Are You Better Off Now Than You Were 4 Years Ago?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:31:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Are You Better Off Now Than You Were 4 Years Ago?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Are You Better Off Now Than You Were 4 Years Ago?  (Read 2311 times)
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 01, 2012, 09:58:44 PM »

As previously stated, this is the most important question of any presidential election, and could make or break Barack Obama.
So, personally, are you better off now than you were four years ago. If so or if not, then why?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 10:17:25 PM »

A resounding NO.

Four years ago I had graduated high school, had a semester of college under my belt and was looking forward to a career in the U.S. Air Force.

My father was looking to retire in January 2009 and bought a boat.

His wife was working hard at school to become an EKG worker.

My sister was in High School working and living on her own.

Since that time, my Air Force dreams were shattered and I'm now a waiter. My father had to go back to work and sell his boat. His wife had three heart attacks, couldn't continue trying for the EKG job and owes more medical bills. My sister got pregnant and had to make ends meet and now is married with a second baby but still finds it difficult.

Overall, the last four years have been a nightmare with a far left wing President as the backdrop.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 10:19:21 PM »

A resounding NO.

Four years ago I had graduated high school, had a semester of college under my belt and was looking forward to a career in the U.S. Air Force.

Since that time, my Air Force dreams were shattered and I'm now a waiter. My father had to go back to work and sell his boat. His wife had three heart attacks, couldn't continue trying for the EKG job and owes more medical bills. My sister got pregnant and had to make ends meet and now is married with a second baby but still finds it difficult.

Overall, the last four years have been a nightmare with a far left wing President as the backdrop.
But what happened to stop all those things from happening? Was it the 2007-2009 Recession perhaps?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 10:28:17 PM »

A resounding NO.

Yeah, I'm sure it's all Obama's fault.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 10:33:57 PM »

A resounding NO.

None of that is Obama's fault, although it's not like you care.

And yes, I'm better off now than I was four years ago.
izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 10:43:02 PM »

I'm amazingly better off.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 10:46:22 PM »

No. But then again, I don't really think it's possible for me to feel better off than I was four years ago. If we're talking about my personal finances, I'm probably a little worse off but I don't really think of myself as that materialist. I don't really have a driving desire to have nice cars, McMansions, designer clothing, go to fancy restaurants, or have an income high enough for Obama to raise taxes on me next year. Once I clear the "you're doing pretty well" bar, everything beyond that is pretty much the same. And I have not fallen below that bar. In fact, it is exceedingly improbable I will ever fall below that bar because I generally manage my finances well and have a very large, close-knit family-community.

That being say, under Obama, my financial situation has deteriorated just a little bit and when I'm my parent's age, it will probably not be as good as theirs. Then again, even though it's unfortunate, their standard of living is pretty damn good, so I'm not that bothered personally, because I still feel pretty damn good about my life. However, I'm absolutely certain that my kids are definitely not going to have it as good as I am if Barack Obama is reelected. And they definitely could fall below that bar. And that's just not acceptable.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 11:10:46 PM »

On a personal level, slightly. 

On a financial level, not even close. 
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 11:19:39 PM »

I am better off. The 2000s were a lost decade for me.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 11:52:46 PM »

Yes, absolutely.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 12:14:58 AM »
« Edited: September 02, 2012, 12:44:26 AM by Torie »

I am, in so many ways, none of which had anything at all to do with anything Obama has done. And my clan line is coming to an end, so while I sorrow for those of younger generations, and indeed of those not yet born, as to what has been wrought, my clan will have returned to dust perhaps before the bills of excess and cowardice and refusal to make the hard choices must be paid. So while I grieve, and I do, it just isn't so personal as it might be. In the meantime I have had a roommate for about 6 months, with his kids in my home about a third of the time, who can't find a job to save his life, and I have been basically supporting them all. It is at least one small beau geste that I can do, for those I care about.

And you know what? The old saying is true. I have really benefitted by the experience of simply giving what I have to give, and playing the role of father for the first time in my life to some extent. And I can see and feel, I would like to believe, that I am having a positive influence on the kids. They are being exposed to another way of living, manners, thinking, vocabulary, molding behavior through more subtle ways than shouting, and being praised when it is due, and forgiven, when they make mistakes, that are merely a function of their age, as long as they understand why and accept what they did is not the way to live, and most importantly, not in their best interests, putting aside anyone else's best interests. The boys are age 7 and 11.

My next goal is to get them to actually start reading for pleasure (what a concept!), rather than watching trash on TV and playing video games ad nauseum on the computer. But more likely their Dad will finally find a job, and they will be gone soon. So my fondest hope is that someday they will look back on their time spent with me, and remember it as a positive experience. Today I taught them the word "misapprehension."  They seemed intrigued by the word. After I explained it, the seven year old said, it means "mistake" huh?  I said close, but it is more a matter about the way the mind perceives being mistaken, as if your senses were playing tricks one you. I told them the closest word that I could think of "misunderstanding." And then we discussed that word for a bit.

Oh, and when the boys are around, my pot is in the upstairs closet. Ah the sacrifices! But  my male "friends" still come over even when the boys are here (there are limits to my level of sacrifice), and we all sit down to dinner together, the dad, the boys, and my friend, and we show affection (it is hard to believe, but I am actually these days a very affectionate person), the boys just accept that as part of the landscape, sort of like everything else in their lives. I think I am making a positive difference there too. In the end, we are all just folks, nothing more, nothing less. The rest is noise.

And so it goes. I kind of wandered off topic didn't I? It won't be for the first time!  Smiley
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 12:18:53 AM »

Clan line coming to an end?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 12:19:06 AM »

Oh my gosh, you're turning into angus. Smiley

As for me, yes I am. I'm making more than twice as much as I was in 2008 and I have more savings, even though I haven't always spent my money wisely.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 12:20:52 AM »

The sole individual of the next generation, my nephew,  is schizophrenic. He won't be siring issue. The Dunn line is coming to an end. We're finished.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 12:22:05 AM »

Since 2008, my guaranteed week-to-week income has declined by about 30%. The main difference is that I went from having a drone job working 40 hours per week to being functionally self-employed, setting my own hours, picking my clients and generally having a more relaxed approach to things. I was out of work for one year and accumulated a good amount of debt during that time, but am now on the mend. In essence, I've traded a higher income and security for the freedom to pursue my own path. I also have health insurance now.

In many ways - and in my own eyes - I am better off.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 12:32:32 AM »

Meh, I haven't noticed anything.

And even if not, I can understand that replacing our current fool with another fool who's also right wing isn't going to make it any better.
ucscgaldamez

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2012, 12:39:40 AM »

I am doing a lot better. My family is also doing better than four years ago.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2012, 12:51:59 AM »

The sole individual of the next generation, my nephew,  is schizophrenic. He won't be siring issue. The Dunn line is coming to an end. We're finished.

Ah. I'm very sorry about that. But uh, I don't mean to pry, but how does actually happen? And uh, from what I have seen, mental illness and reproduction are not necessarily mutually self-excluding...
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2012, 01:02:52 AM »

Ah. I'm very sorry about that. But uh, I don't mean to pry, but how does actually happen? And uh, from what I have seen, mental illness and reproduction are not necessarily mutually self-excluding...

Some people do not reproduce for that reason; some can't legally marry due to diminished capacity.

In my case, I have plenty of male cousins, with children.  It is not like I'm heir to a peerage.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2012, 01:06:48 AM »

He is very much alone in his fantasy world. It's painful, yes. I tried - and failed. I more than met my match with his disease, and I did fight. Oh how I fought. But I lost.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2012, 01:12:48 AM »

Torie's a closet stoner?

That explains why his posts sound so enthusiastic and happy all the time. Tongue
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2012, 01:22:05 AM »

Much.

My 401K has doubled (well in the past 3 1/2 years).

Refinanced my house at record low interest rates.

Osama's Dead.

GM's Alive.

We are out of Iraq.

We are getting out of Afghanistan.

If I should lose my job or choose to retire early I will be guaranteed to be able to buy health insurance on the private market.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2012, 01:24:14 AM »

Torie's a closet stoner?

That explains why his posts sound so enthusiastic and happy all the time. Tongue

Only in front of kids, dude. 
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2012, 02:00:38 AM »

If you asked my family this six months ago then yes. However, my father lost his job, so no.

As for me personally, I was never employed in the first place. Come back to me in four years time.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2012, 02:46:08 AM »

Are you telling us you didn't know.

Get the hell out of here.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies