comes to mind, for example.  And there must have been millions of Republicans who voted for Obama, given the latter's huge margin of victory.)  I don't see as much reason not to endorse Romney.  In fact, I see no good reason not to endorse Romney, and apparently neither does Rand Paul.  Romney can at least count on two votes:  mine and Rand Paul's.  I do understand Ron Paul's reasons.  He's a purist.  I respect that also, but I do not think he will actively campaign against the man his son is actively supporting, if for no other reason than he does not want to destroy his son's political aspirations. 
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2012, 02:23:44 PM »

He likes Mitt personally. He doesn't like his policies though, and he was royally snubbed at the RNC, so I'd say his chances are a bit higher than they were earlier. Maybe 20-80.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2012, 02:29:45 PM »

Certainly he's capable (in fact, he did it in 1988), but he won't because he wants to see Rand elected. That's why he's retiring too -- not to be a distraction.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2012, 02:41:38 PM »

Us Johnsonites have already seized the one in Oklahoma.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2012, 02:55:20 PM »

Us Johnsonites have already seized the one in Oklahoma.
If Paul ran, I think Johnson would drop out, and the Libertarian National Committee would nominate Paul as a replacement. Americans Elect would also go for Paul. I can see the Constitution Party dropping Goode/Clymer and endorsing Paul as well.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies