Bill Clinton vs Barack Obama?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:23:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Bill Clinton vs Barack Obama?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Who would you vote for?
Bill Clinton

Barack Obama

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 50

Author Topic: Bill Clinton vs Barack Obama?  (Read 4256 times)
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2012, 12:46:03 AM »

I fully credit Clinton for liberals winning the culture war. Obama's only a disappointment.

The Clinton who signed DOMA into law?
Don't forget DADT.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2012, 01:52:05 AM »

Obama has been a far more effective President than Clinton ever was. So, Obama.

...why do you think so?

I've been pleasantly surprised at his skill at working with Congress in his first two years, and during the lame duck session. He got a lot more legislation through Congress than Clinton, whose health care initiative never even made it out of committee. If he were to win reelection I have little doubt he'd be able to go back and hammer out a deal with Boehner to cut the structural deficit, likely based around the deal they were close to in 2011.

I think Clinton was a center-right president though.  I'm assuming most of the bills Obama got out of congress were during the Democratic majorities in Congress 09-11; Clinton probably didn't want to sign a lot of them, and didn't really lead from the front lines until post-94.
The Lord Marbury
EvilSpaceAlien
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -5.91

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2012, 09:34:33 AM »

Clinton blowout.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2012, 02:29:33 PM »

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2012, 02:34:35 PM »

Obama has been a far more effective President than Clinton ever was. So, Obama.

...why do you think so?

I've been pleasantly surprised at his skill at working with Congress in his first two years, and during the lame duck session. He got a lot more legislation through Congress than Clinton, whose health care initiative never even made it out of committee. If he were to win reelection I have little doubt he'd be able to go back and hammer out a deal with Boehner to cut the structural deficit, likely based around the deal they were close to in 2011.

I think Clinton was a center-right president though.  I'm assuming most of the bills Obama got out of congress were during the Democratic majorities in Congress 09-11; Clinton probably didn't want to sign a lot of them, and didn't really lead from the front lines until post-94.

Clinton's health care plan was to the left of Obama's; remember, Obama's health care plan is what conservatives proposed as the alternative to the Clinton plan in 1993. And he definitely put his personal political capital on the line for it.

Clinton's mistake was that he and Hillary put together the plan in secret in a highly centralized White House committee and then tried to ram it through Congress without sufficiently consulting was Congress was willing to pass. The top-down approach failed. Obama was much smarter about it-- he basically let Congress create the plan and simply endorsed it. Compared to Clinton he was a legislative genius-- the opposite of what I had feared when he came in.

Obama is to the right of Clinton in the other ways too-- he is against Clinton's tax levels, and mostly supports the Bush tax policy.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2012, 08:35:04 PM »
« Edited: September 03, 2012, 08:36:50 PM by President Napoleon »

I fully credit Clinton for liberals winning the culture war. Obama's only a disappointment.

Yeah. For those of us who understand politics at even the most basic of levels, its pretty obvious that DOMA was a way to mitigate the proponents of a Federal Marriage Amendment (and it worked). Clinton came out for gay marriage before Obama, anyway, and didn't need to use a Vice President to cover his ass.

Don't forget DADT.

DADT was a liberalization of the current law. Clinton actively campaigned on allowing gays serve openly in the military, but the compromise DADT was what Congress passed.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies