Opinion of Margaret Thatcher
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:32:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Margaret Thatcher
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: FF or HP?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 68

Author Topic: Opinion of Margaret Thatcher  (Read 5539 times)
lowtech redneck
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2012, 02:29:48 PM »

FF
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2012, 02:53:48 PM »

What's with all the hackish, hateful votes and posts?  Massive FF.
It's her own voice, basically.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2012, 02:57:55 PM »

FF, duh
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2012, 03:13:03 PM »

Ugh.  Britain is a wreckage just like the US.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2012, 03:15:19 PM »

We can't all live in the Good Place, opebo. Wink
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2012, 05:17:56 PM »

There's a reason that the public still don't quite trust the Tories, 22 years later and it's because she was a mega-HP.

To be brief.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2012, 07:47:41 PM »
« Edited: September 05, 2012, 08:16:34 PM by Leftbehind »

This.

Sickening website.

The lowest of the low.
I'd definitely say supporting Pinochet is lower.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2012, 12:41:01 AM »

Sickening website.

The lowest of the low.

Wormyguy, Pingvin and a few other fellows would disagree, however.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2012, 01:04:51 AM »

Sickening website.

The lowest of the low.

And I do too. Pinochet was...messy, but necessary.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2012, 01:09:03 AM »

Sickening website.

The lowest of the low.

Oh dear God. For a moment I even thought you were a decent poster.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2012, 01:42:17 AM »
« Edited: September 06, 2012, 01:46:32 AM by 後援会 »

Sickening website.

The lowest of the low.

Chile is by far, the most prosperous and most socially just country in South America. Contrary to popular history, Allende was a grade-A, anti-democratic asshole. Of course, Pinochet was too, but at the very least he left the country in decent shape. And you know, actually gave up dictatorship after it clearly obvious Chile wanted his butt out. Something rare among autocrats today (lol Gadaffi, lol Al-Assad). Quite easily the least of many evils. And anyone who argues the contrary is simply ignoring the reality Chile faced.

For all our partisan bickering in America, especially about foreign policy, I have no doubt that both Barack Obama and Mitt Romney would have backed Pinochet. Such is the deliciousness of bipartisanship.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2012, 07:21:14 AM »

What's amusing about the morally bankrupt and strikingly dishonest arguments used by a certain type of idiot right-winger to defend Pinochet is the fact that the structure is exactly the same as used to be used by a certain type of idiot left-winger to defend the Soviet Union.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2012, 08:27:57 AM »

Sickening website.

The lowest of the low.

Chile is by far, the most prosperous and most socially just country in South America. Contrary to popular history, Allende was a grade-A, anti-democratic asshole. Of course, Pinochet was too, but at the very least he left the country in decent shape. And you know, actually gave up dictatorship after it clearly obvious Chile wanted his butt out. Something rare among autocrats today (lol Gadaffi, lol Al-Assad). Quite easily the least of many evils. And anyone who argues the contrary is simply ignoring the reality Chile faced.

For all our partisan bickering in America, especially about foreign policy, I have no doubt that both Barack Obama and Mitt Romney would have backed Pinochet. Such is the deliciousness of bipartisanship.

Now, shut up, please. Chile may be the justest country in South America, but I'm pretty sure it was because of the "Concertación". I doubt Chile was a just country under Pinochet. I really doubt it. How can you support him? He was a genocide, a fascist. Maybe you are, too? Because, at least, Pingvin doesn't try to hide he's a nazi.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2012, 08:32:12 AM »

Such a laughably weak defence there, it's not really worth replying to.

Sickening website.

The lowest of the low.

No doubt including some if not all of the Tories on here, which is why any outrage from them that people were wishing death on Thatcher rings hollow.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2012, 10:44:00 AM »

Sickening website.

The lowest of the low.

Now, shut up, please. Chile may be the justest country in South America, but I'm pretty sure it was because of the "Concertación". I doubt Chile was a just country under Pinochet. I really doubt it. How can you support him? He was a genocide, a fascist. Maybe you are, too? Because, at least, Pingvin doesn't try to hide he's a nazi.

Fascist? Eh, maybe, kind of, not really. Genocide? Are you frigging serious? Do you even know what genocide is? There's a good case for genocide to be made in Guatemala - but Chile? Are you frigging serious?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2012, 11:03:20 AM »

Massive HP. Neoliberalism is third to only communism and fascism in terms of being a horrible ideology responsible for untold death, deprivation, and destruction.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2012, 11:20:47 AM »

Massive HP. Neoliberalism is third to only communism and fascism in terms of being a horrible ideology responsible for untold death, deprivation, and destruction.

Oh, come off it.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2012, 11:13:44 PM »

What's amusing about the morally bankrupt and strikingly dishonest arguments used by a certain type of idiot right-winger to defend Pinochet is the fact that the structure is exactly the same as used to be used by a certain type of idiot left-winger to defend the Soviet Union.

Is this supposed to be some biting criticism? Try again, bro.

Supporting the Soviet Union as the lesser of two evils? I'm not ashamed to say that I do - in the context of their war with Nazi Germany.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2012, 06:33:59 AM »

Is this supposed to be some biting criticism? Try again, bro.

No, it was just abuse. Your argument was so craven and morally and intellectually bankrupt that it did not deserve anything other than abuse.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

No, I was pretty clearly referring to the remaining (enthusiastic and orthodox, if a caveat is needed) Western Communists after 1956.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2012, 07:40:00 AM »

Sickening website.

The lowest of the low.

Fascist? Eh, maybe, kind of, not really. Genocide? Are you frigging serious? Do you even know what genocide is? There's a good case for genocide to be made in Guatemala - but Chile? Are you frigging serious?

LoL, you don't think Pinochet was a fascist. That probably means YOU are Wink
And genocide? Not at the levels of Hitler or Stalin, but because he didn't had that power. But, yes, a genocide. How can you argue he isn't? What's next? Golden Down aren't nazis, or Franco was elected in consecutive free elections?
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2012, 10:24:20 AM »

Sickening website.

The lowest of the low.

LoL, you don't think Pinochet was a fascist. That probably means YOU are Wink
And genocide? Not at the levels of Hitler or Stalin, but because he didn't had that power. But, yes, a genocide. How can you argue he isn't? What's next? Golden Down aren't nazis, or Franco was elected in consecutive free elections?

Ahahahaha, no. The very fact you've think right-wing authoritarian state and fascist state are equivalent displays a shocking ignorance of what fascism is. Corporatism? Jingoism? The hell you talking about? If anything, the closest ideology to fascism that still survives is Peronism.

Also, state repression is not genocide. Genocide isn't "lol government killed people". Genocide is a terrifying phenomenon, but it's not something that springs up immediately because of a repressive government. The conflation of these two is very ignorant.

You should educate yourself about history before slinging around charges of fascism and other inaccurate polemics.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2012, 11:24:15 AM »

Genocide is not accurate, but mass murder certainly is. And the fact that that was what he was doing was well known at the time and impossible to deny.

You should also consider educating yourself about history.
Emperor Dubya
Rookie

« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2012, 11:29:50 AM »

Except whereas the right left Chile a prosperous, free nation with fair elections (after Pinochet left), the left left Russia with mass poverty, unemployment, corruption and misery.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2012, 11:39:54 AM »

Except whereas the right left Chile a prosperous, free nation with fair elections (after Pinochet left), the left left Russia with mass poverty, unemployment, corruption and misery.

Actually this is exactly the sort of bullsh!t argument that Stalinist idiots used to - and the ones still around still do - use to defend their beloved USSR! Stalin, it was/is argued, successfully modernised and industrialised Russia, therefore making everything else basically alright. It is a despicable and dishonest argument, of course, as is yours.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2012, 11:41:27 AM »
« Edited: September 07, 2012, 11:43:59 AM by Mitt Montgomery Burns »

And on that note, this thread is locked. I suppose a thread about Thatcher was likely to turn out like this.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies