House races to watch
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:35:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  House races to watch
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: House races to watch  (Read 2028 times)
BM
BeccaM
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 31, 2012, 02:38:04 AM »

Share them.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 02:53:33 AM »

A few off the top of my head:

NC-07
NC-08
GA-12
OH-06
OH-16
MN-08
MD-06
PA-12
NY-27
NY-01
NY-21
NY-24
NH-01
NH-02
AZ-09
MA-06
IL-08
IL-12
IL-06
IL-11
TX-23
IA-03
IA-04
NV-03
NV-04
CA-07
CA-24
WA-01

This list is by no means exhaustive.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 04:24:48 AM »

I would add:

CA-26
CA-41
CA-47 (may be)
CA-52
CO-06
CT-05
FL-18
IL-10
IL-13
IL-17
IN-02
KY-06 (may be)
ME-02 (may be)
MI-01
MI-11
MT-01 (may be)
RI-01
UT-04
VA-02
WI-07

Also top of my head, so, probably, forgot some..
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 04:49:28 AM »

Thanks!
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 05:07:25 AM »

NY-11
NY-18
NY-19
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 10:52:46 AM »

I would contend that UT-02 is almost as exciting as UT-04; in fact, if Mia Love's poll numbers are as painfully weak as they've been so far, UT-02 might be more exciting. Of course, to find out just how close or safe UT-02 is, it would need to be polled, and nobody seems willing to do that. Of course, because it's not being polled, nobody thinks it could be close, and so it won't be polled, and so on.

I don't have very much info on congressional races in other states, but whichever Illinois district has Tammy Duckworth and Joe Walsh facing off will be fun to watch.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 11:14:35 AM »

FL-18 will be big (Allen West); I'll throw in FL-22 for Sanchez as well. FL-16 is currently occupied by mega-HP Vern Buchanan, though polling for Keith Fitzgerald has been awful recently, but I could see it getting better. David Riviera in FL-26 has been scandal-ridden and the Democrats could unseat him. FL-02 could be a sleeper race, since it now includes all of Tallahassee, and the Democrats have a decent candidate there. Val Demings might be able to knock out 'Taliban Dan'. I'm not sure whether or not John Mica is vulnerable, so keep that in the back of your mind as well. Grayson would normally have the advantage in FL-09, but he's facing a Hispanic Republican; that could be interesting. It'd be interesting to see Yoho's performance in FL-03. There's also an actual challenger (who's qualified for Emily's List funding and such) against Bill Young, so that could be interesting as well. That's basically all of Florida's races.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 11:25:16 AM »

Jackie Walorski barely lost to Donnelly in 2010. This time around, her opponent isn't as well-known, isn't as well-funded, and is to the left of where Donnelly was. Plus, the district is more GOP-friendly than it was in 2010.

It might be within 10 points, but it's not going to be a race to watch. Smiley
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 12:10:36 PM »

FL-18 will be big (Allen West); I'll throw in FL-22 for Sanchez as well. FL-16 is currently occupied by mega-HP Vern Buchanan, though polling for Keith Fitzgerald has been awful recently, but I could see it getting better. David Riviera in FL-26 has been scandal-ridden and the Democrats could unseat him. FL-02 could be a sleeper race, since it now includes all of Tallahassee, and the Democrats have a decent candidate there. Val Demings might be able to knock out 'Taliban Dan'. I'm not sure whether or not John Mica is vulnerable, so keep that in the back of your mind as well. Grayson would normally have the advantage in FL-09, but he's facing a Hispanic Republican; that could be interesting. It'd be interesting to see Yoho's performance in FL-03. There's also an actual challenger (who's qualified for Emily's List funding and such) against Bill Young, so that could be interesting as well. That's basically all of Florida's races.

I'm not sure who "Sanchez" is, but FL-22 is Lois Frankel against Adam Hasner.
Also, In FL-09 Grayson isn't facing a hispanic republican, the hispanic republican lost the primary to a tea party person named Todd Long.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 01:46:35 PM »

I'm not sure who "Sanchez" is, but FL-22 is Lois Frankel against Adam Hasner.
Also, In FL-09 Grayson isn't facing a hispanic republican, the hispanic republican lost the primary to a tea party person named Todd Long.

Sanchez is a fellow poster who's working for the Hasner campaign Tongue

And right, I expected Quinones to win; under these circumstances it'll be interesting to see how much of a margin Grayson manages to run up.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 07:26:54 PM »

WI-1 should be interesting just based on the fact that a Vice Presidential nominee is running in that district. 
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 07:35:31 PM »

Also would a few people be interested in doing group House projections a group? I was thinking it would be fun to have a group with a few democrats, few republicans and a few independents were we would vote on the ratings for each district and then establishing the 538 projections. Would anyone be interested? 
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 09:28:23 PM »

I think I am going to pump in the max that is legal into CA-47. I want to meet the Pub candidate first however - up close and personal - and get the measure of the man.  It is an interesting race.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 09:30:41 PM »

tmi
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 05:18:07 PM »

MA-06 is the race I'm watching. Not because it'll tell much about the national mood, but it's an interesting study on how bad a person has to be to lose re-election to a D+7 district. And, of course, how good a Republican candidate you have to be to luck into office. Can former long-term State Senator Tisei really lose here when Brown will almost certainly win the district by a notable margin?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 07:12:14 PM »

Also would a few people be interested in doing group House projections a group? I was thinking it would be fun to have a group with a few democrats, few republicans and a few independents were we would vote on the ratings for each district and then establishing the 538 projections. Would anyone be interested? 

PM me. Nagas said that he was interested too; Fuzzy and I already made a ratings map with the new CDs, but that was back in March/April and needs to be updated.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 02:59:41 AM »

Interested (PM me if you want me in the group). Though now i am Russia-based - connections remains)))
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2012, 05:21:50 PM »

As I said in another thread FL-2 isn't gonna be competitive, a Tallahassee liberal won't be able to win much from the rural areas that dominate the district. The best (not saying very much) candidate would have been state representative Bembry, but he lost in the primary (along with my professor). And Corrine is going to win her normal, depressing landslide oops, old district 3. Other then that, good estimation.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2012, 05:28:00 PM »

I'm interested too. PM me if you would like my input.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2012, 01:45:32 PM »

Is it possible that the WI-01 race might be an exciting one? I've heard that Zerban is getting a lot of attention from the Dems, and I think they'll be motivated to try and defeat Paul Ryan once and for all.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2012, 01:53:39 PM »

I would be very interested Gass.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2012, 02:10:32 PM »

As I said in another thread FL-2 isn't gonna be competitive, a Tallahassee liberal won't be able to win much from the rural areas that dominate the district. The best (not saying very much) candidate would have been state representative Bembry, but he lost in the primary (along with my professor). And Corrine is going to win her normal, depressing landslide oops, old district 3. Other then that, good estimation.

Corrine's now in FL-05; the new one is Stearns' old seat, but Stearns got knocked out in the primary by a retired veterinarian who no one's ever heard of, running against an African-American Democrat who might run up enough margins in Alachua to make it competitive (Yoho apparently opposes all earmarks, which could mean a major drop in federal funding for UF). And old FL-02 wouldn't be competitive, but new FL-02 includes all of Leon, Gadsden, and Quincy Counties, areas where Lawson can overperform even if he drops much of the rest of the district (Bembry would have been a much stronger candidate though, I agree).
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2012, 10:25:14 PM »

PM me. Nagas said that he was interested too; Fuzzy and I already made a ratings map with the new CDs, but that was back in March/April and needs to be updated.

I want in!
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2012, 10:31:04 PM »

TexasDemocrat, Napoleon and Vosem: PM Miles and let him know you want in. Also give him a region of the country you'd be willing to fallow.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2012, 12:05:27 AM »

TexasDemocrat, Napoleon and Vosem: PM Miles and let him know you want in. Also give him a region of the country you'd be willing to fallow.

This. Anyone who wants to help us is welcome!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies