Whig Liberty Caucus
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:38:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Whig Liberty Caucus
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Whig Liberty Caucus  (Read 2244 times)
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2012, 08:17:28 AM »

Hmm, don't really think this is for me. I'm not a libertarian at heart. I, for one, love wire-tapping, the PATRIOT Act, the 'War on Drugs'; not to mention my 3rd favourite pastime is 'smelling the napalm in the morning'.

Oh well. Tongue
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2012, 08:36:09 AM »

Hmm, don't really think this is for me. I'm not a libertarian at heart. I, for one, love wire-tapping, the PATRIOT Act, the 'War on Drugs'; not to mention my 3rd favourite pastime is 'smelling the napalm in the morning'.

Oh well. Tongue

It's only your third favorite pastime? What are the other two?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2012, 10:36:03 AM »
« Edited: September 02, 2012, 01:58:24 PM by Senator Scott »

I don't think a person can call oneself a libertarian unless they legitimately believe that every aspect of government ought to be minimized and not expanded in any way, shape, or form -- hence why I stopped using the word to classify my ideology a long time ago, but that's just me. Tongue

What about roundabout arguments (sort of recognizing that while the government and other individuals can infringe on liberty, the corporation is just as capable of doing so; thus, the proper role of government is to protect our liberties from both other individuals and corporations)? Roundabout arguments like the idea we need freedom of movement, so yes, the government can build the roads. We need freedom to live without being poisoned, so yes, the government can create national parks, restrict pollution, etc. People aren't really free unless they're free to actually live, so yes, the government can set a minimum wage. No one can be truly free if they are in fear for their lives, so yes, the government can fund emergency services and even some welfare programs. Government isn't the solution to the nation's problems, but it isn't so much about minimizing government intrusion, it's maximizing individual freedom through those who can protect them best from those who would infringe on them.

Well, what you said is mainly what a small minority of libertarians believe -- those being, of course, left-libertarians.  Personally, I've mostly encountered the 'Austrian school-type' libertarians who seem to want to tear every wall of government down, or at least just short of doing so, so that we're living in the kind of country Murray Rothbard idealized: no government whatsoever, including a privatized judicial system.  I know that, obviously, not all libertarians subscribe to the anarcho-capitalist ideology, but their long associations with the Chicago and Austrian schools makes them appear overly idealistic to me; in many ways, the Libertarian Party as a whole is much more liberal than the GOP, but it is also more conservative just for its economic platform alone.

Maybe I'm libertarian in the way that I absolutely despise the idea that we should all sacrifice constitutionally-protected liberties and privacy rights for some politician's perverted idea of "security," but that's about it. Tongue
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2012, 02:27:13 PM »

Oh well. Tongue

My second is destroying healthcare and making sure only the top 1% can access it. My favourite pastime of all though is drinking inexcusable amounts of alcohol.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2012, 02:45:06 PM »

While this is not the perfect caucus for me - I don't exactly qualify as a "libertarian" - I wish this caucus well. There are many good people in it! Wink
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2012, 04:25:03 PM »

I don't think a person can call oneself a libertarian unless they legitimately believe that every aspect of government ought to be minimized and not expanded in any way, shape, or form -- hence why I stopped using the word to classify my ideology a long time ago, but that's just me. Tongue

What about roundabout arguments (sort of recognizing that while the government and other individuals can infringe on liberty, the corporation is just as capable of doing so; thus, the proper role of government is to protect our liberties from both other individuals and corporations)? Roundabout arguments like the idea we need freedom of movement, so yes, the government can build the roads. We need freedom to live without being poisoned, so yes, the government can create national parks, restrict pollution, etc. People aren't really free unless they're free to actually live, so yes, the government can set a minimum wage. No one can be truly free if they are in fear for their lives, so yes, the government can fund emergency services and even some welfare programs. Government isn't the solution to the nation's problems, but it isn't so much about minimizing government intrusion, it's maximizing individual freedom through those who can protect them best from those who would infringe on them.

Well, what you said is mainly what a small minority of libertarians believe -- those being, of course, left-libertarians.  Personally, I've mostly encountered the 'Austrian school-type' libertarians who seem to want to tear every wall of government down, or at least just short of doing so, so that we're living in the kind of country Murray Rothbard idealized: no government whatsoever, including a privatized judicial system.  I know that, obviously, not all libertarians subscribe to the anarcho-capitalist ideology, but their long associations with the Chicago and Austrian schools makes them appear overly idealistic to me; in many ways, the Libertarian Party as a whole is much more liberal than the GOP, but it is also more conservative just for its economic platform alone.

Maybe I'm libertarian in the way that I absolutely despise the idea that we should all sacrifice constitutionally-protected liberties and privacy rights for some politician's perverted idea of "security," but that's about it. Tongue

Well then I'd consider you as libertarian as Russ Feingold.  You're a libertarian on civil liberties issues, if you aren't rabbid gun control, etc.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2012, 04:26:20 PM »

Oh well. Tongue

My second is destroying healthcare and making sure only the top 1% can access it. My favourite pastime of all though is drinking inexcusable amounts of alcohol.

[insert joke about how this is why you Brits spell everything wrong]

Wink Tongue
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2012, 04:27:13 PM »

While this is not the perfect caucus for me - I don't exactly qualify as a "libertarian" - I wish this caucus well. There are many good people in it! Wink

Thanks governor, and good luck to you in your bid for re-election Wink
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2012, 07:21:16 PM »

Napoleon for second preference?  I'm undecided for mine, but should we even endorse someone for second pref?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2012, 09:17:30 PM »

I think we should only make one presidential endorsement, since only one person can become president.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2012, 01:18:41 AM »

I think we should only make one presidential endorsement, since only one person can become president.

Yeah; the runoff voting thing never really made any sense to me.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2012, 06:05:14 PM »

Bump.
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2012, 06:11:33 PM »

[1] Jbrase
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2012, 08:46:54 PM »

He's not even running!
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2012, 08:47:26 PM »

Yes he is. Tongue
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2012, 09:57:39 PM »

I think he was voting on who we should endorse for president, not who should be chairman. Tongue
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2012, 10:04:47 PM »

Hi guys, just thought I'd pop in here while in the neighborhood. Smiley

An endorsement would be nice. Also, be sure to vote in the primary Sept. 9th.

Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2012, 05:29:41 PM »

Oh.  I'm sorry, I had a massive brain fart Shocked.  I just kinda figured that was already decided unanimously Wink.

Anyway, for the presidential endorsement

[1] JBrase
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2012, 05:50:30 PM »

[1] JBrase
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2012, 06:15:04 PM »

Alright so now let's start voting on party chairman.  (Unless anyone's opposed to doing so).  If RP jumps in he has my endorsement.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2012, 07:57:13 PM »

This isn't really a party, so would you call it a party chairman?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies